Punaweb Forum
You dirty rat you - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: You dirty rat you (/showthread.php?tid=4819)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

You dirty rat you - Guest - 12-23-2008

There is a new sheriff in town!!![Big Grin]

I have some avocado trees around my house and saw a rat climbing around the branches yesterday. I did what I have always done in the past, that is got my 22 Ruger rifle and slapped in a clip of rat shot. This was day time and very bright out, I sighted the rat and blew it out of the tree. It was a little untidy but the fat rat now ceases to exist. It must have been sick if it was looking for food in the daytime.[xx(]

Someone must have called the police because they came and enquired what the shooting was about. I told them and they left, I even display proudly to them where the dead rat was. They of coarse informed me about the perils of discharging a fire arm in a residential area and that I could do life without the possibility of parole if I accidently shot someone’s parrot instead of the intended rat. I guess that it is time to purchase some more rat poison so that the rats can suffer to death with excruciating pain, it’s much more humane that way. I’m just not sure how to tell the neighbors cats that I have just put out some poison and to leave it alone. Well, why should I feel concern they defecate in my yard anyway.

The Lack

RE: You dirty rat you - MarkP - 12-23-2008

There are others out in the world who take a positive glee in dispatching rats and describing their exploits online. Most favor a pellet gun but there are those who describe the taking of a rat with an old fashioned snap trap as though it were a big game hunt in Africa. Check out ratkill.com. Amongst all the ranting and hot air you might glean some usefull information.

RE: You dirty rat you - John S. Rabi - 12-23-2008

You are lucky, they could have arrested you just for discharging the firearm.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,ARB,BFT,CM,CBR,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"

RE: You dirty rat you - oink - 12-23-2008

What is the law on discharging a firearm in his type neighborhood?

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

RE: You dirty rat you - Beachboy - 12-23-2008

Tom, is "Toast" also friendly with rats too? I didn't realize that dogs can also make good rat/mouse hunters. I have three dogs at my home. The one Pitbull in my front yard goes crazy almost nightly. She takes on all takers from B-52 Cockroaches, to rats so big their nuts drag on the ground! Funniest thing i've ever seen!

-----------

Let's get together and over grow the government!!!!

RE: You dirty rat you - Guest - 12-23-2008

quote:
Originally posted by John S. Rabi

You are lucky, they could have arrested you just for discharging the firearm.

What?

Lack's not allowed to hunt on his own property?

We discharge a gun right next to Pahoa School about once a month. So do a few of our neighbors... Yes, it's into a pig that's trapped in our yard... but if that pig ran up a tree... we'd still be shooting at it!

Were not eating rats though.

-------

I figured John was referring to 2nd degree reckless endangering: http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol14_Ch0701-0853/HRS0707/HRS_0707-0714.htm but I couldn't find where it addressed ag purposes or pest control. That .22cal ratshot becomes harmless at fairly short range, so it is pretty safe. Safer than many pellet guns.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

RE: You dirty rat you - Fishboy - 12-23-2008

quote:
Originally posted by oink

That .22cal ratshot becomes harmless at fairly short range, so it is pretty safe. Safer than many pellet guns.

Is that the 22 short that makes a sound like a pellet gun? A guy I work with shoots feral cats with those loads. Never used them, but you're right that the range is very short.

Aloha pumehana,
Brian and Mary
Lynnwood, WA\Discovery Harbour

The standard .22 short makes less noise than the high velocity long rifle, but still makes a good pop. They contain less powder but also contain a lighter bullet resulting in fairly high velocities and crack. The quietest .22s are the CBs. They come in shorts or longs. I like the CB longs as they function better. They sound like a pellet gun and are of comparable power and of limited range. They usually contain no gun powder. Some pellet guns are more powerful. Next up the noise scale are the subsonics. They are full power but contain heavier bullets which slows the velocity, thus subsonic. They make a good pop but lack the supersonic crack that carries a long distance. On top you have the various high or super high velocity long rifles. Your neighbors are sure to hear them. The .22 ratshot is not too noisy but is of very limited range. I don't think .22 ratshot would knock a rat out of the upper branches of a real large avacado tree.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.

RE: You dirty rat you - David M - 12-23-2008

Beware - times they are a changin...
We live in a rural neighborhood, mostly 20 acre lots. Still lots of hunters. A weapon discharge can and does get attention from HPD. A big todo a few months back with one of the local neighbors that lives on only a few hundred acres. Apparently he was told that under the new rules, if a neighbor can hear it and complains, then it was too close. Word on the street is only one neighbor does all the complaining, but then one is all it takes. Mine own firearm days are over, but now and then I do think a pellet gun might be handy should I need vermin control.

David

Ninole Resident