Punaweb Forum
moving from o'ahu to puna - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: moving from o'ahu to puna (/showthread.php?tid=2809)

Pages: 1 2 3

moving from o'ahu to puna - kani-lehua - 10-19-2008

whom did you use?

we were thinking of using royal hawaiian movers. i haven't inquired yet, but will they deliver to a property on private graveled roads?

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

RE: moving from o'ahu to puna - Guest - 10-19-2008

Kani -

If you can do it yourself, I recommend it as it will save a lot of money.

U-Haul on Oahu, Harpers Truck Rental on Big Island (U-Haul has trucks with lifts but they are more expensive.... Harpers trucks with lifts are the same price as the ones with ramps)

The lift does miracles when it comes to moving things like refrigerators.

I was able to pack my entire 1 Brm apartment into a 20' Container. Shipping costs I believe were about $150 or so (young brothers) Also, I shipped my car a week ahead of time so that it would be here when I got here.

-------
My Blog

RE: moving from o'ahu to puna - kani-lehua - 10-19-2008

thanks damon, i knew you would respond being that you just moved back recently.

i'm not really understanding. we pack our belongings into a u-haul. then we take it to young brothers and unload the belongings into the container? you're not saying you load the u-haul into the young brothers' container, right?

sorry, for the silly question. i'm a newbie to moving. never did it before.

"chaos reigns within.
order shall return."

RE: moving from o'ahu to puna - Guest - 10-19-2008

That's pretty much correct. The key is to have everything reserved in advance.

Typically the barge allows you to start packing your shipping container at 9:00 AM on a Tuesday... they give you all day to pack on tuesday... and also all day on Wednesday so if you need to make multiple trips you can. You should purchase your own lock so that you can open and close your container as you wish without worrying about anyone taking anything.

You would be very surprised at how much those containers actually hold if you stack things on top of each other.

The harpers truck that I rented from Harpers on the Big Island (is right next to the young brothers dock. I simply parked my car at Harpers on Hilo and used the rental truck to move stuff directly to my property. Harpers truck rental cost about $29 Plus Mileage or you can do a flat rate of about $125.00 per 24 hours or something to that cost effect....I also had to put in about $40.00 in gas (they are gas guzzlers)

I figured I saved myself about $1,000 minimum and I had the satisfaction of knowing I did it w/out professional movers.

-------
My Blog

mahalo nui loa, damon. guess i'd better start building up some muscles to carry furniture.
the only drawback would be that the dining room table is a large sheet of glass that is quite heavy and then the living room table has two pieces of glass.

"chaos reigns within.
order shall return."

RE: moving from o'ahu to puna - JWFITZ - 10-19-2008

Call me when you get here. I'm just up the road.

will try jay. we're looking at closing in mid november with a move in mid december and that's only if the seller repairs some shoddy roofing. he attempted to do it himself, but it is recommended by our home inspector to have it done professionaly.

"chaos reigns within.
order shall return."

RE: moving from o'ahu to puna - kani-lehua - 11-24-2008

**bump**

just got an estimate today from a mover. they're saying that we have app. 6000lbs and the cost is over $5000. think we're going to try it ourselves and see if some guys/gals can help.

my only concern is the glass table top or glass in general. any ideas?

"chaos reigns within.
order shall return."

RE: moving from o'ahu to puna - dcl - 11-24-2008

Bubble wrap the glass, then use shrink wrap around it. You can get the wide wrap that is like saran wrap only heavier at Costco, but get it in the wide box. Use a hair dryer on the wrap to shrink it, so it is snug all the way around, then you can also tape it to hold it in place. Just be prepared that it might still get broken. Glass is a hard thing to move, but it can be done.

RE: moving from o'ahu to puna - kani-lehua - 11-24-2008

thank you.

it would cost a bundle to have to replace it.

"chaos reigns within.
order shall return."