Punaweb Forum
Pot initiative passed but won't be enforced - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Pot initiative passed but won't be enforced (/showthread.php?tid=4596)

Pages: 1 2 3

Pot initiative passed but won't be enforced - macuu222 - 11-07-2008

Police say the ballot means nothing and will continue the way they have been.

While I personally feel that pot is a mind altering drug and that I would be better off without it....I also feel that it's no worse then alcohol which is legal. But I do very much believe in democracy...And if the majority of people on this island voted to change the way "local" law enforcement enforces this drug...then the county should change it regardless if the DEA continues it's enforcement.

It's been done in other states...and it can be done here.

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/articles/2008/11/07/local_news/local02.txt

RE: Pot initiative passed but won't be enforced - Rob Tucker - 11-07-2008

There's tons of things the county doesn't enforce. It may be that the police will say what they say but whether the CoH accepts federal money for the eradication overflights might be all that the initiative sponsors really wanted. No money, no choppers.

RE: Pot initiative passed but won't be enforced - Guest - 11-07-2008

*edit* The Radio Said... Lincoln Ashida said otherwise on the radio today and that it will become a law eventually.

-------
My Blog

RE: Pot initiative passed but won't be enforced - Rob Tucker - 11-07-2008

Damon, I don't understand. Ashida said otherwise of what? and what will become a law eventually?

On the radio...

They were talking about how Chief Mahuna said the police were still going to go about busting people.

The DJ mentioned that Lincoln Ashida said that because of the way the bill was passed by the people ... that it will become Law.

I can't remember exactly how the DJ went about it... I just remember specifically hearing that Ashida was against what Mahuna was saying.

So don't quote any of that as a direct quote. It should be in the news in the next few days I would expect.

-------
My Blog

RE: Pot initiative passed but won't be enforced - gtill - 11-07-2008

Our new pres. to be Obama has talked of decriminalizing it, it seems he has a grasp of what will be. The ice epidemic was a direct result of green harvest. When did he grad from Punahou? He might of been around then, and saw it. He also specified no other drug will be considered fortunately.

RE: Pot initiative passed but won't be enforced - dakine - 11-07-2008

In the trib's article it reads:

Both Corporation Counsel Lincoln Ashida, the county's top civil attorney, and Lehmann disagreed with Mahuna that it was a resolution. The charter states that an initiative approved by a majority of voters becomes "an ordinance of the county."

Does this suggest that the police might have their hands tied if the prosecutor doesn't follow their arrest with an indictment?

RE: Pot initiative passed but won't be enforced - Mitzi M - 11-07-2008

I am also confused by the hopeful passing of this initiative. Here is one important thing that I think it means, but I'm not sure.

I think it prohibits the County from agreeing to have County cops deputized to take part in pot busts organized by the DEA. So, take for example the recent busts in Ocean View - the County worked under the DEA there (and I believe supplied much of the human power not to mention directions to some out of the way places for the feds). If I understand correctly, this new law would make it so that the County could not participate in this way. The feds could still do what they wanted but would have to have all their own people and um...maybe "Onstar" or something to help them find their way. Anybody know for sure?

quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

Damon, I don't understand. Ashida said otherwise of what? and what will become a law eventually?

Rob,

Hunter was able to express what I'm incapable of here.

I only heard what I had on the radio and don't really understand the law in itself.

Hunter's read is a good one and I think Police Chief Mahuna owes the public an apology as well... or at least some sort of re-traction.

-------
My Blog

RE: Pot initiative passed but won't be enforced - bystander - 11-08-2008

This if from the TH article.
quote:
Ashida said that, as directed in the voter-approved initiative, the County Council cannot accept any funds for marijuana eradication programs, and that the county clerk must send out an annual letter to state and federal elected officials requesting "that ... government remove criminal penalties for the cultivation, possession and use of cannabis for adult personal use."

This is from an article in WHT. I guess this means greenharvest for one more year. This is all very confusing. I thought the council voted not to accept federal grant money.

quote:
Because the initiative passed, there's a new ordinance on the county books that also stipulates the county can no longer accept grant money for marijuana eradication. That proviso, however, will have no immediate effect.

This fiscal year's operating budget went into effect in July, long before voters approved the marijuana initiative, and it included grant money for marijuana eradication.

advertisementThe budget earmarks $370,000 in federal grant dollars, $159,000 in state grant money and $63,500 in matching funds from the county for marijuana eradication.

Council Clerk Casey Jarman and Police Chief Lawrence Mahuna said Thursday that, because the budget was already approved, the Police Department will be able to accept the grant money when it's made available.

Mahuna said he's glad the marijuana eradication program will be able to operate at full force -- meaning helicopters will continue to be deployed to search for illegal marijuana crops -- for at least another year.