Punaweb Forum
Albezia and Other Weed Trees - Dealing with them? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Albezia and Other Weed Trees - Dealing with them? (/showthread.php?tid=22474)

Pages: 1 2

Albezia and Other Weed Trees - Dealing with them? - 1voyager1 - 11-01-2021

Albezia and Other Weed Trees - Dealing with them?

The lot across from us is vacant and has had some trees killed.
They appear to have been poisoned.
I assume by one of the neighbors.
None of the standing dead trees are close enough to the street to threaten the power lines with falling dead branches.
Those close enough have not been dealt with.

There are also a bunch in another neighbors property lining the border of our property.
They seem to be relatively free of doing damage to any infrastructure.

Our property is being seeded with Albezias from both sides.
It is beginning to get to be a seriously bad problem with Albezia seedlings sprouting up all over.
I'm going to have to go through all of our property, improved and unimproved jungle areas to eradicate our Albezia invasion. 
At one time, all one needed to do was to make a complaint to the property owner, wait a short time to allow action to bee taken.
Then, one could go onto the property and kill the trees themselves.

What are the present rules for dealing with neighboring weed trees?

I am concerned with the potential for liability if any damage to power lines or other is done by the trees falling after one kills them.

HELCO sent Ass-plund through recently.
They only cleared enough to not interfere with line maintenance, so I've been told  they said.
That's been awhile.
They're going to have to be back again fairly soon to clear the lines again.
Not very likely they'll  do anything to alleviate our problem.

RE: Albezia and Other Weed Trees - Dealing with them? - kalakoa - 11-01-2021

HB1713 (2011) authorizes the State to mitigate albizia which pose a hazard to other properties; it requires that the Governor apply for a warrant to enter the premises, and allows that the Governor may seek recovery and reimbursement for costs incurred. Notice to the property owner must be given via registered mail with return receipt.
Right now the Governor is too busy playing Emperor with his emergency declarations, so don't expect much help there.

Because there aren't really any "rules" in Puna, I've been using a cordless drill and an eyedropper full of undiluted Milestone. So far none of the absentee-owned vacant lots have noticed, but I figure if they did complain, it wouldn't be a stretch to seek forgiveness -- an albizia-covered lot isn't worth much.

RE: Albezia and Other Weed Trees - Dealing with them? - 1voyager1 - 11-01-2021

I'm thinking of getting a hold of the neighbors to speak with them about it, then try getting a written OK to enter the property to do it myself.
I expect it to be an easy simple fix with no problems for them to deal with.
If for some odd reason  they refuse, then I'll look into potentially making repercussions for them to deal with.
I have given thought to just sliding on and doing it.
That would work on the vacant lot.
But, that does leave the potential for liability for any damage the poisoned trees may do.
I have poisoned a few trees in locations with no danger of their doing any damage.

Using a small hatchet, cut through the bark and sapwood in several places around low on the tree.
Then spray the cuts with an herbicide.
Works very good and easy.

RE: Albezia and Other Weed Trees - Dealing with them? - AaronM - 11-01-2021

I had large Albizia trees on either side of my home. One side was owned by people in California who ignored multiple letters regarding their Albizia farm.

Finally I went over and donated some logging work and cut down about 30 trees of various sizes.

Years later when it was time for some more sawdust, I wrote them an offer letter to purchase their property and included my phone number. They called and we were working on a price when Kilauea ended the negotiations.

On the other side of my property, there was a homeowner with a gigantic Albizia (old growth?). I spoke with them about cutting their tree and they weren't interested.

During Iselle, that tree was toppled and landed on my roof, causing roughly $35K worth of damage. Luckily, the neighbors home insurance covered the damage.

TL;DR
Albizia Trees are hazardous and should be removed at all costs. Machete the little ones and chainsaw the big ones.

RE: Albezia and Other Weed Trees - Dealing with them? - Obie - 11-01-2021

"I've been using a cordless drill and an eyedropper full of undiluted Milestone"

Do this and then cut them down, they don't re-grow. You don't even have to wait, as soon as you apply the milestone they are done.

RE: Albezia and Other Weed Trees - Dealing with them? - Carey - 11-01-2021

Voyager, BIISC has a website just for these questions, which includes the process you must (per code, if you do not want to do it on the sly) go through for neighboring trees:
https://www.biisc.org/albizia-faqs/

Hawaii County Code, Article 2 section 20-21 covers "Unsafe Flora"
https://www.biisc.org/wp-content/uploads/chapter20_2Unsafe_flora_albizia-compressed-1.pdf
Here is the Hawaii County complaint form that includes the "Unsafe Flora"
https://www.dpw.hawaiicounty.gov/divisions/administration/information-complaint-form

AND the BIISC links for Hazard Trees:
https://www.biisc.org/useful-documents-links-videos/

RE: Albezia and Other Weed Trees - Dealing with them? - leilanidude - 11-01-2021

Carey, do African Tulip trees count as hazardous? In Leilani, they are growing as fast as, if not faster than, the Albizia.

RE: Albezia and Other Weed Trees - Dealing with them? - Carey - 11-01-2021

(11-01-2021, 07:46 PM)leilanidude Wrote: Carey, do African Tulip trees count as hazardous? In Leilani, they are growing as fast as, if not faster than, the Albizia.

Actually, in the Hawai`i County "Unsafe Flora" - the link for Article 2 section 20-21 there is no species listed, and if you read through to 20-22 (request to clear) the wording would seem to include any flora, if unsafe, except endangered or ʻexceptionalʻ, however even then, the owner does have responsibilities...
(b)  If the offending uncultivated undergrowth or unsafe flora is registered as an endangered or protected species or is listed as “exceptional” pursuant to chapter 14, article 10 of this Code, or if the owner wants to keep the offending uncultivated undergrowth or unsafe flora, the owner shall submit in writing a treatment plan for its continued safe existence to the mayor’s office, the department of public works, the arborist advisory committee, the offended property owner(s), and, if applicable, the homeowners association. The treatment plan shall be approved by the department of public works and, if applicable, the homeowners association."

RE: Albezia and Other Weed Trees - Dealing with them? - Justin - 11-02-2021

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission, in many cases. I also concur with the cordless drill and the Milestone. One or two holes is sufficient, and the tree quickly drops all its leaves, then slowly disintegrates. Frankly, I doubt anyone would even notice the drill hole.

RE: Albezia and Other Weed Trees - Dealing with them? - Obie - 11-02-2021

I have 4 lots just to the southeast of my property. 2 side by side on my street and 2 on the next street closer to the ocean.
4 Acres of solid albezias and they all belong to one family living in California.
Requests to do something about them has produced no results.
I'm about to lose the ability to see the sunrise.
Going to go full commando and sneak over there to deal with the trees.