Punaweb Forum
Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) (/showthread.php?tid=21469)

Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - kander - 01-21-2020

From the CDC it appears that the highly contagious Wuhan Coronavirus has made its way to the mainland in Seattle. Being its a contact virus we can assume that its also spread to other people from the airport.
Many flights come out of Seattle to Hawaii, It might be a good time to keep that in mind and stay out of public spaces as much as possible until this thing burns out.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/21/health/cdc-coronavirus.html?partner=bloomberg

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - kalakoa - 01-21-2020

Skip straight to "We have no idea how it got here."

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - kalianna - 01-21-2020

Interesting that Honolulu is not among the airports where screening is taking place. That must be because we have so few visitors from China.

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 01-21-2020

Honolulu is not among the airports where screening is taking place. That must be because we have so few visitors from China.

How does that compare with how fire ants were introduced to the islands? Or coqui? Dengue? And that’s just for a start. But, just to be safe, take off your shoes when you go through security. We have time for that when the last terrorist shoe threat was over 19 years ago.

“Cassandra in Greek legend, you recall, was condemned to know the future but to be disbelieved when she foretold it. Hence the agony of foreknowledge combined with the impotence to do anything about it.” - Dr. Kathryn Railly, in the movie 12 Monkeys

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - Punatic007 - 01-22-2020

From reading the reports I'm still not sure how Wuhan differs from the really bad cold going around here in Puna?

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - kalakoa - 01-22-2020

how Wuhan differs from the really bad cold going around here

Wuhan is a foreign virus with a scary name. Someone is failing to properly brand and market our local version. Perhaps Ruderman should ask the Legislature for funding?

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - Guest - 01-22-2020

quote:
Originally posted by Punatic007

From reading the reports I'm still not sure how Wuhan differs from the really bad cold going around here in Puna?
I agree, well the part of me that wishes, hopes, and maybe even expects that the Wuhan virus will run its course and peter out..

But then there are those 17 souls that have already passed because if it.. or so says the reports.. which make me wonder the wisdom of such a cavalier approach..

Yes, Zika and Dengue and all those scares.. but then maybe Dengue would have been a bitch had county/state not taken a proactive stance..

I think I'll wait a bit before writing off Wuhan with a passing 'oh it's just a cold' approach..

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - kander - 01-22-2020

yup, the mortality rate is much higher. This is why I posted this. Its a little more concerning than a sniffle. First you get a cold, then your in the hospital. As it spreads the health care system could be overwhelmed and then the death rates will skyrocket. IMHO, in a post antibiotic era we live in today, Hawaii needs to be a bit more proactive in protecting its citizens from deadly diseases.

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - kalakoa - 01-22-2020

maybe Dengue would have been a bitch had county/state not taken a proactive stance

A "public awareness campaign" about how people should "avoid being bitten by mosquitos"? That proactive stance?

RE: Wuhan Corona Virus Coming Soon? (Now Here) - randomq - 01-22-2020

Starting to collect tires *after* cases were reported. For the Big Island that's proactive. Smile