Punaweb Forum
Sweatin' in So. Cal - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Sweatin' in So. Cal (/showthread.php?tid=2185)

Sweatin' in So. Cal - pslamont - 05-19-2008

Well, just to let you all know, I am in San Diego, Southern California. It's a land where air conditioning is a must these days. Never seen a day under 80 and most are closer to 90.

My friend and I are doing demo on a condo and the makeover in two weeks. (Feels like one of those TV shows without the cute "go to" guy).

We shopped till we dropped, then did demolition of all kitchen cabinets and appliances, then the bathroom and the linoleum floors (ewwww). Hired a guy to haul all the junk away and have turned him into a California Cabana Boy. He not only has a 4 ton truck and a willing spirit, he does plumbing, sets cabinets, lays floors.... and wants to WORK! So, needless to say, the San Diego portion of this year's work for the Lamont family is moving along.

Now if we can just get the Lamont Ranch cabin demo'd as soon as possible when I get back, we have some interesting offers for help.

One ranger from Volcanoes Park has offered to drop a dozen Cedar Trees or so for me "because it is fun to do". Those will be the poles for our polebarn/house. The fellow I bought the trusses from is a semi-retired contractor who broke his neck but he will help with the lighter work and will supervise the job for us. Bull winkle says when he returns in July he will jump in with both feet. Then there is the unending generosity of Jim & Carey.. wow. Dan Wentworth has also offered a few days of help. He is the bomb for drafting and design. All in all, it will be a cool project.

The plan is to have a demoltion week after June 6th sometime but before June 21st. If anyone is available for a wild project contact me via email pslamont@yahoo.com Since the cabin is built by at least 50% or more freecycle/recycle/craigslist stuff, we will be savlaging whatever we can from the old for the new rebuild.

Anyway, just keeping you posted. Imagine me with drywall mud all over my butt walking around town. My friend Shaaron hasn't even thrown me out of the Mercedes for being too dirty and yucky. What a woman! Her foster children (7 girls) are enjoying my spree of fresh bread baking as is her 94 year olf step-dad who lives with her and the brood. We are making great progress on updating Bob's mom's old place and getting it ready for market. Keep your fingers crossed! (A sold condo is a finished house in Thailand!).

Aloha, Pam

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!

RE: Sweatin' in So. Cal - Kelena - 05-19-2008

Hey Pam,

It's always bizarrely cool where I live in Oceanside I live above a valley that gives out onto the ocean, and the wind just gets sucked through the valley so we get a strange kind of wind chill. I think the call it a Venturi effect. Great for kites.

Anyway, welcome to my neck of the woods. No woods, really. Just a neck....and some chapparel.

Glen

RE: Sweatin' in So. Cal - mgeary - 05-20-2008

It's been running near-record highs here in Bakersfield. Which is saying something, because summer in Bake-o-ville is freekin' hot. 99-103 degrees. If I don't get it done by noon, chances are I won't do anything outside until 6 or 7 p.m.

Pamela and I are totally looking forward to the end of June, when we visit y'all over in Punaland. It'll be warm, I know, but the trades take the sting out of it. Ahhhhh.

Aloha! ;-)