Punaweb Forum
Naung Mai Thai Kitchen - Ripoff - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Naung Mai Thai Kitchen - Ripoff (/showthread.php?tid=22225)

Naung Mai Thai Kitchen - Ripoff - randomq - 03-22-2021

Had the displeasure of takeout from Naung Mai, towards the end of Kilauea in Hilo.

The Pad Thai was the worst I've had on the island so far, and that includes my own attempts at making it.  The noodles were a step below top ramen, very few vegetables, no detectable lime, tamarind, or peanut flavor, and an extremely small amount of meat for the $12 price.  My SO and I agreed it just didn't taste good, or like Pad Thai.  As an added bonus, for $9 you get 4 of the smallest spring rolls you have ever seen (maybe 2.5") rolled so tight there is practically nothing in them, and overcooked.

We were at least happy we tried a new place.  I think Sombat's is the best I've had, followed by the Thai Truck at Makuu Market and Spoonful Cafe, but would like to hear about other's experiences and suggestions.

RE: Naung Mai Thai Kitchen - Ripoff - kalianna - 03-22-2021

Chiang Mai in Hilo. You want vegetables? They've got VEGETABLES. Best around IMHO. And I like Lemongrass in Keaau too, if you're ready to negotiate the parking lot.

RE: Naung Mai Thai Kitchen - Ripoff - terracore - 03-22-2021

I ate there once about a year ago. My experience wasn't as bad as you described, but I definitely would never go back there. Food was bland and overpriced, no parking, washroom was in a shared back alley garage, table was sticky, place was nicely quiet (but because there was nobody else there (aka warning sign)). Service was friendly etc.

I like Sombats, but I haven't been in years since they stopped serving lunch, we rarely (less than once a year) drive to Hilo for dinner. Nings in Pahoa is hit-or-miss both service and quality, and no parking. There is one server who works there who is bat-sh!t crazy and can throw a 2-year old temper tantrum for absolutely no reason. Is seriously disturbing to watch. We were served medium-raw chicken there once. Like barely cooked on the outside and still clucking on the inside. Oddly the server never asked why we didn't eat it when she was clearing table. Maybe she saw the blood and already knew? The place up in Volcano has been great every time we've went. Good food, clean, appropriately priced, but generally too far to be a destination in itself. Ate once at Thep Thai in Pahoa, food was literally inedible, way worse than Naung Mai, like the sauce was dirty dishwater. Maybe the only time I threw $30 of food into the trash because I didn't want to risk our dogs eating it. Definitely in the top #10 of worst restaurant food I can recall eating in the last 50 years. There is (or was) another Thai place in Hilo not far from Naung Mai, I was actually looking for it when I got suckered into trying Naung Mai. I don't remember the name of it but the food, service, and atmosphere was awesome.

The Thai food truck at the Pahoa propane place on the weekend is pretty good but they have limited hours one day a week so it's hard to intersect our Thai cravings with them.