Punaweb Forum
Leilani using drones for CCR enforcement? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Leilani using drones for CCR enforcement? (/showthread.php?tid=18895)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Leilani using drones for CCR enforcement? - leilanidude - 10-25-2017

Just heard that Leilani has been using a drone to do flyovers of people's property to enforce CCR's, including to check what they see vs the County building permits. Anyone with any knowledge of this? I cannot imagine this being a smart idea. Wonder how long until the association gets sued...

RE: Leilani using drones for CCR enforcement? - leilaniguy - 10-25-2017

I thought it was mentioned here on Punaweb, but can't find it now. My understanding is it's not the subdivision doing it, just a pesky resident.

RE: Leilani using drones for CCR enforcement? - Kapoho Joe - 10-25-2017

Not sure how the Association could be sued, given that they are fulfilling their stated duties. The only people who have a problem with this new methodology are people with something to hide. Don't give me that tired old privacy argument either - they could just as easily drive up to your house instead. This is just the new, modern, cost effective way of surveying many lots over a long distance.

RE: Leilani using drones for CCR enforcement? - kalakoa - 10-25-2017

Don't give me that tired old privacy argument either

Fine, let's use the current precedent set by the courts: "public view" means from a public place with the unaided eyes. Technologies such as drone flights, infrared cameras, etc, can see things that are not "in the public view", which means that using these technologies to bring any complaint alleging violation of CC&R and/or County Code is effectively based on evidence which is not admissible in a court proceeding.

County's Pictometry system suffers from this same limitation, but nobody dares sue County, because win or lose, you have to move off the island.

To wax philosophical: why can't they just leave us alone to live our lives in peace? Isn't it enough that we pay plenty taxes (property, fuel, GET) and receive few (if any) services?

Commercial drone operators (any "business use" or "intent to profit") are required to obtain a certificate from the FAA.

Drones must also be registered and may only fly within operator's line-of-sight; fines and penalties apply for non-compliance.

RE: Leilani using drones for CCR enforcement? - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 10-25-2017

The only people who have a problem with this new methodology are people with something to hide. Don't give me that tired old privacy argument either -

What about the next step?
A drone flies up to your bathroom or bedroom window at 10 PM with a night vision video camera...
Have we crossed the line yet?

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau

Have we crossed the line yet?

There's a line?

RE: Leilani using drones for CCR enforcement? - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 10-25-2017

There's a line?

It's a dotted line.
So the drone can fly through the spaces.

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau

It's a dotted line.

Right: the one where Judge R. Stamp makes his mark.

RE: Leilani using drones for CCR enforcement? - glinda - 10-25-2017

quote:
Originally posted by Kapoho Joe

Don't give me that tired old privacy argument either..
Hey let's throw out all our constitutional rights while we're at it. What the hell, we don't need 'em do we?