Punaweb Forum
travel talk - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: travel talk (/showthread.php?tid=22363)

Pages: 1 2

travel talk - kalianna - 07-27-2021

In May, with covid cases falling, my husband flew back from the mainland and was held up in Kona for an hour getting his paperwork straightened out.  Last month, with about two new cases a day, a friend flew into Kona and was held up for 45 min. after not getting tested by a "trusted partner".  Today, another friend flew into Hilo from the mainland after stopping to change planes in Kahului.  We had stressed the importance of uploading her vaccine certificate but guess what... even with covid cases drastically rising, nobody asked her for anything either on the Maui stop or deplaning in Hilo.  I'm curious about others' experience.

RE: travel talk - Justin - 07-28-2021

When I flew from LAX-ITO in May, I got a test from a Trusted Partner (the United website was good about indicating who was Trusted), got a little bracelet thing in LAX, and that was it (nothing in Hilo). My wife had the same experience in June. My guess is that now, for people who are vaccinated, it is even easier, as no test is required - all you have to do is upload an image of your vaccination card.

RE: travel talk - kalakoa - 07-28-2021

You still have to register with the State and fill out a form to upload your documents and get a QR code that tells them to look at your original documents.

I can think of better uses for the $100,000/day it costs to run Safe Travels.

RE: travel talk - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 07-28-2021

I can think of better uses for the $100,000/day it costs to run Safe Travels.

But will it employ as many government workers?
Hawaii State Motto: Government of the government, by the government, for the government.

I spoke with someone this morning who said many passengers on their flight to the mainland are canceling their reservations.  Not sure if it’s COVID related, but they’re worried the airline may cancel the flight.

RE: travel talk - kalianna - 07-28-2021

(07-28-2021, 03:43 AM)kalakoa Wrote: You still have to register with the State and fill out a form to upload your documents and get a QR code that tells them to look at your original documents.
But that didn't happen.  No one looked at her QR code or required any information about her covid status, either departing or arriving.  She was flying Hawaiian Air.

RE: travel talk - randomq - 07-28-2021

Yeah, in May I had to upload a test w/in 72 hours of last leg to Hawaii even though I'm vaccinated. Still had to wait in a short line in Hilo on arrival to get my code scanned. A vaccinated guest we had recently did not need a test, but did fill out the site w/ vaccine status, get the wristband before boarding, etc, but didn't have to do anything after arriving in Kona.

RE: travel talk - Justin - 07-28-2021

Yes, my understanding is that they are doing everything on the departing end now, not the arriving end. That saves people who screwed up from getting on a plane only to be sent back. Everyone is "cleared" before they board the plane.

RE: travel talk - SSGSurf - 07-29-2021

Flew back into HNL from the mainland on July 2. They are attempting to clear passengers from the departure location, but this is not 100%. I was not cleared on the outbound because I refuse to upload any documents to the SafeTravels site. They didn't know how to handle it there.

When I arrived in HNL there were two lines, pre-cleared, and those not cleared. I pre-filled out the Safe Travels and I showed them in person what they required and went through. I did the same interisland before they stopped the requirement.

I will be flying out of Hawaii again Friday for a week. I will see if anything is different on the return.

RE: travel talk - Gus - 07-29-2021

2 weeks ago my daughter and 2 young grandchildren flew to Kona from Canada with a 3 day stop in LA. She got a test in Edmonton to get into the US and then another one in LA for here. She got through the line in 20 minutes or so, showed her QR code and off we went. In the parking lot her phone rings. Hi, this is Safetravels. My supervisor told me I made a huge mistake by letting you in. I’m not supposed to take your vaccine, because it’s from Canada (Apparently Canadian Pfizer becomes less effective when it passes by Ige). My daughter says you didn’t take my vaccine. I didn’t even mention it. I showed you my QR code from my negative Trusted Partner test. 10 seconds of silence follows. Then he says Whoops, I called the wrong person. I’m really in trouble now! And he hangs up. Confidence in the Safe Travels program? Right.

RE: travel talk - Deckman - 07-29-2021

My wife and I went off island for the month of June and flew back home July 7th on the LAX to Kona flight. We uploaded our Vaccine docs and did the 24hr health info to received a quarantine exemption from Safe Travels program. Everything was smooth except the line at Kona was 1.5 hours. The poor neighbors picking us up waited but none of us were happy in the processing system. They had only 4 checkers handling over 300 travelers and could of had a separate line for returning residents.