Punaweb Forum
List of areas with high speed intern - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: List of areas with high speed intern (/showthread.php?tid=19194)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

List of areas with high speed intern - acoloradan - 02-12-2018

We're considering a move from the mainland to Puna. I work remotely and high speed internet is critical for that. From the research I've done it seems there are two options in Puna:

1) Cable internet (Spectrum)
2) Fiber internet (Hawaiian Tel)

I have been unable to locate a comprehensive list of what areas support these two options. From my own research I've compiled the following information:

Cable
* Hawaiian Beaches - the whole neighborhood (checked via Google streetview)
* HPP - some streets near the highway and a few streets near the coast. How far into HPP does cable go? I can't confirm with streetview.
* Nanawale Estates - some streets (checked via Google streetview). Is the whole neighborhood covered?
* Leilani Estates - some streets (checked via Google streetview). Is the whole neighborhood covered?

Fiber
* Eden Roc - entire subdivision
* Fern Acres - parts (checked sample of addresses on service availability page)
* Fern Forest - parts (checked sample of addresses on service availability page)
* Hawaiian Acres - parts (checked sample of addresses on service availability page)
* Orchidland - parts (checked sample of addresses on service availability page)

The press release from Hawaiian Tel announcing Fiber expansion: http://bigislandnow.com/2017/12/19/hawaiian-telcom-expands-fiber-broadband-to-5000-rural-hawaii-locations/ seems to indicate several other neighborhoods in Puna may have Fiber including: Kapoho, Kalapana, Leilani Estates, and Nanawale Estates. I have checked multiple addresses in these neighborhoods on the service availability page (https://www.hawaiiantel.com/CheckforService/tabid/1607/Default.aspx?leadpath=HSI) and cannot find ANY addresses with fiber available. Does anyone know where in these neighborhoods fiber is actually available? Am I missing any other areas with cable internet?

Thanks!

RE: List of areas with high speed intern - leilanidude - 02-12-2018

Coverage, especially for Hawaiian Telcom (DSL) does not mean that you can actually get the service. In many of the areas that they do cover, all of the ports are full. They do not maintain a waiting list.

Waiting for Kalakoa to chime in on...

RE: List of areas with high speed intern - acoloradan - 02-12-2018

I'm not even considering DSL as high speed internet because of the port availability issues and, frankly, the miserable speeds. I'm only considering the new Fiber internet, which I assume if they say is available it means it's actually available since it doesn't suffer from the same port issues as DSL.

RE: List of areas with high speed intern - DanielP - 02-12-2018

Saturday a HI TELCOM Rep came to Fern Forest to lay out the info about fiber coming in. He said that it could be in in as short as 3 months. 1G service. Mostly on the outskirts where the don't have copper. $49.95/ Mo. Phone and internet.
P.S. I would suggest Fern Acres[:0]

RE: List of areas with high speed intern - leilanidude - 02-12-2018

which I assume if they say is available it means it's actually available
-----------
Don't trust that either. Dis ain't da mainland. LOL

Also, Streetview in most areas hasn't been updated for several years.

RE: List of areas with high speed intern - PaulW - 02-12-2018

In HPP it (Spectrum cable) goes from the ocean to 2nd Street at least, hopefully further by now.
It's also up at the highway but I'm not sure how far in it goes.

RE: List of areas with high speed intern - acoloradan - 02-12-2018

quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

which I assume if they say is available it means it's actually available
-----------
Don't trust that either. Dis ain't da mainland. LOL

Also, Streetview in most areas hasn't been updated for several years.

LOL indeed. There have been some posts on this forum indicating that fiber has indeed arrived to Eden Roc, at least.

I realize that streetview is out-of-date, but I'm hoping that cable infra has not been taken DOWN in the meantime! The Spectrum site is worthless. I can plug in made up addresses and it shows availability.

If you want any pictures in HPP (I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, to show cable is available) I can take some for you.

RE: List of areas with high speed intern - Aaron S - 02-12-2018

quote:
Originally posted by leilanidude

Coverage, especially for Hawaiian Telcom (DSL) does not mean that you can actually get the service. In many of the areas that they do cover, all of the ports are full. They do not maintain a waiting list.

Waiting for Kalakoa to chime in on...

There is big differences between DSL and GPON Fiber-optic cables. DSL is a shared connection over your phone line. FTTP is a dedicated connection to your home with faster speeds available compared to DSL.

By the way, the OP was talking about fiber-optic cable and Cable modem availability, not DSL.

By the way, welcome to Hawaii (in advance), fellow digital nomad!