Punaweb Forum
June 11 VOG - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: June 11 VOG (/showthread.php?tid=2273)

Pages: 1 2

June 11 VOG - pslamont - 06-11-2008

Man; I have been fighting a mild pneumonia for about six weeks. After my most recent accupuncture and chinese medicine treatments to follow up from my allopathic stuff (hey, I wanna get better; I will try it all) I was feeling great and then this afternoon BAM! Not Emeril but my chest squeezing down tight, out of breath, congested again. Hubby says the air here in Glenwood turned yellow and nasty. I wouldn't know because I am flat on my back under a fan sucking down liquids and my inhaler just trying to breathe.

So, the question: IS IT VOG? IS THE AIR BAD THIS AFTERNOON/EVENING?

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!

RE: June 11 VOG - Guest - 06-11-2008

Welcome back...

I just got over this one that sounds similar to what your feeling.

I was down for close to 10 days!

-------
Lower your expectations and be ready for anything.

RE: June 11 VOG - gtill - 06-11-2008

Sorry to hear that, but you can take heart, the scientists say that vog is not a contributing cause to human illness. (TH volvano watch, today)

RE: June 11 VOG - mgeary - 06-12-2008

I found this site awhile back, and it's been posted here on Punaweb by someone else: Hawaii VOG satellite view. It's updated daily.

If you click on the link, the satellite image should appear, and you can copy the URL in the navigation box at the top of the screen to your Favorites.

Aloha! ;-)

RE: June 11 VOG - pslamont - 06-12-2008

Thanks everyone. Doc has cultured me; it's either mycoplasma or pertussis. Imagine, me with old fashioned whooping cough!

Actually, I have been sick for over 6 weeks now and they tellme to expect 3 to 4 months total. Of course, we know I obeyed the doctors instructions and stayed in bed... I didn't go to San Diego and remodel a condo... not me... LOL. Hey, we all have our burdens, and mine is that there just isn't enough time in a week for me!

Anyway thank you everyone for your notes here and your calls and emails. I will be fine one way or another. The sun is coming out and we might see some breeze to clear things up today. If we don't I promise to keep my fan on, my butt in or near the bed and just try to breathe!

Aloha, Pam

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!

RE: June 11 VOG - Guest - 06-12-2008

quote:
Originally posted by gtill

Sorry to hear that, but you can take heart, the scientists say that vog is not a contributing cause to human illness. (TH volvano watch, today)

I don't know about that one GT.

I went to a funeral service about a week ago. The pastor giving the sermon actually said that never in his 40 years of being a pastor has he seen so many Senior Citizens Passing away from Respiratory problems in Hilo during the last 6 weeks alone. He said he had done more then 15 services during the last 3 weeks alone. That breaks down to almost one per day!

I'm no scientist, but one can't believe that breathing in gas particles can be healthy.

-------
Lower your expectations and be ready for anything.

RE: June 11 VOG - Kapohocat - 06-12-2008

Seems like I can taste the sulfur today ....

RE: June 11 VOG - Nalu - 06-12-2008

They did also say in that study that it was conducted BEFORE the new eruption at Halemaumau Crater, which has significantly raised the sulfur levels. So maybe a new study needs to to be performed. Whether or not it has long lasting detrimental effects, it does certainly irritate the air passages and make even a healthy person feel malaise. My husband was working in Volcano village yeseterday and said there were a few periods of heavy vog up there. We, fortunately didn't get it at our house in Mountain View. Just lots of rain. It does stink this morning though, although I agree Pam it seems to be clearing up.

RE: June 11 VOG - Hotzcatz - 06-12-2008

Yup, Nalu is right and read the whole article, it did say the study was done before the recent increases in vog. Details do matter, ya gotta read the whole thing.

RE: June 11 VOG - Shekelpal - 06-12-2008

My husband read that one of the things SO2 does is cause you to not breathe deeply. It does something to your nervous system that causes you to keep your lungs filled and only take tiny superficial breaths. This then causes problems with your circulatory system because you are not getting enough oxygen into your bloodstream, leading to muscular cramps or sore, achy muscles as well. Now I am one of those who goes into choking fits till I "barf" mucus (sorry not a pretty sight). I really can#699;t stand that, so have tried wearing the dust mask that has been soaked in a baking soda solution and dried - recommended by the County. This helps for a while even after you have removed it, I think because it causes or allows you to breathe deeper and does filter the air some. The other thing is using nose strips (Clear Passage) that widen the nasal passages. Had mixed feelings about this. It is almost like your body is warning you not to breathe by swelling the nasal membranes - but I tend to feel better when I wear them and I guess you do get more oxygen too.

Sorry so many are feeling bad. Hope for strong trades.