Punaweb Forum
Covid count - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Covid count (/showthread.php?tid=22358)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Covid count - sistersue - 07-20-2021

I'm wondering if anyone knows how the covid cases are counted.  I know a family that is now going through covid.  Only one of them went to the doctor because he was so sick and he was tested positive. However, the other 5 family members and another family household of 8, who caught it from the first family, have also been very sick - some worse than others. I wonder if they only count the one who went to urgent care and was tested or do they count all 14 of them?  If they don't count all the other people who didn't go to the doctor, then the covid counts don't really mean anything because they would be so inaccurate.  What do you think?

Aloha

RE: Covid count - kalakoa - 07-20-2021

I have no faith in the COVID counts: (1) DOH takes 48-72 hours (or more) to "verify" (massage) the data; (2) counts now include "probable" cases.

Not sure, but I also believe the deaths are "any death with COVID" even where COVID is not the primary cause, eg, when someone dies in car crash and tests positive for COVID, their death is counted towards the total.

Both "probable cases" and "any death including COVID" are a way to inflate the numbers. Ironically, today's news announces that previous tiers of restrictions will not be reinstated. Schools will reopen next month, UH classes will be in-person, and the eviction moratorium will be lifted ("because vaccination").. However, we are keeping the Safe Travels checkpoints, almost as if they're not really about COVID.

RE: Covid count - kalianna - 07-20-2021

I've wondered the same thing, sistersue. They are reopening mass testing in Hilo but only once a week. I wonder how many people get sick on Thurs and by the time the following Wed. rolls around are feeling better and may not bother to get tested.

RE: Covid count - Durian Fiend - 07-21-2021

(07-20-2021, 11:17 PM)kalakoa Wrote: Not sure, but I also believe the deaths are "any death with COVID" even where COVID is not the primary cause, eg, when someone dies in car crash and tests positive for COVID, their death is counted towards the total.
Heck no.   Covid must be primary cause to be counted.  Sure, most who die have underlying conditions but it's da Covid that pushes them over the edge.

RE: Covid count - terracore - 07-21-2021

Interestingly, the CDC counts and tracks all positive COVID tests of the unvaccinated, even when there is no illness.  There is no effort to determine if it is a false positive or not.

However, they only count and track breakthrough infections (covid positive of an individual who is fully vaccinated) if the individual is hospitalized or dies.   

How's that for massaged data?

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html

RE: Covid count - randomq - 07-21-2021

I feel bad for young children who are being put at risk by the unvaccinated at this point. But as far as rising numbers among the willfully unvaccinated? You made your choice.

RE: Covid count - Durian Fiend - 07-21-2021

(07-21-2021, 02:54 AM)terracore Wrote: Interestingly, the CDC counts and tracks all positive COVID tests of the unvaccinated, even when there is no illness.  There is no effort to determine if it is a false positive or not.

However, they only count and track breakthrough infections (covid positive of an individual who is fully vaccinated) if the individual is hospitalized or dies.   

How's that for massaged data?

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/health-departments/breakthrough-cases.html
Per the link provided, "identifying and investigating" from the CDC are the key words.  The local and state tallies that get added to the national numbers on a daily or weekly basis most definitely count all breakthrough cases that are discovered by testing.   Who knows, there may be many more breakthrough cases occurring but they're not getting tested because persons are asymptomatic.   

The NY Yankees and those Texas Democrats are examples of people being subject to testing due to their job requirements.  Without such requirements most if not all of them wouldn't have bothered to test since they exhibited no symptoms.  

RE: Covid count - kalianna - 07-21-2021

We can bicker back and forth about how covid cases are counted but the fact remains that just in this country, millions of people have gotten sick and hundred of thousands have died from the virus. Does it make a difference whether the official death tally is 600,000 or 400,000?

RE: Covid count - Carey - 07-21-2021

PLEASE, if you can - get vaccinated! & right now, with the delta variant spreading here, wear a mask ANY TIME you are around folks you are not intimately sure of their contacts!

Sistersue, most likely this whole family AND their friends would be counted in the probable cases section of the state count IF this family & their family friends actually acknowledge close contact when the Contact Tracers asked them about their contacts.....
We have kept probable case numbers since the beginning of the record keeping, however the Contact Tracers actual probable cases was not included into the state Dashboard until late May....
https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/probable-coronavirus-cases-now-included-in-hawaiis-count/

Terracore, nope your READING of that article puts a false spin on it, as DurianFriend corrected you...(terracore Wrote:
Interestingly, the CDC counts and tracks all positive COVID tests of the unvaccinated, even when there is no illness. There is no effort to determine if it is a false positive or not.) this is not true...

AND once again, Kalakoa is rehashing already debunked news with that olʻ accident count FN! ""Kalakoa wrote yesterday 11:17pm: "Not sure, but I also believe the deaths are any death with COVID" even where COVID is not the primary cause, eg, when someone dies in car crash and tests positive for COVID, their death is counted towards the total." Also NOT TRUE!!!
Here is the response to that olʻ tale, from a Johns Hopkins study:
https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/verify/covid-deaths-car-crash-comorbidities-coronavirus-death-total-counts-john-hopkins-study/65-e3842ed2-f753-4a15-8b97-c2ae75c2b2ce

(07-20-2021, 11:48 PM)kalianna Wrote: "They are reopening mass testing in Hilo but only once a week.  I wonder how many people get sick on Thurs and by the time the following Wed. rolls around are feeling better and may not bother to get tested.
They have ADDED the mass testing on Wed. due to the increased demand for testing because of the increased contacts with potential infection.....ANYONE can still go to the testing sites that have been around, even when we had far fewer cases, which include some Longs, VA & hospital locations AND the Pahoa Pharmacy (Folks should give them a huge shout-out for being front line on all of this)

RE: Covid count - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 07-22-2021

kalianna said,
We can bicker back and forth about how covid cases are counted but the fact remains that just in this country, millions of people have gotten sick and hundred of thousands have died from the virus.

Precisely.
Arguing about COVID statistics is a distraction from the real issue.  People get seriously ill, people die.  As Carey said, get vaccinated.  It works.. 

“One of the last things they do before they’re intubated is beg me for the vaccine. I hold their hand and tell them that I’m sorry, but it’s too late,” Dr. Cobia, who works at Grandview Medical Center in Birmingham, wrote in a Facebook post on Sunday.