Punaweb Forum
Can We Be The Safest Community in Wherever? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Can We Be The Safest Community in Wherever? (/showthread.php?tid=3592)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Can We Be The Safest Community in Wherever? - james weatherford - 11-19-2008

...the State of Hawaii, USA, the World, wherever.
Can We?
Crime -- real crime -- violence, theft, endangerment, arson and other threats to life and property: not tolerated. (sell that!)
Currently Hawaii County has the most dangerous roads in the state.
Can our community be the safest community wherever?

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park

RE: Can We Be The Safest Community in Wherever? - Jon - 11-19-2008

Yes.
But the Hawaii can only house so many criminals. If these things are not tolerated what do you do to the people that do these things?

Transplanted Texan
"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick some *** ... and I'm all out of bubble gum"

RE: Can We Be The Safest Community in Wherever? - Guest - 11-20-2008

It has been my observation in the world that safe communities are a result of people having a vested interest.

When one works hard and has invested his capital into property, he will tend to be respectfully of other peoples property and safety.

People that have not worked, earned and saved, tend not to respect work or it's derivatives. They will be more likely to take your stuff and assault you.

RE: Can We Be The Safest Community in Wherever? - james weatherford - 11-20-2008

Even those criminals in suits and ties?
And the ones driving down the road fast in big cars and in trucks with illegal tires?

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park

RE: Can We Be The Safest Community in Wherever? - oink - 11-20-2008

James, I think your topic is too broad. If you referring to any behavior that has the potential to harm another person or persons or property, that is extremely broad. The only way to stop that would be to instill the highest morals in all residents. Taken to the extreme you would have a society resembling a new form of Puritanism. We are rapidly rushing in the opposite direction. A reasonable compromise would seem in order, but instilling morals includes respect for both yourself and others. We as a society seem determined to eliminate all morals. Of course man will never be capable of perfection. Care to narrow your topic?

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

RE: Can We Be The Safest Community in Wherever? - Hotzcatz - 11-20-2008

First off you have to create community. At the moment, HPP is a bedroom subdivision with folks not really knowing their neighbors much. Neighborhood parks, corner stores, a coffee shop or bakery, etc. would allow the community members to interact with each other enough to become a true community. At the moment, the folks don't have much in common with each other beyond where they sleep at night.

RE: Can We Be The Safest Community in Wherever? - Guest - 11-20-2008

James -

You need to spend some time living in some of the "darker" parts of the Mainland.

I myself have never felt safer in my life... until I moved to Hawaii.

My grandmother on my fathers side is still living in Compton[Wink]

-------
My Blog

RE: Can We Be The Safest Community in Wherever? - Kelena - 11-20-2008

I agree about HPP. I think HPP needs to be broken up into about six or seven easily managed pieces.

RE: Can We Be The Safest Community in Wherever? - Seeb - 11-20-2008

division of hpp is what the old guard feudal types want by making two school districts and zip codes. What it needs is to be one. a Town with its own post office, a village center, a little market, the same school or at least a playground. more community events maybe a parade or something.

RE: Can We Be The Safest Community in Wherever? - Seeb - 11-20-2008

and some ideas to make a more stable population massive amounts of vacation homes and rentals just make targets for the thieves.they dont build a community.
and to make the things everybody complains about a litte bit better so theirs not so much turnover in residents. people are hesitant to get to know people because you spend time getting to know someone and Poof there gone