Punaweb Forum
Costco Shortages - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Costco Shortages (/showthread.php?tid=22579)

Pages: 1 2

Costco Shortages - DidUHearAboutPluto? - 01-11-2022

Early last month I made two trips to Costco, and both times their produce and dairy sections, in particular, were barren.

First trip I spoke with a couple of employees responsible for stocking and they chalked it up to COVID and supply chain issues.  Deliveries were sporadic to say the least.  They suggested that next trip that I call the store to make sure they were stocked before driving over.

So I did.  Called em up, was advised they were fully stocked - slogged over there and no produce!

Their anticipated shipment had not yet arrived and whomever I spoke to had made assumptions about a delivery which had yet to materialize.

I’d like to head back over in a few days and was wondering if anyone has shopped there recently.  If so were there notable shortages or did their product level appear to be regular.

Thanks much,

RE: Costco Shortages - SBH - 01-11-2022

Aloha Pluto,

It’s hit and miss at all the stores these days. The Young Brothers barge arrives in Kawaihae on Tuesdays and Fridays…

https://htbyb.com/wp-content/uploads/Kawaihae-Cargo-Delivery-and-Availability-Information-Sheet-as-of-05.2020.pdf

Theoretically, the best days to shop Costco should be Wednesdays and Saturdays. If you arrive later in the day there will be hundreds of people shopping ahead of you. Saturday may be busier than Wednesday being a day off for most kama’aina and more flights arriving into the Kona airport one mile away. Many returning visitors go directly to Costco from the airport first before going to their accommodations so going there early in the afternoon may be the busiest time of day.

RE: Costco Shortages - leilanidude - 01-11-2022

I just assumed that the produce was being purchased in large amounts by the fake farmers' market vendors.

RE: Costco Shortages - SBH - 01-11-2022

They do have some local products such as tomatoes and cucumbers, honey, coffee and bread.

Some of us produce those items ourselves. During the lockdown I spent time building a framed/polycarbonate greenhouse and I’m still harvesting tomatoes, cucumbers, romaine, broccoli and kale in January.

RE: Costco Shortages - DidUHearAboutPluto? - 01-11-2022

(01-11-2022, 05:43 PM)SBH Wrote: Aloha Pluto,

It’s hit and miss at all the stores these days. The Young Brothers barge arrives in Kawaihae on Tuesdays and Fridays…

https://htbyb.com/wp-content/uploads/Kawaihae-Cargo-Delivery-and-Availability-Information-Sheet-as-of-05.2020.pdf

Theoretically, the best days to shop Costco should be Wednesdays and Saturdays. If you arrive later in the day there will be hundreds of people shopping ahead of you. Saturday may be busier than Wednesday being a day off for most kama’aina and more flights arriving into the Kona airport one mile away. Many returning visitors go directly to Costco from the airport first before going to their accommodations so going there early in the afternoon may be the busiest time of day.
****Thank you so much SBH.....I had no clue about YB barges and Kawaihae arrival dates.   Nice to know.  And, you are so correct about the hit or miss nature of store stocking these days.  Appreciate your time and input.

RE: Costco Shortages - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 01-11-2022

Good article about grocery store supply chain issues - - which are only magnified when you add in the extra steps it takes to get food shipped into Hawaii.
Shortage of grocery store workers, truckers, backlog at the ports...
Mostly due to people out sick with Omicron.  With a few crop shortages thrown in for good (bad) measure:

"Fires and droughts are damaging crops such as wheat, corn and soybean in the US and coffee crops in Brazil," he said. "We can't ignore it."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/11/business-food/grocery-store-shelves-empty/index.html

RE: Costco Shortages - Puna Grace - 01-12-2022

Shortage of grocery store workers, truckers - HOTPE    

The American Trucking Association says they are short 80,000 drivers and could loose up to 37% of the drivers we have starting Monday as the new OSHA regulations will require larger trucking companies to begin,  tracking vaccination statuses, establish records on statuses to send to OSHA, give paid time off to employees to get vaccinated and recover from symptoms, and enforce mask wearing." 

additionally with regards to Costco and other retailer's goods coming from Canada:

This weekend, Canada will start requiring long-haul truckers crossing the border from the U.S. to show proof they’ve been vaccinated against COVID-19. Stephen Laskowski, president and chief executive of the Canadian Trucking Alliance, said once the vaccine mandate for truck drivers takes effect on Saturday, as many as 16,000 unvaccinated drivers could be sidelined.

RE: Costco Shortages - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 01-12-2022

could loose up to 37% of the drivers we have starting Monday 

I planted peas, white turnips, radish, komatsu today.  Picking tomatoes, New Zealand spinach, basil, collards, sunflower shoots, sprouts etc  daily.  Getting out the seed box to choose more to plant tomorrow...

RE: Costco Shortages - AaronM - 01-12-2022

Zero those sights people, it's time to live high off the wild hog!

RE: Costco Shortages - Durian Fiend - 01-12-2022

(01-12-2022, 12:16 AM)Puna Grace Wrote: Shortage of grocery store workers, truckers - HOTPE    

The American Trucking Association says they are short 80,000 drivers and could loose up to 37% of the drivers we have starting Monday as the new OSHA regulations will require larger trucking companies to begin,  tracking vaccination statuses, establish records on statuses to send to OSHA, give paid time off to employees to get vaccinated and recover from symptoms, and enforce mask wearing." 

additionally with regards to Costco and other retailer's goods coming from Canada:

This weekend, Canada will start requiring long-haul truckers crossing the border from the U.S. to show proof they’ve been vaccinated against COVID-19. Stephen Laskowski, president and chief executive of the Canadian Trucking Alliance, said once the vaccine mandate for truck drivers takes effect on Saturday, as many as 16,000 unvaccinated drivers could be sidelined.
That's fine.  I can do without maple syrup for quite some time.