Punaweb Forum
Helicopters everywhere this morning - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Helicopters everywhere this morning (/showthread.php?tid=19534)

Pages: 1 2

Helicopters everywhere this morning - macuu222 - 05-12-2018

Anyone know why? I thought the airspace around Pahoa and up towards the volcano was restricted? I must have counted 20 so far. Are they letting tour helicopters into the area again?

RE: Helicopters everywhere this morning - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 05-12-2018

I've noticed it too.
This is just a guess, but with the restricted airspace around Halemaumau due to a potential explosive event (is it a 12 mile restriction?) perhaps the helicopters are skirting the perimeter of that zone, bringing them closer to residential areas?

Portion of Hawaii’s drinking water that comes from underground wells : 9/10
Gallons of raw sewage that leak into the ground from Hawaii cesspools each day : 53,000,000 - Harper's Index

RE: Helicopters everywhere this morning - Chunkster - 05-12-2018

We heard what my former Army helicopter mechanic friend thought was a Chinook this morning, but we did not observe it. (We are in central HPP, but the sound came from the shore direction.) One of the official news releases said the Army up at Pohakuloa had volunteered some Chinooks for use if needed. Very speculative, but could we have heard a test run? It was quite different from the usual tourist copter sounds, and our dogs even reacted, something they never do with the usual noise.

Chunkster,
In the last 5 minutes I saw 3 helicopters & 1 small plane. One or two nights ago I watched 2 Blackhawks fly close together at sunset, retuning to Hilo.

If I hear any big chopper blades, I'll go outside to identify.

Here comes another one...

Gallons of raw sewage that leak into the ground from Hawaii cesspools each day : 53,000,000 - Harper's Index

5 tourist helis in less than two minutes, all headed toward Kapoho

RE: Helicopters everywhere this morning - MarkD - 05-12-2018

This means there's one group cheering (in just one sense: business profits) the eruption: helicopter tour owners $$$$

one group cheering

Could be another group cheering soon enough if things get real, fast - - any people left on the ground if the roads close. Helicopters, including tour helicopters, and Shane's Lava Tour boat could potentially be one of the last ways out if roadways are breached with lava flows.

At the moment, I'm glad to know they're in our area. They can fly as low as they want, and make as much noise as necessary, if in the future they're willing to help with any emergency operations.

I consider the tours today, practice runs.

RE: Helicopters everywhere this morning - DTisme - 05-12-2018

USA Today (surprisingly good coverage) says they're going to do test runs with Blackhawk helicopters for emergency rescues. They'll be able to haul 226 people per run then come back for more. So I suspect that's what we're seeing. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/05/12/hawaii-braces-major-volcano-eruption-prepares-possible-evacuation-2-000/604629002/

DTisme,
I think the 226 per run is for ground vehicle convoys.
Right now there are 4 Blackhawks at Hilo Airport, and each have a max capacity of 14 people.

RE: Helicopters everywhere this morning - Guest - 05-12-2018

Ramps closed gonna hinder that. Swim out still no worries, as long as your CC runs, you get on the cat...JMOz