Punaweb Forum
Crime in Nanawale/Puna? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Crime in Nanawale/Puna? (/showthread.php?tid=22713)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Crime in Nanawale/Puna? - Ccat - 05-02-2022

I was talking to someone a few days ago who had moved out of Nanawale.  (I don’t live in nanawale and hardly go there, BTW)

He said he “got tired of everything being stolen all the time.”  He said it had gotten so bad that “it was like they were waiting to come steal everything as soon as I left.”  He continued to say that he called the sheriff after a tussle with people trying to break in.  They said there wasn’t much they could do because they only had a few officers.  The friend said “what am I supposed to do, just shoot them?  The sherif supposedly said “yeah, you’ve got your no trespassing signs out so just shoot them, but make sure they are dead before you call us.”  

!!!!!!!!

Is there a crime wave going on?  Are we really supposed to shoot them?  Is Nanawale worse than other places?

I am dumbfounded!

Ccat

RE: Crime in Nanawale/Puna? - ChunksterK - 05-02-2022

Law enforcement in Puna is lax, even on a good day, but if an officer of the law actually told your friend to shoot unarmed intruders, it's hit a new low. Hawaii law does not allow deadly force in such situations unless it is "proportionate" to force being used by the intruder. In other words, unless the guy was pointing a gun at your friend as he raided the premises, the homeowner could be prosecuted for protecting his goods by shooting the bad guy. I don't necessarily agree with this philosophy, but I've been told by more than one official source that it is the law.

As for Nanawale, it does not have the greatest reputation, although I hear that the areas near the front can be OK.

RE: Crime in Nanawale/Puna? - HawaiiEV - 05-03-2022

Nanewale always been one of the worse. I believe Hawaii has a castle law which means they have to have committed a felony breaking and entering. I don’t think you can shoot them in the yard like Texas.

RE: Crime in Nanawale/Puna? - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 05-03-2022

Lucky we live Hawaii.
Where we can grow pineapples, a fruit of deadly force. According to a former president:

“A tomato, a pineapple, a lot of other things they throw, … Because if that happens, you can be killed if that happens.” Asked if he was literally saying that someone winding up a tomato justified “the use of physical force,” Trump assented, adding another fruit to the list. “To stop somebody from throwing pineapples, tomatoes, bananas, stuff like that, yeah,” he replied. “It’s dangerous stuff.”

An actual quote from Donald J. Trump last week.  Yes.  Pineapples.  Should do the trick against burglars.  I have white pineapple slips and tops if anyone needs.

RE: Crime in Nanawale/Puna? - Chas - 05-03-2022

Yes, Puna has a crime problem.

I'm in lower HPP. Someone tried to steal my vehicle. It was during the night while it was parked under the house. Several people have had break ins and vehicles stolen.

I keep everything secure and locked at ALL times. Even if I go out in the yard, I lock the door behind me.

Yes, they are literally cruising the streets looking for opportunities. It's actually more likely during the daytime.

RE: Crime in Nanawale/Puna? - kalianna - 05-03-2022

I'm not going to sacrifice a single precious white pineapple in the name of law enforcement. That's why God invented dogs, cameras and guns.

RE: Crime in Nanawale/Puna? - achutch3 - 05-03-2022

I'm on Nextdoor also and all of the complaints of theft, speeding, drugs and so on is mostly from Hawaiian Beaches/Shores area right now.

Surprised not much from HPP, Ainaloa, Nanawale, Leilani, HA, etc.

I guess it just depends on who you ask and how many people from a particular area are on a forum.

RE: Crime in Nanawale/Puna? - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 05-03-2022

We had a rash of break ins and robberies in lower HPP about 6 months ago.  Police arrested a few thieves, then it stopped.  Now another one last week.  Violent and armed.  If they’re caught, hopefully the crooks will be sent away for a long, long time.

RE: Crime in Nanawale/Puna? - HawaiiEV - 05-03-2022

Just the loudest complainers, not an accurate measure of crime. Fruit won’t do much, but people don’t wonder onto the wrong properties in Texas. Dogs and cameras are good. The crime is going to get a lot worse and I don’t suspect the police will be able to do much about it.

RE: Crime in Nanawale/Puna? - achutch3 - 05-03-2022

(05-03-2022, 01:25 AM)HereOnThePrimalEdge Wrote: We had a rash of break ins and robberies in lower HPP about 6 months ago.  Police arrested a few thieves, then it stopped.  Now another one last week.  Violent and armed.  If they’re caught, hopefully the crooks will be sent away for a long, long time.

I grew up in some rough neighborhoods on the mainland it is pretty much what you are describing.  It's usually only actually 3-5 people that are responsible for the majority of what goes on in each neighborhood.  It goes in waves depending on how many of them are locked up at the time.

So, if a few get locked up in HPP crime goes down, but everyone is out in Nanawale so that's the hotspot. 6 months later a few are locked up in Nanawale but everyone is out in Ainaloa and its game on.  So the severity and locations ebb and flow based on a few of the chronic offenders, but it never goes away completely.

Laxed sentencing, lower/no bails, in an effort to keep the inside populations down due to disease may be causing a spike in these guys being out more/longer and hence worsening crime.