Punaweb Forum
Abandoned vehicle disposal ? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Abandoned vehicle disposal ? (/showthread.php?tid=21460)

Pages: 1 2

Abandoned vehicle disposal ? - Genxor - 01-16-2020

We just purchased a property and the previous owner / renter / whomever left a vehicle that appears to have been parked there for years. There are no keys , title or registration. We need to dispose of the vehicle , but the junk removal people require the steering wheel to be unlocked. Does anyone have any experience in dealing with such ?

RE: Abandoned vehicle disposal ? - kalakoa - 01-16-2020

Move the vehicle out into a public right-of-way, then report it to HPD.

RE: Abandoned vehicle disposal ? - leilanidude - 01-16-2020

the junk removal people require the steering wheel to be unlocked
------
Yank very, very hard on the steering wheel. You can break the lock.

You can also check with the DMV - give them the VIN and see if it was a stolen vehicle.

RE: Abandoned vehicle disposal ? - terracore - 01-16-2020

Use a hammer to pound a flathead screwdriver into the key hole, then use vise grips or channel locks on the screwdriver (for leverage) to turn it. Surprised the junk haulers don't offer this "service".

RE: Abandoned vehicle disposal ? - Seeb - 01-16-2020

The county charges a disposal fee as part of car registration but they will only tow them if their on a county road.

RE: Abandoned vehicle disposal ? - kalakoa - 01-16-2020

they will only tow them if their on a county road

"Taxation without representation", especially given that cars are typically abandoned up in the "private" subdivisions.

RE: Abandoned vehicle disposal ? - Genxor - 01-18-2020

So far I've attempted to give the vehicle away through social media. A couple of people have attempted to "break" the steering so they can tow the vehicle , both have failed. They have literally demolished the steering column. Hawaii PD verified the vehicle was not stolen. My research found the vehicles owner currently has a bench warrant for previous traffic infractions / no appearance. If I am reading HRS, Ch. 290-11 correctly , I the property owner can have the vehicle towed ( at my expense ) to a tow yard ? The vehicles owner is then responsible for the storage fees etc.

RE: Abandoned vehicle disposal ? - terracore - 01-20-2020

Is this an Audi with the $60k security package? Otherwise I'm not sure why the steering wheel lock can't be disabled. Just because others mutilated the steering column without disabling the lock don't assume the simplest solution isn't also the easiest. Once the lock is broken you can tow it off your property. Tow straps are cheap and have many uses.

If it is an Audi with the security package let me know, the bullet-proof glass might have good resale value.

RE: Abandoned vehicle disposal ? - Genxor - 01-20-2020

Thank you for the moronic reply. You must have a great deal of time on your hands tp create such a non-helpful response. Sitting behind your computer screen with all of the answers. "Listen to me I have an inferiority complex" troll.

RE: Abandoned vehicle disposal ? - kalakoa - 01-20-2020

Thank you for the moronic reply.

Please focus your anger where it belongs: County collects an "abandoned vehicle fee" with every registration, then simply refuses to actually dispose of any vehicles because they're somehow "not in the County" when reported.