Punaweb Forum
catchment pump etc recommendations? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: catchment pump etc recommendations? (/showthread.php?tid=19283)

Pages: 1 2

catchment pump etc recommendations? - terracore - 03-13-2018

I think our catchment pump is nearing the end of it's life and it's time for me to start researching replacements. Our Grundfos has been a champ but I was wondering about lower power options. It's a well pump and the lights dim and the house practically shakes everytime it roars into action. Since we're not pumping water from below the ground it seems overbuilt for our application.

Follow-up question, if I replace the pump, do I wait for the old pressure tank to fail or do I pro-actively replace them both at the same time? I wouldn't mind having a larger pressure tank but also not sure if I have the space or money for it.

Last question- I'm not impressed with our water pressure even when new filters are installed. Feel free to insert commentary and experience here.

RE: catchment pump etc recommendations? - kimo wires - 03-13-2018

Turn the pressure switch clockwise and pressure will increase.
Pumps make a lot of noise. might be the mounts. Check to see if tight.

RE: catchment pump etc recommendations? - macuu222 - 03-13-2018

Walmart sells a nice pump with all the accessories. Our pump just failed also. We have a 2 story home and just bought and installed the 3/4 horse pump they sell for $289.00. Comes with a pressure gauge already attached to the pump and the pressure switch is preset to 30/50. It's a bit smaller than our previous pump but still very powerful and gives us good pressure for showers. Just flick the switch to change voltage from 220v to 110V. And better yet...the connections were the same as our last pump so connecting it was easy. I find that bigger pressure tanks are not worth it. We use a 30 gallon tank and gives us about 5 minutes of additional pressure which is all we really need.

RE: catchment pump etc recommendations? - My 2 cents - 03-13-2018

quote:
Originally posted by kimo wires

Turn the pressure switch clockwise and pressure will increase.
Pumps make a lot of noise. might be the mounts. Check to see if tight.

Also be sure to mount it to concrete and not just a wood floor.

If you turn the pressure up too high it will collapse the filters. I don't know what the magic number is. I couldn't find it in the filter manufacturers' specs.

RE: catchment pump etc recommendations? - VancouverIslander - 03-13-2018

When we bought our place it came with a flo-tec. Since the place was built in 2006, we bought it in 2012, and it lasted until 2015, so I don't think it did too badly. It was left under the eaves for the first half of it's life without much protection from the weather. 9 years for a cheap and abused pump. Replaced it with another Home Depot brand, can't recall if it was also flo-tec, Wayne or Everbilt. A decent sized pressure tank keeps the pump from wearing out prematurely with on/off cycling.

If you pay someone else to do the work, replace the tank at the same time. If you do it yourself, you can decide how you want to do it. Often what happens to pumps is the pressure tank fails first, then the pump fails from the extra on/off cycling that results. Me? I'd replace both at the same time.

Me ka ha`aha`a,
Mike

RE: catchment pump etc recommendations? - randomq - 03-13-2018

My 12v flojet has survived 3 years so far without a pressure tank. I'll likely replace it with something a little bigger and a nice tank, but if you only need one or two simultaneous users it's fine. My floors are 3' from the ground though, so I'm not pumping very high.

I think even after I get a new pump, I will keep the flojet around as a backup. Nice to know you can have a shower in a pinch, even if you have to run it off of your car battery.

RE: catchment pump etc recommendations? - birdmove - 03-13-2018

I thought the Grundfas had a very small built in pressure tank. The one at my daughter's does. We have a Stayright, and it's an old metal pump. I think it's the original from when the house was built in 1996. The Grundfas is plastic, as are the newer designed Stayright's. I"ll take a metal pump any day, and the catchment place here in hPP still sells them.

Jon in Keaau/HPP

RE: catchment pump etc recommendations? - Peter Epperson - 03-14-2018

I'm in the catchment business and always have an eye out for good pumps. I found these a couple of years ago https://www.amazon.com/Red-Lion-RJS-100-PREM-602208-Premium/dp/B00XX7C9EC/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen-bath&ie=UTF8&qid=1521044517&sr=1-1&keywords=red+lion+water+pump I am cautious about stuff from China but I have been using their 3/4 hp pump for almost two years now. It is excellent and quiet. Seems heavy duty and a good price. Free shipping too.
If you have a FloJet pump from Home Depot then you should also have a backup on hand. It's just a matter of time, probably a short time, before it breaks.

RE: catchment pump etc recommendations? - Mangosteen - 03-14-2018

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Epperson

I'm in the catchment business and always have an eye out for good pumps. I found these a couple of years ago https://www.amazon.com/Red-Lion-RJS-100-PREM-602208-Premium/dp/B00XX7C9EC/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen-bath&ie=UTF8&qid=1521044517&sr=1-1&keywords=red+lion+water+pump I am cautious about stuff from China but I have been using their 3/4 hp pump for almost two years now. It is excellent and quiet. Seems heavy duty and a good price. Free shipping too.
If you have a FloJet pump from Home Depot then you should also have a backup on hand. It's just a matter of time, probably a short time, before it breaks.

Will this pump give me higher water pressure inside my home?

RE: catchment pump etc recommendations? - leilanidude - 03-14-2018

Will this pump give me higher water pressure inside my home?
-----------
Have you adjusted the pressure switch?