Punaweb Forum
The case of the brown dots - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: The case of the brown dots (/showthread.php?tid=19228)

Pages: 1 2

The case of the brown dots - rbakker - 02-24-2018

Aloha!

A few years ago here on Punaweb someone reported a strange brown line on the walls of their kitchen, at the same height all the way around, about 3ft from the ceiling. Someone brilliantly suggested that it came from the ceiling fan (spray) and that was the case!

Maybe someone can give me some ideas about where these brown dots on my lanai come from. I live in HPP near the ocean in a 2-story wooden post and pier house. I have a large wraparound lanai and the last few months I have been noticing what looks like brown spatter in random places on the lanai.

It's brown, almost the color of dried blood. I don't think there are any murders going on on my lanai! Every week or so I notice another new one.

Could it be birds, geckos, insects, moths? Anyone else seen this? I have a cat but it also happens in areas where she doesn't go. It could be a neighbor's pet though. But, sometimes it's on railings, which seems unlikely.

Any ideas?

mahalo

RE: The case of the brown dots - hotinhawaii - 02-24-2018

Are these raised dark dots the size of a typed period? I get them on my car all the time. No idea what they are. They don’t easily wash off. Have to scrape them off.

RE: The case of the brown dots - leilaniguy - 02-24-2018

I think it might be gecko bombs. They do that.

RE: The case of the brown dots - oink - 02-24-2018

It sounds like fly poo although that's usually a little lighter than dried blood.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

RE: The case of the brown dots - birdmove - 02-24-2018

Maybe little fungus? As in, there's fungus among us.

Jon in Keaau/HPP

RE: The case of the brown dots - rbakker - 02-24-2018

Thanks for the ideas!

hotinhawaii - they are larger than typed periods, not raised
leilaniguy - I have plenty of geckos inside the house and have never seen this there. Also plenty on the lanai, maybe gecko blood?
oink - I think it's too big to be fly poo, sorry I didn't describe the size, they're mostly round, like drops of water
birdmove - could be fungus, but nothing like I've ever seen and in strange locations

RE: The case of the brown dots - TomK - 02-24-2018

rbakker - can you wash the stuff off?

It sounds like gecko poo or wee to me, but can't be certain from your description. I've noticed that geckos can be quite territorial at times, so seeing this in specific areas doesn't surprise me. I have a couple of geckos that leave stains like that on my TV screen of all places and they often enjoy playing tag when I'm watching a show. It can be quite distracting at times.

RE: The case of the brown dots - Durian Fiend - 02-25-2018

Round? My guess is fungus, not poop.

RE: The case of the brown dots - MarkD - 02-25-2018

The case of the brown dots. Hmmmmmmm. Sherlock Holmes lived on Bakker St. (Or was it Baker St?) Is there a connection to the OP?

RE: The case of the brown dots - dayna - 02-25-2018

likely gecko or roach poop.

Dayna

www.E-Z-Caps.com