Punaweb Forum
Grindz - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Grindz (/showthread.php?tid=19694)

Pages: 1 2

Grindz - benthudd - 05-29-2018

My family and I will be on the east side of the BI in a couple weeks for a visit and would love your recommendations for some good (and reasonably priced) restaurants. Most of the topics about food that I could fine are a few years old and I want to make sure we have your up-to-date advice. We love all kinds of food.

We are looking forward to the visit, which was a year in the making, but we are respectful of the loss many folks in Puna are experiencing.

Thanks for your help!

RE: Grindz - macuu222 - 05-29-2018

Cafe Pesto in downtown Hilo. Consistently excellent food at a reasonable price.

RE: Grindz - dan d - 05-29-2018

Cafe patisserie bayfront best french press cofee and homemade croissant. Lucys mex food,pinapples downtown most people love good fizh and chip place malama mkt pahoa,
Lotsa good sushi places, suisan at harbor best poke and fresh fish prices also a takeout arr corner.youghrtland by sears,fresh pastery kta,ok food kaleos pAhoa.
Hope that helps. Pahoa town is open has new big longs now.

Dan D
HPP

RE: Grindz - birdmove - 05-29-2018

Hilo Bay Cafe has good food and an incredible view. I agree with Lucy's for Mexican food. They are closed, on I believe, Tuesdays. Best fish and chips and great fish wraps at Pahoa Fish. They are very near the Subway Sandwiches in Pahoa. Kaleos in Pahoa too.

Jon in Keaau/HPP

RE: Grindz - smart.monkeee - 05-29-2018

Hawaiian Style Cafe on Manono St. is excellent food but there is a wait,but so worth it. Lucy's is great for low key dining. Ocean Sushi for sushi is awesome and affordable. Fun for the kids: Genki Sushi.

RE: Grindz - randomq - 05-29-2018

Lucy's Tacqueria
Sombat's Thai
Hawaiian Style Cafe (good place to try local stuff)
Pahoa Fresh Fish (Fried Mahi Mahi, Ono, Cod, Salmon, Crab cakes)
Maku'u Market on Sunday (Papaya salad, Nachos, Crepes, Filipino, ice cream truck)
Uncle Robert's on Wednesday (if can. taco stand outside, brick oven pizza, where are they now?)
Pizza Hawaii's Pizza Bakes
Hilo town tavern (wings, fries, beer)
Tex's Malasadas
That ice cream place in Honokaa
Baskin Robbins on the 31st Smile

Of course you have to try poke, most grocery stores will serve it, or go straight to Suisan. 1/3 lb or 1/2 lb + a scoop of rice is usually a better deal than their "bowls". Also try lomi lomi (like salmon pico de gallo) with tortilla chips or on cottage cheese. And cucumber kimchee.

ETA: Kamana Kitchen (Indian) only went once but the royal platter was a good deal for two people to share.

RE: Grindz - glassnumbers - 05-29-2018

How do Tex's Malasadas stack up to Punalu'u Bakery in Ka'u? I've never been to Tex's so I'm curious, and I love malasadas

Aloha Smile

RE: Grindz - randomq - 05-29-2018

I liked Punalu'u, until I tried Tex's...

RE: Grindz - terracore - 05-29-2018

Some good suggestions up there. I would add to the list Ponds in Hilo, and the Kilauea Lodge in Volcano. Both of them are more expensive than some of the other places listed, but also cheaper than some of them as well.

Hilo Burger Joint. Best burgers in town. Decent price on Wagyu burgers (bootleg Kobe beef). Mouth watering thinking about it. I think they have a full bar too.

Lava Rock cafe in Volcano has good burgers, I don' think I've had anything else on their menu but its good pub grub.

RE: Grindz - jrw - 05-29-2018

I thought they were asking about reasonably price food the foods good but can say Hilo Bay café Café Pesto are reasonably price? they are good but pretty high prices

jrw