Punaweb Forum
Residents vs. Tourists - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Residents vs. Tourists (/showthread.php?tid=22243)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Residents vs. Tourists - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 04-12-2021

It was nice & quiet this past year, but back to normal may not be what everyone wants:

Kai Nishiki and other frustrated Maui residents got up early Saturday and armed themselves with beach chairs, umbrellas and towels to storm Wailea Beach and push back the increasing ranks of tourists who have been flocking to the island, overtaking popular spots locals got used to having to themselves after COVID-19 virtually shut down the visitor industry.

... are concerned that some visitors "aren't sensitive to our ways and our culture and our willingness to wear masks to protect our neighbors."

"Hostility is rising, " Keen said. "The tourism industry needs hooponopono (to make things right ) with locals, otherwise they're going to be at a place where they are trying to bring in visitors and locals are not going to be nice to them. They aren't going to have the aloha that they normally had."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/frustrated-residents-push-back-hawaii-160900912.html

RE: Residents vs. Tourists - eightfingers2.0 - 04-12-2021

Wailea/Makena is a pretty ritzy area. Most of those “locals” drive bmws.

RE: Residents vs. Tourists - ChunksterK - 04-12-2021

Early in the pandemic we heard a lot of hot air from our feckless politicians and their minions about reshaping the Hawaii economy to be less dependent on the prevailing version of the tourist business. Like always, nothing came of all the talk, despite polls indicating the citizens of the state were willing to endure some hardship to achieve a transition. People in places like Maui and Oahu are really tired of the mass tourism model and want a break. We are fortunate in a way to live in a less touristy part of the state, but we have our moments over here, too. As usual, entrenched interests and easy tax money win out over finding a smarter way. And to be fair, I have to say that nobody, including me, has come up with a really solid idea about how to diversify. I get the feeling, though, that the powers that be didn't really even try.

RE: Residents vs. Tourists - terracore - 04-12-2021

None of the tourists I've seen on the Kona or Hilo side wear masks in public unless they are in a store or somewhere that it's policed. I don't really care, but people look silly with masks on their chins. I can understand why locals who do wear masks are pushing back against tourists who don't seem to care to follow the rules. The tourists are probably thinking, they passed a COVID test to be here they couldn't POSSIBLY be carriers.

RE: Residents vs. Tourists - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 04-12-2021

tourists are probably thinking... they couldn't POSSIBLY be carriers.

Yes, and some of them have passed two COVID tests, one before they left and one on arrival.
So there’s that, and the impression Hawaii escaped the worst of the pandemic with relatively few cases.  Which is true.  So the tourists might dispense with wearing a mask because they also believe we’re not likely carriers.  Also some tourists are vaccinated.

Despite all that, the CDC recommends we continue wearing our masks for now.

RE: Residents vs. Tourists - leilanidude - 04-12-2021

There is a big difference between mask wearing in Pahoa vs. Kona. Even Hilo folks wear them more than Pahoa.
However, it is hilarious to watch people put on a mask just before they walk into a restaurant, then as soon as they sit down, they remove the mask. The mask thing is doing nothing.

RE: Residents vs. Tourists - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 04-12-2021

The mask thing is doing nothing.

Mask wearing is extremely effective inside buildings where people shop or conduct business, when food or drink is not consumed.  Which is most of the time I interact with the general public.

RE: Residents vs. Tourists - MyManao - 04-12-2021

(04-12-2021, 05:34 PM)leilanidude Wrote: The mask thing is doing nothing.

Just to be clear... 

It has been proven, six ways to Sunday, that statement is an outright lie. The fact that Hawaii has been, in general, a strong adherent to mask wearing is why the crisis has been so well contained here.

RE: Residents vs. Tourists - Volcanoite - 04-12-2021

I was visiting Kona in February and was stopped by a local on the street who told my friend and I to take our masks off and breathe the cleanest air on the planet. I tried to tell him that it was out of respect for others that we don our masks when we meet them on the sidewalk, but it didn't seem to matter what my reasoning was.

RE: Residents vs. Tourists - randomq - 04-12-2021

People just seem willfully ignorant. How are you one year into a once-in-100-years pandemic and not be bothered to understand how masks work, how Covid spreads indoors, etc?

(04-12-2021, 08:09 PM)Volcanoite Wrote:  it didn't seem to matter what my reasoning was.

I've noticed lately that crazy people are unable to listen and respond to reason. If you are lucky they just wait for their turn to regurgitate more crazy shit. Mouth open, mind closed.