Punaweb Forum
Mac Made Easy open in Hilo - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Mac Made Easy open in Hilo (/showthread.php?tid=4741)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Mac Made Easy open in Hilo - hooligal - 12-05-2008

For all the Mac nuts in the crowd...We don't have to drive to Kona for repairs any more! Mac Made Easy opened in Hilo on Keawe. Certified Techs & Apple Care warranty repairs. Woo hoo!

* I'd rather fail at happiness than succeed at misery *

RE: Mac Made Easy open in Hilo - Devany - 12-05-2008

LOL... at first glance I thought this was a fast food place offering Macaroni Salads!

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

Devany Vickery-Davidson
East Bay Potters
www.eastbaypotters.com

RE: Mac Made Easy open in Hilo - Guest - 12-05-2008

The key is to use real butter and top with shredded Chedde.... Oh never mind.

RE: Mac Made Easy open in Hilo - Beachboy - 12-06-2008

I'm assuming that this is the same group from Honolulu that serviced Honolulu pretty good for about 10 years or more. They were located in the Manoa Valley Shopping Center for years upstairs. Then they moved to Nuuanu Shopping Center above downtown. They thrived in Honolulu until Apple opened there first shop at Ala Moana. After Apple opened their first, then second Store(Kahala Mall), and now third store(Apple Waikiki), Independent Apple dealers basically lost upwards to close 90% of their business to Apple's retailers in Honolulu. So basically people like "Mac Made Easy" & "MacCheese", in Honolulu were basically just surviving. So making the move to Hilo is pretty cool. Who deals with Macs in Kona?

-----------

Let's get together and over grow the government!!!!

RE: Mac Made Easy open in Hilo - Noel M2 - 12-06-2008

It's a great little shop. We dropped in and found a keyboard for a great price. I compared their prices for the iPod Touch and found them cheaper than Walmart!

Noel
http://HiloParadise.com

RE: Mac Made Easy open in Hilo - missydog1 - 12-06-2008

This is great! My Mac has needed service for over a year (my Apple Care warranty is still in effect, but only 6 more months). The Kona people never returned calls and I didn't want to send the computer off island ... so this is cool!

RE: Mac Made Easy open in Hilo - hooligal - 12-06-2008

Beachboy, yes it's the same company from O'ahu.

FYI, when your Mac does go out of warranty try fixing or upgrading yourself. My mom's 5 year old laptop died 2 weeks ago & apple quoted her $900 to fix it. Instead, she sent it to me and I did it for a total outlay of $60 bucks. Dang, I'm in the wrong business!

I got the parts online from http://www.macsales.com. Apple told me about the site & they have excellent prices. They also have parts for the old macs that I haven't been able to find elsewhere. In most cases their prices even beat eBay & macsales stuff is *new* and warranteed! Be sure to pick up the tool kit - it has all the wierd & tiny tools you need to take apart a mac.

To do the install, I used the excellent step-by-step instructions I found at http://www.ifixit.com. I had the laptop 90% disassembled & had no trouble at all. It just takes patience and deep breaths [Big Grin] They have instructions for everything,even the current generation macs, ipods & iphones!

I've used macsales & ifixit to do 3 upgrades/repairs in the past week & every one has worked. They're a great resource when your Apple Care is kaput.

If taking apart your mac makes you squimish, I'm happy to come over with my toolkit to lend moral support and an extra set of hands.

Oh, three more things to know while you have Apple Care. My mainstay Mac pooped out last week & I got some really interesting info from the Apple Care Team.

1) Always report problems to Apple & make sure it's in your file. They said that if the same problem persists *after* your Apple Care expires, they will still honor the repair because it was a pre-existing condition beforehand. Keep your trouble report # somewhere safe so that they can look it up again.

2) If your Mac is your primary business computer & you can't work without it, request a replacement instead of a repair. I didn't know about this until I had already sent my Mac to the repair center on the mainland [Sad] I called to check on the status & mentioned that I was basically unemployed until my Mac came home. The Apple Care guy told me that they would have sent me a new mac, put a hold on a credit card, then removed the hold when my old mac arrived at Apple !!! HUH? I figured it would be a loaner, that they would fix my mac, return it and I'd send the new one back, but he said no, I keep the new one. I'm bummed I found out about this after the fact. If they want to repair your Mac, be VERY vocal that you can't earn money without it, just be sure you have the ability to back up that claim (business taxes, business name, etc).

3) Apple Care pays for FedEx 2 day back & forth to the repair center on the mainland. Granted, you don't have a computer during that time, but they pay the shipping bill. They send you an empty box, you pack up & ship, they send it back, all on their dime. My Apple Care paid for itself right then and there. However, I'm going to use Mac Made Easy if this ever happens again.

Please note that I haven't put items 1 and 2 to the test. I'm currently in the middle of item 3 [Smile] If my Mac acts up again, I'll report back on the replace-with-new policy. Crossing my fingers that I won't have to find out.

I'm thinking of starting a Yahoo Group for East Side (or BI) Mac Users. Anyone else interested?

RE: Mac Made Easy open in Hilo - missydog1 - 12-06-2008

These are great tips! I do have my support emails saved from when I reported the problem, the one involving the main computer (laptop) seems to have righted itself when I installed Leopard, but the remaining problem is it has never written DVD disks and I have a lot of photos I'd like to put on DVD for backup in addition to my external hard drive. Actually I need to get them off my main hard drive because they're hogging the memory ...

I can do CD's, but it will take a lot of them.

My son is a Mac Nut, certifiable, you guys should meet. He does tutoring for people with new Macs as a sideline. His Mac passion is intense. He doesn't do physical repairs though. You are brave!

I don't really like Yahoo, but my son would probably enjoy being in a Mac group.

Hee, yeah I am a dyed-in-the-wool mac fan. I built and supported PCs for 7 years & lost my marbles. I made the switch 8 years ago & am never going back [:p]

I set up a yahoo group, much as they bug me, but heck, they work:
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/big_island_mac_nuts/

I have to approve every member (hope to keep spammers out).