Punaweb Forum
Uncle Billy's Hotel? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Uncle Billy's Hotel? (/showthread.php?tid=503)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Uncle Billy's Hotel? - lluberesm - 07-04-2006

Aloha Everyone,

I am finally making my research trip this month to the BI! I will be staying at Uncle Billy's Hotel in Hilo on Banyan Drive. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or opinions on this Hotel (especially any bad experiences.) How far is Puna from where I will be staying? Will the drive be difficult? I got a great price for a package on Hawaii.com and it falls right within the budget for my travel expenses, plus it was the only hotel the website offered in Hilo lol.

I would also like to know from anyone who has made the initial trip to research where they want to live, schools, work ect. is there a formula or plan of attack I should have. I have somewhat written out an itinerary for what I definitely want to get done. However, since this is my only trip before we finalize the sale of the house and move, I would appreciate any information or suggestions that would help me make THE MOST of this trip. I will not have the luxury to go back to the island before I move and will probably be making my real-estate decision from NJ. It is imperative that I make the most of every second that I am there. Also I had an idea to take along copies of my resume and would like to submit them to any places that have possible employment opportunities for my husband and me. (should I trash that idea or drop them off?) Thank you in advance for any suggestions, advice, or help you can give me.

WOW, ONE STEP CLOSER TO MY DREAM I AM SO EXCITED!

Lenny

Lenny

RE: Uncle Billy's Hotel? - JonP - 07-04-2006

Hi Lenny
Well, I'll tell you what we did...we were in much the same position except for the selling of a mainland home. We were there for a week and pretty much knew that we would make the decision one way or another based on what we accomplished.
So here's what we did;
We had been in communication with our Realtor (John Dirgo BTW) about our budget and what we were looking for, priorities, must haves, deal breakers, etc.
We had been to Puna before so we were a little further ahead in the game.
We drove around as many of the subdivisions as we possibly could. (By a map ahead of time and lay out an itinerary) We even checked out some that we were pretty sure we weren't interested in just to be sure. Then we went and met with John at his office and he printed us out a list from the MLS of every house on the market at that time that fit our parameters.
We spent that evening planning out our route, got up early and checked out each and every house. Some we could eliminate with a drive-by. Otherwise, we got out and walked around as much as we could, checked out the neighbors, etc. Take detailed notes as you go, don't wait until you are finished, they'll all blend together. Take notes that will help jog your memory.
We called John that night and gave him the list of what we had whittled it down to. A couple of days later he took us to all of those houses (5 I think) except one that had already gone under contract.
We took pictures, took notes, talked about what we thought, walked up and down the streets, all that.
In between the houses, we talked with John about his impressions to add a professional/local perspective.
We talked and talked and talked and pretty much came down to one we could afford and one that needed a lot of work.
After we had been home for a few weeks we finally called John and told him to make an offer on the house.
The procees from so far away was hectic at times but John kept our eyes on the task at hand and walked a couple of first timers through it all.
I don't know about the resume idea. I just know that we were there for a week and spent all of that time except one afternoon (at Kapoho hot ponds) on the house hunting.
Banyan Drive in Hilo is pretty much a half hour from Pahoa unless you're caught in commute traffic. Leilani is very close to Pahoa (5-10 minutes) as are Hwn. Beaches, Shores, etc. HPP is probably half way between Hilo and Pahoa.
HTH and best of luck.
Jon

RE: Uncle Billy's Hotel? - Andrew - 07-04-2006

Uncle Billy's is a basic no frills hotel but it does have a nice location on Hilo Bay and serves an OK breakfast. I'm not sure where in Puna you will be heading toward but the drive from Uncle Billy's to Keaau is about 8 miles along Hwy. 11. Pahoa is another 12 miles from Keaau along Hwy. 130 or Volcano Village is 22 miles from Keaau along Hwy. 11.

Regarding your resume: what work are you hoping to find? Also what goals exactly do you hope to achieve on your trip to East Hawaii?

RE: Uncle Billy's Hotel? - Carolann R - 07-04-2006

Aloha Lenny!

First thing you want to do is get a Ready Map Book from Borders at Prince Kuhio Plaza! What a great tool that was. It lays out all the subdivisions and other areas with great detail so you know where you are and can find your way around no problem. Just head south on Highway 11 out of Hilo...you will know the area in no time.

Well, we've already talked but I will break it down to what actually happened...I was on the Hawaii Information Service for about 8 months prior to our home-buying trip. I checked out homes in our price range and a little higher - you can always make an offer, right?

After the realtor incident we decided (as you have, I believe) to go with John Dirgo as well. We emailed back and forth the week before we left and I sent him some important things about what we were looking for. I also told him about a house we REALLY wanted to see...not the house we ended up with but beautiful as anything I have seen for sure.

Told him about my disabled mom and her need for mobility, wanted 3 beds, 2 baths and a nice yard area...we had decided that actually catchment would be great after researching that a bit (check out the search engine on the top of this page for water tanks).

The day after we got in we got up early before we knew we would get with John and we just drove around like crazy. We checked out HPP, Nanawale, Orchidland, Aloha Estates (not recommended by ME), and John was wonderful. He drove us everywhere and showed us so many homes that first day. He told us about trees that would be a danger to have in the area of your home - albizia trees, he knew about birds, beaches, activities...you name it! We actually put a bid in on a house the next day but then after we saw OUR home we decided to go that way. (We were lower on the bid for the first house than the owner wanted as well.) It worked out okay. We made an offer that day since we were aware of other buyers interested in it. The rest is history. We were so lucky to be able to visit with Lee & Ana Graves and also Nancy Fryhover. They're very warm and welcoming people!

I hope all goes well with you...if you get a chance please go to the Makuu Market on Sunday...it's an all-day thing and so much fun. Seems like the town really comes out for it! We checked-out different markets and prices for food, etc. Hilo is abundant with shops and food and lots to see. Hilo Bay was pretty to sit and take it in. We also drove over to Kona via the north route through Hamakua (Tex's for Malasadas).

We really have this forum to thank for our new path in life - we already knew about so much (ReadyMap, Lava Zones, Malasadas, Kehena Beach, Volcano, coqui, etc.) that we really just put a face on all of those things and got down to business!!

Good Luck on your home-hunting!

Aloha

Carrie

http://www.cafepress.com/dreamhawaii
http://www.hellophoenix.com/art

RE: Uncle Billy's Hotel? - lluberesm - 07-05-2006

Thank you John P. Sounds like what we will be doing. The research trip is basically for us to decide where we want to purchase a home. Unless we hit the jackpot and find the perfect home at the perfect price we will probably purchase the home after we come back to NJ. We have to sell here before we buy there. Sounds like things went as smoothly as possible for you. I hope my husband and I have the same luck.

Lenny

Aloha Andrew,

Thank you for the info on the hotel. I figured since we are traveling for business rather than pleasure we would save as much money as possible. I also figured that with this hotel I would probably have a bigger chance to interact with people other than tourist as well as get a small taste of real life in Hilo.

We are hoping that this trip allows us to find the right area to purchase a home and settle into. We would like to familiarize ourselves (as much as a week allows) with the different subdivisions in which to purchase a home and the driving distance to necessities, school, and possible work. We would also like to see some homes so that we can make a better decision from NJ when we are ready to buy. I would like to see the catchment water systems in person so that I can feel more comfortable with it than the information I've researched has made me so far. Also, since I have the worse sense of direction any person on earth can have I would like to do some of the driving around myself. That way I can see how well I will do on my own, until my husband comes over after we move.

When it comes to work I am not looking to get a job when I am there. However, I would like to check out the job market and possibly submit my resume to any prospective employers, even if they are not hiring at the time. My line of work is sales. I am a consultant for Verizon in the multilingual department. I have been working there for a little over 7 years. Prior to that I worked for 2 separate law firms as a legal secretary and went to school. I would actually prefer to find work outside of corporate, but, if I can find a position that allows us to live comfortably on the island than I really have no preference.

Lenny

Aloha Carrie,

Thank you for all the information Carrie, especially all the great tips. I will be sure to visit the market before time is up. We are early risers so I'm sure we will make the most of the time we are there to drive around. Did you drive around the neighborhoods at night? How where they? Any reason in particular you do not recommend Aloha Estates? I will be there from the 22nd to the 29th. I CAN'T WAIT! Thank you again for your good wishes.

Lenny

RE: Uncle Billy's Hotel? - Cindy V - 07-05-2006

Lenny

We researched and researched, hooked up with a realtor and even decided on the house we wanted to build about 4-5 months before our planned trip in Sept. Great realtor Victoria Mauck/Typically Tropical stuck with us and provided listings and data and more listings and data on all the subdivision questions we had. We had it narrowed down to Leilani Estates before we arrived and she kept us up to date listings before our arrival. We stayed on the Kona side only because we had friends staying there at the time. We arrived on a Friday, drove over to Pahoa and met Victoria on Sat. morning, she took us on an overview tour of Leilani then we looked at each and every lot that was verified still for sale (she called to make sure they were still listed). About 6 hours later we decided on 2 lots, went into town for lunch. Sunday we recieved a fax and signed our offer. Wed. morning we had a call it had been accepted!!!! We were back in November 2005 to meet with Big Island Pakcage homes to finalize our plans. We also interviewed several contractors, at that time we stayed at a B&B in Leilani to really get the feel for the area, love it, we stayed at a rented out when there in April to oversee the lot clearing, and will back in a couple of weeks and will also rent the same house in LE to walk through and finalize the interior framing of our home. It has all been a very exciting venture. We have listed our home in CA (about 4 weeks now) and are still waiting, the market here is soft, so it will take longer. I am not sending my reume out until we are moved and settled. I have heard good things about Uncle Billy's from friends who have stayed there, one told me they have the best Mai Tais on the Island, and that came from someone who evedently tasted them all. although I understand John Rabi has a recipe for the best.

Enjoy you adventure. You have an easy drive to Puna.

Keep us posted on what you do decide.

Aloha
Cindy

RE: Uncle Billy's Hotel? - Carolann R - 07-05-2006

Well Lenny, I had been looking at a couple of houses in Aloha Estates for sometime. They NEVER look the same as the photos you see. We drove out there and it actually was further from Pahoa than we really wanted to be and a ways up the mountain...very, very pretty there though. We ended up talking to one very reluctant man who said the house had sold and then while looking at another house not far from there a truck with a couple of local guys drove by and watched us - VERY SLOWLY - I can't tell you what creeped me out, but I was really creeped! I mean chicken-skin creeped! The feeling did not subside until we made our way back to Ke'eau. A friend was surprised that we were looking there and joked about it being referred to as "No Aloha Estates." Now, mind you - this is just OUR experience. I can't speak for anyone else (and wouldn't). I believe in intuition and mine was saying "get away from here."

Cindy - I've heard great things about Victoria Mauck. John Rabi had her contact me but we were already bonding with John Dirgo LOL!!

Carrie

http://www.cafepress.com/dreamhawaii
http://www.hellophoenix.com/art

RE: Uncle Billy's Hotel? - John S. Rabi - 07-05-2006

Cindy, I drove by your lot last weekend, the concrete blocks are still there. Smile It sure is great to hear good things about Victoria Mauck. No wonder she works for me! Smile

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, ABR,CM,CRB,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
75-5870 Walua Road, Suite 101
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
(808)327-3185