Punaweb Forum
policy priorities - Council & Mayor Candidates - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Specialized Group Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: 2008 Big Island Elections (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: policy priorities - Council & Mayor Candidates (/showthread.php?tid=3630)

Pages: 1 2

policy priorities - Council & Mayor Candidates - james weatherford - 06-28-2008

What would really impress me?
Prioritize successful implementation of the following policy initiatives.
Each of these policy initiatives have been demonstrated as viable and replicated in other jurisdictions.
There are ample proven models to draw upon and expedite implementation.

1.Implement a 'green' procurement policy, to support the purchase of recycled and environmentally preferred products in order to minimize environmental impacts related to the County government's activities.
2.Maximize the use of eco-friendly design for all new construction and all remodeling of county facilities, including, but not limited to, renewable energy such as solar (photovoltaic and hot water).
3.Enact 'good character' legislation that prohibits the county from letting contracts to, or conducting any other business transaction with, individuals or companies (including subsidiaries, partners, etc) that are repeated violators of environmental regulations, and that, during the most recent 10 years, have been convicted of felonies, or had adverse civil judgments. All vendors will provide full disclosure to document their character and business ethics.
4.Put into action a policy of Zero Waste, where the emphasis is on waste reduction, materials recycling, and resource recovery, using actions that are clean, safe, and low cost; and that strengthen community-based economic development. Change what has been called ‘waste management’ into ‘resource management’ – be resourceful instead of wasteful.
5.Phased prohibition of importation and/or use of material posing high risks of drastic and widely distributed environmental degradation, such as, but not limited to, polystyrene food containers and plastic-film shopping bags.
6.Lobby for State enactment of product stewardship (extended producer responsibility) legislation to provide incentives to manufacturers to consider the entire life-cycle impacts of a product and its packaging.
7.Rezone agricultural land to non-agricultural uses only in the case of public services and affordable housing, and only when it is demonstrated that no other site of comparable value for money is available in the same community. (kapu)
8.Fund and implement a mass transit system that directly and daily offers a viable alternative for commuting to work and school, with routes and schedules targeted at getting commuters to switch from driving private vehicles to riding the bus.
9.Fund what is necessary to put the entire county park system into topmost condition and to keep it that way.
10.Explore wide implementation of user-pay fees being a means for partial funding of non-emergency services, such as mass transit and parks.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park

RE: policy priorities - Council & Mayor Candidates - Bob Orts - 06-28-2008

Great ideas.

Now where's the money going to come from?

RE: policy priorities - Council & Mayor Candidates - Guest - 06-28-2008

What would really impress me, is if some of the elected officials actually didn't depend on decision makers under them.

What would really impress me... even more so, is if the candidates would at least register for a website so that we could see their views on things without having to view their thoughts through other peoples pages.

I mean it only cost a few bucks to register your name and domain.

What would really impress me... is if people on Punaweb quit thinking I'm behind one candidate or issue. [Wink]

-------
It is the way... the way it is.

RE: policy priorities - Council & Mayor Candidates - james weatherford - 06-29-2008

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Orts

Great ideas.
Now where's the money going to come from?

Good question Bob...

Only #9 proposes anything that would necessarily be new spending for implementation.

#10 is about how to partially pay for #8 and #9.

#1 and #2 require directing existing spending in a different direction;

#3, #4, #5, #6, and #7 require no appropriation;

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, and #7 can be expected to result in cost savings in ensuing years for the County government and to individuals/families.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park

RE: policy priorities - Council & Mayor Candidates - macuu222 - 06-29-2008

Dr. Weatherford has got my vote!

RE: policy priorities - Council & Mayor Candidates - james weatherford - 06-29-2008

how sweet.

Would you , instead please kindly accept a recommendation from me?
Pilago for Mayor.

Don't know how much of the above ideas Pilago would be in for, but I do know I can feel confident being able to approach him with such ideas and expect a civil and genuine reception for discussion.
My experience certainly indicates that would not be the case with Higa.
Can't say about any of the other candidates for Mayor or Council.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park

RE: policy priorities - Council & Mayor Candidates - Guest - 06-29-2008

I too have heard similar stories about Angel that Dr. W has expressed.

I also like his views on many things.

I think Pilago as Mayor and Kale on the Council might just be a good thing.

Why is it so often that the Mayor Clashes with the Council.

If we get a Mayor in that works with the council, then maybe some things would get done around here.

How many things in Hawaii get pushed back just because of political indifferences just amazes me.

Confusion cost money. Working as a team has always seemed like a good plan to me.

-------
It is the way... the way it is.

RE: policy priorities - Council & Mayor Candidates - james weatherford - 06-30-2008

quote:
Originally posted by Damon

I too have heard similar stories about Angel that Dr. W has expressed.
I also like his views on many things.
I think Pilago as Mayor and Kale on the Council might just be a good thing.
Why is it so often that the Mayor Clashes with the Council.
If we get a Mayor in that works with the council, then maybe some things would get done around here.

Of course, voting for Gumapac does not mean voting for Pilago and
voting for Pilago does not mean voting for Gumapac.

There are NINE Council members and ONE Mayor.

The Mayor needs at least 5 of those 9 and often 6 of the 9 to work with.

Because Angel has been a solid Council member, he has a good grasp of what is required to work with the entire Council, no matter who those nine people are. Certainly, that common understanding has been absent for the past several years.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park

RE: policy priorities - Council & Mayor Candidates - Bob Orts - 06-30-2008

#1 is a cost item. “Green” and recycle products are a premium in procurement. So it will cost more. Where’s the extra money coming from?

#2 is a cost item. The cost to purchase, install and service these items cost money. Some will come from the reduction of monthly expenses but none the less, they will add cost. Where’s that money coming from?

#3 is a great idea, but why stop at just those items? If it purpose is that important, all money spent by government needs to adhere to this standard including funds to community groups and service organizations.

#4 all this cost money to implement and find markets. Where’s the money coming from?

#5 what’s the difference between a polystyrene food container and a polystyrene shipping container? What’s the difference between a plastic bag that people find uses for versus the shrink-wrap on shipments that are all tossed in the landfill? Why not just place a tax on all these unwanted products to cover the actual cost of recycling even if it means a double or tripling of consumer prices? If there is no recyclable market on Hawaii, let’s just ban the product period.

#6 Incentives = less money in government coffers or an expenditure. Where is that money or the make up money coming from?

#7 is completely meaningless. So what’s the difference between a property zone agricultural versus residential if there’s no mandate to use the agricultural zoned land for agriculture? A person purchases a 100 acre farm and flattens it to make a lawn and put up their private single family residence with fences gates, swimming pool, tennis court, and 6 car garage; has the agricultural designation produced anything?

#8 Cost

#9. Where is the money coming from? User fee’s? So everyone will pay a fee to enter parks. How much will it cost and what does that equate to the average user?

#10. Why for those items and not higher permit fees for residential homes? If population is the reason for issues being what they are, raise building permits so only those who can afford the parks can pay for their upkeep. Don’t nickel and dime the people to death just triple the property tax and eliminate the resident exemption. When you think about it, who uses the services? If the residents are using the services, raise their taxes to cover your suggestions. That will solve all the problems.

RE: policy priorities - Council & Mayor Candidates - oink - 07-01-2008

I would think it would be good to hear who a proposed Mayor would appoint to the Police Advisory Commettee, as it does have some important powers: http://co.hawaii.hi.us/police_commission/police%20commision%20rules.htm

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.