Punaweb Forum
Seafood offerings in Puna or Hilo? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Seafood offerings in Puna or Hilo? (/showthread.php?tid=4680)

Pages: 1 2

Seafood offerings in Puna or Hilo? - morganlady - 11-23-2008

Since I've lived on the cheap when I was visiting previously (cold cuts and oriental takeouts), I'm not aware of what different places may serve. Any hints on where seafood casseroles (not fish) are served locally? Mild, flavorful but not real spicy offerings are what I crave.
Thanks in advance

RE: Seafood offerings in Puna or Hilo? - missydog1 - 11-23-2008

hmm, I'm not sure I've ever seen a seafish casserole on a menu here. What kind of dish do you mean?

We have Japanese, Thai, Seaside (which will be fish), Pescatore (Italian), Cafe Pesto which will typically have a pasta dish with seafood in it, as might Hilo Bay Cafe.

I'm really not sure what you mean though. Are you looking for island caught fish or frozen imported seafood? The preferred way to cook good fresh fish is to offer it as a filet or maybe just added in chunks to a stir fry or pasta medley at the end. A lot of fish won't stand up to being baked in a casserole, it kind of kills it. (Canned tuna and salmon being exceptions)

RE: Seafood offerings in Puna or Hilo? - Seeb - 11-23-2008

the Seaside is a favorite

yes, the Seaside is, but as I recall it's entree's hover between $25 and $30 and aren't casserole style ... I think of it as a place to go for a birthday.

RE: Seafood offerings in Puna or Hilo? - morganlady - 11-23-2008

I've gotten addicted to a place here called Empire Wok, which offers that fake crabmeat, shrimp and various chopped veggies in a creamy style gravy. With moko-locos so popular, I thought maybe there was something like that on the East side - guess I could just make some myself.
Isn't the Seaside that motel, too, where parking is a premium just past Hwy 11?

RE: Seafood offerings in Puna or Hilo? - Chuysmom - 11-23-2008

That's Coconut Grill...also pricey. But - really good. I don't know what a seafood casserole is, with no fish.

I love Thai - there's Ayuthaia, Chaing Mai, Sombats, Nings, you can ask for it mild...it's so yummy.

Carrie Rojo

"The sun and moon collide. Isn't gravity a funny thing? The universe explodes apart. All the children sing..." Todd Rundgren

Where is the Coconut Grill? Embarrassing that I don't know!

morganlady, the Seaside Restaurant is most definitely NOT the Seaside motel.
It's on the lagoon inlet on the mauka side of Carlsmith Beach Park. There are some tall apartment buildings across the street on the makai side too.

But it's really about FISH, fresh fish, with the traditional rice or potatoes choice, veggies, etc..

You could try getting addicted to coconut galanga soup ... with shrimp or chicken ...
I know I could ... try Sombat Thai and ask for very mild if that's what you like.

RE: Seafood offerings in Puna or Hilo? - Carey - 11-23-2008

Now to get confusing, the Coconut Grill is the restaurant in the Seaside Hotel... which is across (west) of Ice pond, near the Ice Pond Diner, which used to be Harringtons, both of which are 3 miles west (Hiloside) of the Seaside Restaurant, which is not on the seaside, but on the opposite side,pondside, of 4 Mile Beach, so named because it is 4 miles from the downtown Post Office, the beach is composed of 2 beach parks, Carlsmith & James Kealoha....

One plus One, in the Walmart shopping center, has seafood concoctions that have non-fish....seafoods.... along with many of the Thai, Chinese, & Filipino restaurants... but if you are looking for a creamy casserole, Safeway has had some of the most delectable 5# bags of bay scallops that go on sale every month or so.... a little butter & noodles or rice.... NUMMM

RE: Seafood offerings in Puna or Hilo? - Hotzcatz - 11-24-2008

Ah, one of your first introductions to shopping and acquisitions in a remote island setting. Frequently you will come up empty handed if you go in search of a specific item, such as in this case, creamy seafood casseroles without any fish. Usually, the best way to find the good stuff is to see what's available and select from that list otherwise your frustration levels can reach new and interesting levels. It also allows really good things that you didn't know were out there to be enjoyed.

RE: Seafood offerings in Puna or Hilo? - oink - 11-24-2008

Oink's almost instant seafood casserole: Go to KTA and get shrimp flavored cup o ramen noodles, poke flavor of choice, sliced smoked tako, fresh longneck clams(if they have), green onions and eggs. Boil water, pour enough into cup to loosten the noodles and cover. After noodles are pliable add some of the poke, the clams, tako, 1egg and more hot boiling water and stir. Let sit until you're tired of letting it sit. Add onions. It should be thick enough to call it casserole if you want to. If it makes you feel better sprinkle in some smushed saltines to thicken or on top.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.