Punaweb Forum
How To Get An Emergency Access Road Built - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: How To Get An Emergency Access Road Built (/showthread.php?tid=23348)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

How To Get An Emergency Access Road Built - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 05-27-2024

After the Lahaina fire, and fires in west Hawaii Island, private landowners and the county are building an emergency access road in Waikoloa Village. The article describes the recent Mana Road fire, how it took village residents and hour and a half to escape, and the cooperation of Mayor Roth.
Keep reading.
Keep reading.
Then there’s this:

The road will ultimately be an access point to a community of up to 2,000 homes Somers plans to build in the area.

Somers is one of the landowners who is building the road.
If what it takes is a large landowner to find it in their best interest to create a road, is there any possibility that same template could be used in a place with 10 times the population of Waikoloa Village (or more) that will someday need to escape a lava flow, tsunami, bypass an earthquake damaged road, etc, etc, etc? People who are customers at the landowner’s commercial developments?

https://bigislandnow.com/2024/05/23/site-of-long-awaited-waikoloa-emergency-access-route-blessed/

RE: How To Get An Emergency Access Road Built - punikahakaiferret - 05-27-2024

Unless I miss my guess, we already have a "large landowner" here and they aren't interested.

Shipman.

RE: How To Get An Emergency Access Road Built - MyManao - 05-27-2024

Hasn't this point been passed around enough already? Other than Punatics, nobody cares about Puna. Why would they?

RE: How To Get An Emergency Access Road Built - Punatang - 05-27-2024

Why would they?

$$$$$. It's the whole point of the OPs post. Put capitalism to  work.

$$$$$

Money? There ain't any in Puna.. that's the point. Nobody cares for a bunch of losers that are willing to live in harm's way. Let they, collect their fees, their taxes, and walk away when the sh*t hits the fan. Didn't they already prove that with their lack of a response to the 2018 eruption? 

I mean, come on, the Hub? It was a joke, right?

RE: How To Get An Emergency Access Road Built - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 05-27-2024

Hasn't this point been passed around enough already?

Same could have been said of Waikoloa Village.
Until last week.
When somebody finally recognized the point where their own best interest coincided with the best interest of the community.

RE: How To Get An Emergency Access Road Built - HiloJulie - 05-27-2024

(05-27-2024, 07:07 PM)MyManao Wrote: $$$$$

Money? There ain't any in Puna.. that's the point. Nobody cares for a bunch of losers that are willing to live in harm's way. Let they, collect their fees, their taxes, and walk away when the sh*t hits the fan. Didn't they already prove that with their lack of a response to the 2018 eruption? 

I mean, come on, the Hub? It was a joke, right?

As one transplanted mainlander to another, I don’t think calling an entire community here in Hawaii a “bunch of losers” does not really help ingratiate you very well. 

But then again, you have held yourself out as being that transplanted mainlander with all the answers for all things Hawaii and especially it’s people.

Same could have been said of Waikoloa Village.

Little ol' Waikoloa probably generates as much money as all of Puna.. and has the potential to generate 100 times more.. and no volcano to wipe it out every other decade. So yeah.. Puna is for losers as far as the County/State is concerned.

And yes, Julie.. I know Tom doesn't feed you near enough, but hey, he lives in Puna, what do you expect?

RE: How To Get An Emergency Access Road Built - HiloJulie - 05-27-2024

(05-27-2024, 07:46 PM)MyManao Wrote: Same could have been said of Waikoloa Village.

Little ol' Waikoloa probably generates as much money as all of Puna.. and has the potential to generate 100 times more.. and no volcano to wipe it out every other decade. So yeah.. Puna is for losers as far as the County/State is concerned.

And yes, Julie.. I know Tom doesn't feed you near enough, but hey, he lives in Puna, what do you expect?

Well then, if everything is about money generation, TMT should have already been built and be operational today. 

But then, in your book, I’m sure they too are all “losers,” right?

As for the misogynistic reference you once again have to interject, well, what more can one say about you?

Does the word “loser” come to mind?

RE: How To Get An Emergency Access Road Built - HereOnThePrimalEdge - 05-27-2024

and no volcano to wipe it out every other decade.

Have you ever noticed how many fires they have?  It’s an area subject to far more potential destruction than Puna.  Waikoloa Village is in lava zone 3, and that’s Mauna Loa zone 3.  
Do you also understand the difference between middle class Waikoloa Village and mega-rich Waikoloa resort properties?