Punaweb Forum
Good eats...? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Good eats...? (/showthread.php?tid=264)

Pages: 1 2 3

Good eats...? - Holly S - 03-28-2006

Will be arriving next month and staying at a hotel until we can find a rental. Suggestions on good places to eat? We love seafood and asian foods and try to stay on the healthy side when possible when eating. Also, has anyone eaten at the Queen's Court for dinner. I believe that is in the Hilo Hawaiian. Thanks for any imput. Can't wait to try some local foods and check out the farmers Markets.
Holly

RE: Good eats...? - jm minica - 03-29-2006

We don't eat out all that much, but there are a few places in Hilo you should try. For a great breakfast try Ken's Pancake House on the corner of Hwy's 11 and 19(Kamehameha Ave), for local favorites there's Cafe 100 on Kilauea ave, or Verna's which is kitty corner to Ken's. For good inexpensive local style asian food try Hiro's in the Puainako Center just down from the KTA. There are alot of Thai restaurants around here, and all that we have tried have been good. Check out the Maku'u Market on sudays on Hwy 132 almost to Pahoa(left side of the hwy), they have great food vendors and plenty of fresh local produce and goods. The market in Hilo is worth checking out as well, it's open wednesday, saturday, and sunday, and is right in the heart of town by bayfront. Eating out in Hawaii can be an adventure in itself, so enjoy!
Aloha,
Mark

RE: Good eats...? - Howard - 03-29-2006

Welcome to Puna, Holly.

Two good places to look for information are the "Cheap Eats" topic on this board (one of the joys of living here is that there are so many restaurants which are both good and cheap) and the website www.bigislandgrinds.com.

Some of our Hilo favorites are the Hilo Bay Cafe, in the Walmart shopping center just north of Prince Kuhio Plaza on Highway 11 in South Hilo, great for either lunch or dinner; Cafe Pesto, on Kamehamaha in downtown Hilo, ditto; Ocean Sushi Deli, on Keawe downtown, for sushi and sashimi; Big Island Pizza on Kilauea (about one block from the previously-cited Cafe 100), for what may be the best pizza on the island, including exotic toppings such as roast chicken and pesto, or the Northwest special with shrimp and lox; Hilo Homemade, with two locations on Waienenue downtown and next to the Hilo Tropical Garden on the waterfront, for the best ice cream we have found anywhere on this island, including local flavors such as ginger, mango, and macademia.

Howard

RE: Good eats...? - PunaPaula - 03-29-2006

Holly,
Congratulations on your move! We have found many good places to eat on the East side and some of them have already been posted, especially Hilo Bay Cafe and Ocean Sushi Deli. However, I wouldn't really add Queen's Court to that list....at least not for us. We stayed at the Hilo Hawaiian a couple of times while we were buying our home so it was very convenient to eat there. Although the breakfast and nightly buffets have tons of food available and would be OK for those with a big appetite, the quality isn't always there. It's just our opinion but you asked Smile
We did enjoy our stay at the Hilo Hawaiian though....outstanding views!
All the best to you!

PunaPaula

RE: Good eats...? - PunaPaula - 03-29-2006

I almost forgot to mention a great Japanese restaurant call Restaurant Miwa. There is a sushi bar and the food is wonderful....the chef has been there for ever (I am told) and he's tops. It's located in the Hilo Shopping Center kind of tucked back in the corner.

Aloha,

PunaPaula

RE: Good eats...? - John S. Rabi - 03-29-2006

Why would you want to eat in a hotel restaurant when you have so many choices in town? I am surprised nobody mentioned Pescatore yet, it's good homecooking Italian food. (Not as good as Paolo's in Pahoa though.)

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, ABR,CM,CRB,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
75-5870 Walua Road, Suite 101
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
(808)327-3185

RE: Good eats...? - David Deweese - 04-03-2006

Pahoa Town has some of the best Mexican, Thai, and local food around. Don't miss out on an original Puna experiance.

David Deweese RA. ABR. e-PRO
RE/MAX Properties /Pahoa
808-896-5623
www.easthawaiiproperty.com

RE: Good eats...? - Holly S - 04-30-2006

Thanks so much for the great places to check out. I am happy to say that we have eaten and enjoyed foods from many of the above listed. Living in a hotel has its perks, no dished to wash!

RE: Good eats...? - pslamont - 04-30-2006

I would recommend Reubens on Bayfront for decent Mexican food. In Pahoa, Clemente's is a little pricey but very good. We love Lemon Grass in Kea'au shopping center; they just remodeled and I am sad to say it is worse than before!! How can you do that? But the food is great.

Welcome to the wild side; enjoy paradise!

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!

RE: Good eats...? - John S. Rabi - 05-01-2006

Clemente's?! Can't even come close to Paolo's, and, apparently, the general public agreed with me since the restaurant closed for good about two months ago.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, ABR,CM,CRB,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
75-5870 Walua Road, Suite 101
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
(808)327-3185