Punaweb Forum
4WD cars for Mauna Kea - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea (/showthread.php?tid=23117)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

4WD cars for Mauna Kea - TomK - 07-23-2023

Given the demise of Harper's, does any know of a car rental company that will rent you a 4WD vehicle without insurance restrictions for driving it on Mauna Kea?

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - HiloJulie - 07-23-2023

Tom,

Might be a logistical pain in the butt - BUT - there is a place a few miles from the Kona airport - "Hawaii Lifted Jeep Rentals."

According to their website:

Can we take our rental vehicle to the summit of Mauna Kea?

Yes, you can go to the summit of Mauna Kea in all our vehicles. If you venture to the summit you must follow all the driving laws and park guidelines. A copy of that information is in the travel guide as well as a link to the Mauna Kea park website.

All our vehicles except the Grand Cherokee can go to Waipio Valley. The road is too small and narrow for the Grand Cherokee to safely make it without sustaining damage. Please note currently Waipio Valley is closed to tourists driving in but you can access the valley by using a tour shuttle service.

I have no idea on costs however.

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - TomK - 07-23-2023

Thank you!

Costs and location aren't an issue (I'm not paying for it!). I have a geologist friend who wants to visit MK and have me accompany him for a tour and visit of an observatory.

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - 'elepaio - 07-23-2023

My favorite from the BAJA Bible.

Every road in BAJA was made by a 2wd Chevy Pickup.

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - Amrita - 07-24-2023

My understanding is that Subaru's AWD with X-mode and Hill Descent Mode are allowed though have not tried that yet with mine.

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - Obie - 07-24-2023

"My favorite from the BAJA Bible.
Every road in BAJA was made by a 2wd Chevy Pickup."

I never realized there are 13,000 ft mountains in Baja where a 4wd with low range is required to prevent brake overheating when descending from the top.

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - 'elepaio - 07-24-2023

ugho plueez Obie,

.not u too ..

Weren't you some kind of mechanic in the past? You should know better son, How did we ever survive ???

Yeah, "need" GPS also ... right ?

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - dobanion - 07-24-2023

Last time I went the questions at the end of the pavement are:

1. Are you going to the summit?
2. Does your vehicle have 4WD?
3. Have you acclimated at this altitude for at least 45 minutes?

That's it. 4WD and you can go to the top. You don't need serious ground clearance or crazy tires like if you were to say, traverse rutted roads in the forest or southern coast or lava rock fields.

I'll advise that non-turbocharged vehicles will struggle under the altitude, our little Jeep Cherokee was practically wheezing.
Don't go at the last minute before sunset, you'll be staring directly into the sun on every other switchback.

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - Durian Fiend - 07-24-2023

(07-24-2023, 03:13 PM)dobanion Wrote: Don't go at the last minute before sunset, you'll be staring directly into the sun on every other switchback.
Oh, that's a good tip.  

During my first visit to the Big Island I had a rent a jeep and drove it to the summit. This was in the early 90's, when Jeeps had relatively crappy brakes. There was no one stopping motorists to check on their cars or physical status.  I don't recall any problems with the Jeep in either direction.

AWD vehicles should be allowed now, no good reason not to take one. 

If a lifted Jeep isn't appealing, maybe rent from a private party advertising on FB or Craigslist.

RE: 4WD cars for Mauna Kea - Obie - 07-24-2023

AWD doesn't have a transfer case with low range.

A true 4WD or 4x4 has a transfer case that can be shifted into low range. You can drive from the top to the bottom without touching the brakes.