Punaweb Forum
beach front - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: beach front (/showthread.php?tid=2279)

Pages: 1 2

beach front - billy - 06-13-2008

Me and three friends are going to be in kona and wanted to rent a place for the night of the 26th of june. Anyone know where we can find a place on the beach, they are looking for a small grass hut style of place, just want to exp. something than a condo on the beach., Thanks for you help.[Big Grin]

RE: beach front - Beachboy - 06-14-2008

call me stupid, but shouldn't you be asking the Konaweb this question?

"I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."

Bertrand Russell

RE: beach front - Carey - 06-14-2008

Billy, Hapuna State Park has 6 cabins just above the beach....
they are screened A frames with shallow (about 2') long hard wood benches running the length of either side & a picnic table in the middle of one end.... Three cabins share a running water washroom. There is a large kitchen/ meeting pavilion at the top (1-3 are lower 4-6 are a little higher)
The cabins are mauka of the Hapuna parking lot, but there is a trail down to the beach...
There can be a blowing mauka wind throught the cabins at night... so a wind proof sleeping bag is good.... also a really good (maybe even a thick) pad helps.... One family in the adjacent cabin had been there many times & had padded plywood extensions to widen the sleeping area.... another brought a cot...

To reserve the cabins go to the state building... you must check in at Hapuna before 4 to get your cabin key...

Forgot to add the links:
http://hawaiistateparks.org/parks/hawaii/hapuna.cfm
http://hawaiistateparks.org/camping/hawaii.cfm

RE: beach front - Guest - 06-14-2008

I stayed at those Hapuna cabins...and to be honest, I wouldn't recommend them.

Besides the numerous centipedes we found outside and inside of the cabins, they were not very secure at all, and we would never leave any valuables in them.

You can see pictures of them here and here and here

While these cabins are cheap... you get what you pay for.

Another more expensive option check out This place

I've stayed here and it was truly relaxing.

-------
Lower your expectations and be ready for anything.

RE: beach front - missydog1 - 06-14-2008

I find myself baffled at this request for grass hut style in Kona. You have been to Kona, right, Billy? There may have been some grass huts two hundred years ago ...
and there are hardly any real beaches.

There are some nice rentals though, and plenty that aren't condos, but they cost more.
How much are you guys willing to spend a night?
If you want to stay under $100 for two people you can get a clean motel room or motel style condo, but not beachfront.

The Kona Tiki is one of the cheapest places right on the ocean.
Magic Sands condos have oceanfront and are reasonably priced.
The Outrigger used to be cheap, but they renovated and have raised their prices accordingly.

Seriously, what do people really mean when they ask for grass hut style? This is the second time this week I've seen it. I've stayed in lagoon-front thatched roof "huts" on Aitutaki that were built of plywood and very basic, but even those were $150 USD a night in a place where the dollar was strong at that time. I'm thinking Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, not Kona!

hey Damon, thanks a lot for the heads-up about the centipedes because my family was going to rent a cabin for an upcoming birthday and they have a baby, and they have enough centipedes to wage war on at their own house.

RE: beach front - pslamont - 06-14-2008

Hapuna cabins are fine for what they are. This is an opportunity to o CAMPING without hauling a tent. You bring your own sleeping bags and everything else.

If you do them, bring some bug spray, find your cabin, spray it first inside perimeter, then the outside perimeter. By the time you get back to your car to begin loading your gear, it will be fine. They have a couple narrow benches to put sleeping bags on to get you up off the ground. We used air mattresses. There is a table with a couple benches. The rest is bathrooms, showers and a community kitchen separate. It is what it is. Kids with us had a great time at the beach boogie boarding all day long for days on end.

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!

quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

I find myself baffled at this request for grass hut style in Kona. You have been to Kona, right, Billy? There may have been some grass huts two hundred years ago ...

They have Grass Huts at the place I mentioned above.

here is a picture of one and this is another one.
[Wink]

oops
-------

RE: beach front - Carey - 06-14-2008

So the spectrum is kinda broad....
Hapuna is $20 per night (up to 4 in a cabin) + all sleeping materials, food & bug spray (BTW in March we only had ants in our cabin... & we didn't spray... but they are very very basic...)

Kona Village 'grass shacks' (but not really, just exterior decor) all inclusive $550+ per night for 2 (on their web special offer)

There are also a number of camping options, and a lot of different types of places to stay.... you may also want to look into some of the bed'n'breakfast venues... It would also depend on your budget... KV is awesome.... but I would have a hard time spending that on a night....

RE: beach front - rusty h - 06-14-2008

thanks Damon for all the info you put up on the web site. i've learned so much about the big island from you.

keep up what your doing for us that are trying to learn as much as possible from locals before we can come over.

peace[8D]

quote:
Originally posted by rusty h

thanks Damon for all the info you put up on the web site. i've learned so much about the big island from you.

keep up what your doing for us that are trying to learn as much as possible from locals before we can come over.

peace[8D]

Thanks Rusty... but in truth... you're not learning much from me... your learning things by others that have questions....

I'm enjoy using Google and can direct things to make it easier to understand for the layman such as myself.

In truth... I learn more from others asking and me looking into things. I like researching things and enjoy sharing things that I come across that others may not have heard about or thought of.

I wish there was a "PUNAWEB" or even less yet...the internet when I was first moving to Hawaii....

Heck... I knew so little about Hawaii, I was telling people I was moving to Highlow, Hawaii! (HILO) [V]

Glad you are learning... feel free to ask any questions personally to me via Personal Message through Punaweb if you have something you would like to ask "off the board".... Trust me.... I get plenty of "off the board" comments and questions.

And to keep this on topic....

One thing I learned about tonight..... I would much rather live "Beach Front" then up in the Volcano Village area.... I just froze my butt off for 4 hours up there.... I can't believe how cold is up there.

-------