Punaweb Forum
What to take to folks on Oahu? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: What to take to folks on Oahu? (/showthread.php?tid=1941)

Pages: 1 2

What to take to folks on Oahu? - Rumi in Hawaii - 03-07-2008

I can't remember the Hawaiian word for bringing a gift from your home island to folks on another island...?

We're going to visit folks on Oahu, and I'm wanting to take a gift from the Big Island to them..... any suggestions? I thought of Volcano Wine, but wondered if folks had any other suggestions of a very appropriate gift from our island...?

Katie

Wherever you go, there you are.

RE: What to take to folks on Oahu? - kani-lehua - 03-07-2008

rainbow bread, jellies or jams made on the big island, mochi or manju, big island candies (we can get it here, but i don't think the entire line), sauces or bath products.

do you mean pu'olo (bundle,bag, container, parcel or packet)? or do you mean omiyage (japanese)?

malia paha o lohe aku

perhaps they will hear

RE: What to take to folks on Oahu? - Carey - 03-07-2008

Most of our friends on Oahu love fresh fruits & produce, esp. if you have some growing on your property, or a friends (most produce costs more on Oahu, and fewer people have fruit trees) also if you can get some farm fresh mac nuts, one of the island specialty coffees, lehua honey, one of our friends is always looking for white pineapple (not really in season, but some may be getting ready & in the market), fresh young ginger, purple sweet potatos....
Also our islands lovely flowers are usually appreciated.
So many things that are grown on this island that you can share...

RE: What to take to folks on Oahu? - John S. Rabi - 03-07-2008

Anything they can't get there. I would go with food items. Forget the "brand" Kona coffees, but Sharky's Coffee, Kau Coffee or Kona Marie's Coffee should be a surprise. (Kona Marie has her own macnut too.) Puna Goat Cheese, White Honey, Auntie's Hot Sauce, Edelweiss salad dressing, or even a box of malasadas from Tex's Drive In.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi ABR,CM,CRB,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"

RE: What to take to folks on Oahu? - Guest - 03-07-2008

I'm on Oahu... what are you bringing me? [Big Grin] j/k

Smoked Meat, Sausage, Poi, FLOWERS, and much needed Big Island "Aloha"

Remember.... Oahu is a whole different venture.

Represent [Wink]

-------
Today in History
The Great Mahele (land division) was signed into law, 1848

RE: What to take to folks on Oahu? - jdirgo - 03-08-2008

Mochi from Two Ladies Kitchen in Hilo (roughly across from Ben Franklin). When I worked in the corporate world here, we'd have people from O'ahu over for meetings, etc. Meetings would have to end early so that they could get to Two Ladies Kitchen before it closed to fill the orders from their families. Apparently, Two Ladies Kitchen is the best mochi anywhere in the state and is famous even on O'ahu.

John Dirgo, R, ABR, e-PRO
Aloha Coast Realty, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
http://www.alohacoastrealty.com

RE: What to take to folks on Oahu? - frankiestapleton - 03-08-2008

Omiyagi (sp???) is the Japanese term people here use when they're getting local gifts to take a presents to hosts you're visiting on other islands, the mainland U.S. or Japan.

John has it correct with Two Ladies Kitchen...the strawberry mochi being the most famous of their products. But you need to think about them spoiling, if you're taking a longer trip. The other local item in demand from my friends and family from HNL to Europe is the chocolate dipped shortbread cookies from Big Island Candies. And BIC mint brownies are truly to die for!

RE: What to take to folks on Oahu? - kani-lehua - 03-08-2008

i had forgotten about the fresh produce. there are lots of mango and citrus trees here so don't bring those. an acquaintance once gave us the most delicious avocados. we have papaya from kapoho. and, i had forgotten about that honey from the big island. we do appreciate your beautiful flowers, too. and, the two ladies manju/mochi was just featured on 3/3. manolo morales, the lucky guy, got to sample all the tasty morsels. we can get volcano wine here. also, you guys have the rarest chocolate in the world produced on the big island.

malia paha o lohe aku

perhaps they will hear

RE: What to take to folks on Oahu? - Guest - 03-08-2008

quote:
Originally posted by kani-lehua
and, the two ladies manju/mochi was just featured on 3/3. manolo morales, the lucky guy, got to sample all the tasty morsels....

Here is the KHON report with Manolo. Video included.

-------
Today in History
Wasp-like parasites are introduced to Hawai'i in an effort to fight the mango fruit fly discovered in the islands the previous year, 1947.

RE: What to take to folks on Oahu? - Hotzcatz - 03-08-2008

Flowers are good, either from the market or from your yard. My oahu friends like orchids, the dark chocolates from the candy factory in Hilo, fresh eggs from our chickens, koa things from our local woodworkers, the sausages our neighbors make, etc.....