Punaweb Forum
Pet tags? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Pet tags? (/showthread.php?tid=2704)

Pages: 1 2

Pet tags? - hooligal - 09-22-2008

Where can I get ID tags for our new doggie? Are there shops in Pahoa, Kea'au or Hilo that make them, or a recommendation for an online service?

Our little fellow loves to run & is faster than snot. If someone found him now they would assume he'd bolted all the way from Kona side (old tags) Smile I need to get him some updated tags now that he's a Puna Pup.

Mahalo!

RE: Pet tags? - hikatz - 09-22-2008

You can get i.d tags from the Humane society, or check with the local vets, they have forms you can fill out, and send for name tag. Also Sears key kiosk (by the optical department) does engraving and has tags there.

RE: Pet tags? - StillHope - 09-22-2008

Congratulations on your new doggie!What kind?

RE: Pet tags? - lostboystoy - 09-22-2008

petco or petsmart will have an engraving machine to buy tags. your vet should also have them since they are required to have rabies tags don't they?

setting my soul free....

RE: Pet tags? - hooligal - 09-22-2008

He's a large whippet. I'm a die hard greyhound/whippet person, so this is a perfect fit. He needed a new home asap & I've been searching for a year!

Thanks all for the responses. I'm going to call the HS tomorrow...backup plan with Sears.

RE: Pet tags? - missydog1 - 09-22-2008

Good to know about tags at Sears! One of my cats just lost her last one.

No rabies tags needed ...

Humane Society microchips pets and gives an associated # with an ID tag, but no name on the tag. That is an if found, contact Humane society. Are you dogs microchipped? Aren't they all done when they arrive now! Or were yours not imported by you?

Stacey's Pets next to Ben Franklin does it on order and it takes a couple weeks but they're kewl tags.
I also got some faster tags online, two days. Just google.

ed to add - so pets need ID tags with the owner's name, addy, phone and they also need to be registered with the Humane Society so if they ever end up there you'll be notified. VERY important with cats as they kill cats almost same day brought it unless they are highly adoptable looking or microchipped. Learned this to my grief when my cat went missing and had just slipped her collar ... luckily she came back and didn't end up at the Keaau HS aka Auschwitz for cats.

But now I know about Sears ... thanks hikatz.

Don't know of petco or petsmart ... do we have those here?

RE: Pet tags? - hikatz - 09-22-2008

Unfortunately there isn't a petsmart or petco in Hilo, (we really need a good pet store here.) Vets do not carry rabies tags, as Hawaii is rabies free, this is why the laws are so strict about bringing animals into the State, all paperwork, shots, ect. has to be up to date to pass through quarantine, otherwise it will be a very costly 4 months stay in the kennels. For more information on the quarantine laws. http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/info

RE: Pet tags? - Lin W - 09-22-2008

quote:
Originally posted by KathyH

Humane Society microchips pets and gives an associated # with an ID tag, but no name on the tag. That is an if found, contact Humane society.

If you've had your pet microchipped at the HIHS, best to verify they actually have the records. We tried to locate the owner of a found cat a few weeks back and they had "misplaced" all the chip records. They didn't seem too keen on trying to locate them either. Pretty frustrating. Just FYI.

use it up, wear it out, make it do, do without

RE: Pet tags? - missydog1 - 09-22-2008

That sucks, Lin.
When I moved last year, they were able to locate the records because I changed the address. But I'm not too surprised.

The important thing is, if the pet is chipped that shows it isn't feral, which means it isn't euthanized. The poor feral cats. I feel so bad for them. They put them down the same day, I was told, and if a cat comes in that acts wild -- which I know my cat would, it would totally freak out at being there and with dogs all around -- even if the pet is plump and obviously well cared for, without a collar, and no chip, they will throw it in with the ferals and kill it without holding it to see if an owner shows up.

That's what they told me -- chip your pet to protect it from mistaken euthanization.
So I did ...

Back to the dog tags, I guess the dog collars stay on?
The cat collars are made to break away to be safe, so I put tags on my cats and then they come back in without a collar. 3 or 4 collars and tags lost in the last two months. [Sad]

RE: Pet tags? - Guest - 09-22-2008

I used to live next to the Humane Society on Oahu... and always had to turn away when I saw smoke coming out of the furnaces on the top of the place.

-------
General Election Unofficial Poll