Punaweb Forum
Residential Elevators - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Residential Elevators (/showthread.php?tid=18975)

Pages: 1 2

Residential Elevators - taropatch - 11-24-2017

Anyone have any experience or recommendations with having a residential elevator (vertical) installed in the home? Not interested in stair lifts -- just regular elevators. Some companies I've googled are Stiltz, Elevator Services, and Access Lifts of Hawaii (mostly stair lifts) but have not made any calls yet. Old age combined with leg problems has started to become an issue. My family member's first floor is mainly the garage and a studio so that is basically the other option.

RE: Residential Elevators - Guest - 11-24-2017

Really don't know Taropatch ... I would imagine this would be a super fun project to work on. I have made lifts for non-human things : )
Please let me know some parameters.

Internal/External ?( through floor vs. up the side ), load ?? desired floor area, two story ???

Have a nice day and keep working on strength.

RE: Residential Elevators - alaskyn66 - 11-24-2017

Get a hold of otis elevator company they pretty much invented it. They can install an elevator in your home and provide service if need be.

RE: Residential Elevators - terracore - 11-25-2017

I don't know about the elevators but one of the features of the stair lifts is that the chair is battery powered (it charges while its fully up or down) so power outages aren't an issue.

RE: Residential Elevators - Seeb - 11-25-2017

$20,000 at least

RE: Residential Elevators - ElysianWort - 11-25-2017

For less than $20,000 you could construct a rudimentary elevator on the outside of the house with a cage, a pulley, an extra doorway cut on the outside of the house and a donkey attached to said cage with a carrot dangling overhead as ass incentive.

RE: Residential Elevators - Rob Tucker - 11-25-2017

One of my clients installed a vertical elevator in their home for about $12k as I recall.

RE: Residential Elevators - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 11-25-2017

rudimentary elevator on the outside of the house with a cage... a donkey attached to said cage

One of the many advantages of owning a lot in a subdivision zoned ag

“Facts fall from the poetic observer as ripe seeds.” -Henry Thoreau

RE: Residential Elevators - taropatch - 11-25-2017

quote:
Originally posted by RWR

Really don't know Taropatch ... I would imagine this would be a super fun project to work on. I have made lifts for non-human things : )
Please let me know some parameters.

Internal/External ?( through floor vs. up the side ), load ?? desired floor area, two story ???

Have a nice day and keep working on strength.

The elevator would run internally from the garage up through the floor to the "deck" above and adjacent to the wall with stairs on the other side of the wall. Two story house and the elevator floor would be 5 X 4 whatever?

Yeah something like this would run about $20K. Stair lifts go around $5K. I am told elevators increase property value and stair lifts less so. Thanks for the responses.

RE: Residential Elevators - MarkP - 11-25-2017

I installed a stair-lift in my parents' house a year ago and just installed a second one to the lower family room level. When you need them you really need them. I considered a vertical lift or elevator but had no room. The first lift cost $800. The second lift cost $1350 with delivery and some help installing it. Both were used. I found them on Craigslist. They are just so much simpler than an elevator. What I might have preferred was an inclined platform lift. It installs over the existing stairs. When the platform is at the bottom you can descend the stairs in the conventional manner and you end up standing on the platform which is resting on the floor. The difference from the stair lift is that a wheelchair can ride on it. They seemed to go for $8000 th $10000.