Punaweb Forum
Driving to Mauna Kea's summit region - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Driving to Mauna Kea's summit region (/showthread.php?tid=21884)

Driving to Mauna Kea's summit region - TomK - 08-13-2020

I'm not sure people are aware of this yet, I only found out today.

As far as I know, Harper's was the only car rental place on the island that allowed you to drive their 4WD vehicles to the summit area of Mauna Kea. Harper's has been taken over by Sunbelt and they sold off all their 4WD drive vehicles last week (apart from a few that are currently in use). It is still possible to rent 4WD vehicles elsewhere, but it seems none of the companies that do that will let you drive their vehicles above the VIS, at least legally.

I guess it's not a big deal right now, but thought I'd let everyone know. On the other hand, if anyone is aware of a rental company that will let you drive their vehicles to the summit,please let us know. Thanks!

RE: Driving to Mauna Kea's summit region - dobanion - 08-13-2020

It's one of those don't ask, don't tell things. The position of the rental companies is they will really tear you a new one, financially speaking, if you break down in any form (flat tires included) "off the pavement." But, really, the road up to the summit is mild. Especially compared to say, the path out to Green Sands, "Road to the Sea" in Ocean View, or the worst I can recall, Ka'Alu'Alu Road down to the bay.

I'll admit to being a passenger in a Jeep Liberty rental that went up to the summit. No big deal. It was gutless at that altitude.

When we went 2/3 down to Pohue Bay in a Nissan truck 4x4, we basically stopped when we didn't have the approach angle for the big rocks. In retrospect, we were pushing our luck on that one.

RE: Driving to Mauna Kea's summit region - HI_Someday - 08-13-2020

I'd be concered about the unofficial Don't Ask policy if something major happened above the VIS. If it's in the contract that you don't go there, but you do and crash the car, I'd bet they would not look the other way but would have you on the hook for repairs.

Many many years ago we went to Maui and drove the road to Hana. You're supposed to turn around and go back on the paved road. The car rental agency said no-go on the dirt road that continued on around the island and up the other side. We went anyway and had no issues, but damaging the car was on my mind the whole way.

RE: Driving to Mauna Kea's summit region - dobanion - 08-13-2020

You got it. If you breakdown you'll need to pay a local to tow you, and they will be very aware of the predicament you are in, and will charge accordingly. The rental company likewise will keep you on the hook for any damages.

That said, I lost count of how many people in rented Wranglers were driving to Green Sands last time I was there. Free for all. The smart ones waited for a local to go through and followed. It's not a road, more like a maze of dirt ditches.