Punaweb Forum
The Lex Brodie effect - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: The Lex Brodie effect (/showthread.php?tid=23090)

Pages: 1 2

The Lex Brodie effect - Rob Tucker - 06-18-2023

My wife took our Honda Pilot to Lex Brodie in Pahoa for an oil change.  Not my preferred choice of venue but I had other things to deal with.  Anyway she came home after paying too much for the oil change in a state of alarm.  "The rear brakes are shot!  We have to have them fixed right away!". 
I should have know better.  Lex Brodie.
Anyway I went in and did the rear brakes this morning in the hot sun.  The brake pads were fine.  Were they new?  Of course not.  Were they close to thin enough to threaten damaging the discs?  Not a chance.
Wasted morning.  Thanks Lex Brodie.  At least I knew better than to take the car to them for the work.
Sad

RE: The Lex Brodie effect - AaronM - 06-18-2023

I am not surprised and I'm thankful they didn't get ya!

RE: The Lex Brodie effect - punikahakaiferret - 06-18-2023

Such jerks there. Surprised your missus didn't also get swindled into paying for new muffler bearings and blinker fluid.

RE: The Lex Brodie effect - kalianna - 06-18-2023

The only place worse to take your car would be the dealer. Theyʻd say you need pads AND disks.

RE: The Lex Brodie effect - 'elepaio - 06-19-2023

Or " we can't let you leave "

Gotta R&R the tire'$ air too.

Thanks for the heads up on LB. Hubby does all our own and used to for friends until getting blamed for something totally unrelated a month later .. Did you mess with ___? ugh.

RE: The Lex Brodie effect - Durian Fiend - 06-19-2023

(06-18-2023, 11:36 PM)kalianna Wrote: The only place worse to take your car would be the dealer.  Theyʻd say you need pads AND disks.
Brodie's would have probably gone all in on the brake job with pads, discs and rotors.  

Didn't they give your wife a highly inflated quote for the prospective work, Rob?

RE: The Lex Brodie effect - terracore - 06-19-2023

I stopped going there when they told me it was "illegal" for them to give my car back to me without buying a new tire for it first.

RE: The Lex Brodie effect - HiloJulie - 06-19-2023

About 5 years ago, I took my then 17-year-old 2001 Ford Escape to Lex Brodies in Pahoa for them to diagnose an issue. The car would, under a load when going up a long hill (IE Saddle Road) suddenly what my husband and I felt like "misfire" just once and only did it under a load like that. Nor would it trip any warning lights.

At the time the car had only 40,000 miles on it - we only use the Escape for large grocery runs - or to go to Kona with.

Their diagnosis:

COMPLETE TRANSMISSION FAILURE. Not rebuildable. Must order a whole brand-new transmission. And take it to Ford or one of the transmission shops in Hilo.

But - before "you do that, we should flush the transmission for $149.99 plus tax!"

We decided not to do anything there - and not to plug them but went straight to Orchid Isle Ford. Figured if it's going to cost thousands to fix - we will just get a new one.

Orchid had the car for 2 days - guy calls me and tells me it's a coil on one of the spark plugs. The coil was like 40 bucks - BUT - the labor was like 400 bucks - as it was one of the three in the back of the engine (V6 - mounted sideways) and required a major teardown just to get to it.

He recommends we replace all three back there as well as all of the spark plugs - since if another one goes bad - it's the same teardown and another 400 bucks. If one of the other 3 on the front of the engine goes - it's a simple repair!

Car now is now 22 years old with 65,000 miles and runs like the day it was new!

RE: The Lex Brodie effect - 'elepaio - 06-19-2023

E >>>diesel/coal indoc TRAN($) ants don't even try. This is life for the peEps

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yR2BSDTmGYc

real world

EtA that E bc its everyone. who making ends due to "build back better" fallacy realm. Waiting for that to happen,, lets just start with gas prices please.

RE: The Lex Brodie effect - HiloJulie - 06-19-2023

So Lex Brodie is responsible for high gas prices and the Build Back Better bill that passed and was signed into law that only taxes those who earn 10M or more?

Your extremely poor pidgin imitation typing really makes no sense.

Try harder!