Punaweb Forum
Hawaii is irrelevant in space - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hawaii is irrelevant in space (/showthread.php?tid=23255)

Pages: 1 2

Hawaii is irrelevant in space - Punatang - 01-22-2024

Push underway to make Hawaii relevant in space again
  • By Victoria Budiono 

• Today 

• [i]Updated 11:50 pm[/i]

• [i]Efforts are underway to reinsert Hawaii as a player in America’s aerospace and outer space industries.
    [/i]

• “During (then-Gov. David) Ige’s administration, he got rid of the office of aerospace, which I thought was a huge mistake,” said state Sen. Glenn Wakai (D, Kalihi-Salt Lake-Pearl Harbor).
  • He introduced Senate Bill 2081 Thursday requiring a partnership with the Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism to establish an Aerospace and Aeronautics Development Program.
  • Wakai wants to make Hawaii relevant again in America’s aerospace efforts under Gov. Josh Green’s administration.
  • “We really need to chase economic opportunities for diversifying our economy,” Wakai said. “Aerospace is one area where Hawaii can be a global leader.”
  • [i]Hawaii — especially Hawaii island — played a major role in NASA’s early efforts to train and fly astronauts to the moon.[/i]
    https://www.staradvertiser.com/2024/01/22/hawaii-news/push-underway-to-make-hawaii-relevant-in-space-again/

Doesn't S.P.A.C.E. in Seaview count?

RE: Hawaii is irrelevant in space - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 01-22-2024

If you build it, they will come.
And grumble, complain, and protest.

RE: Hawaii is irrelevant in space - Midnight Rambler - 01-23-2024

Note that he doesn't mention what that major role was in the moon landings – which was having astronauts walk around on lava while suited up to simulate the moon's surface, not anything to do with aerospace.

RE: Hawaii is irrelevant in space - TomK - 01-23-2024

Hawaii also provided communications between ground control and the astronauts plus the base where they eventually set foot on land again. Not a huge deal in respect to the whole program but it was a little more than just training the astronauts.

RE: Hawaii is irrelevant in space - terracore - 01-23-2024

The astronauts were processed through customs at HNL.  They weren't exempt from immigration procedures after returning to the country.

moon2

RE: Hawaii is irrelevant in space - Punatang - 01-23-2024

There is a rumor that DMV also required them to produce a weight certificate for the capsule.

RE: Hawaii is irrelevant in space - HiloJulie - 01-24-2024

(01-23-2024, 07:50 PM)terracore Wrote: The astronauts were processed through customs at HNL.  They weren't exempt from immigration procedures after returning to the country.

moon2

Looks suspicious. 

Went all that way and all they brought back was rocks and dust? 

That is if they even really went!

(/S)

RE: Hawaii is irrelevant in space - terracore - 01-24-2024

(01-23-2024, 11:47 PM)Punatang Wrote: There is a rumor that DMV also required them to produce a weight certificate for the capsule.

LOL.  Good thing they didn't transit Puna or NASA would have had to pay road fees. And I'm sure that any Asian food served on the mission toothpaste style would have been bland.

And... "Hawaii is irrelevant in space". Wasn't that already universally understood? I mean, we can't even allow telescopes to look at "space" without people protesting... because ancestors... that navigated by the stars.

RE: Hawaii is irrelevant in space - TomK - 01-24-2024

(01-24-2024, 03:15 AM)terracore Wrote: And... "Hawaii is irrelevant in space".  Wasn't that already universally understood? I mean, we can't even allow telescopes to look at "space" without people protesting... because ancestors... that navigated by the stars.

I was thinking along the same lines; the MK ground-based observatories certainly make more contributions to ground-based astronomy than any other ground-based site. I guess it comes down to the definition of space. Maybe "aerospace" would be a better word but even then Hawaii is not irrelevant. However, the current problem of getting high-tech space-based companies and organizations to successfully invest in Hawaii is an issue.

RE: Hawaii is irrelevant in space - Punaperson - 01-24-2024

Thank you terracore for sharing a delightful bit of history with the documents you showed us.

It puts any bit of bureaucratic hump in perspective.