Punaweb Forum
Cannabis Compassion club/coop for Puna - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Cannabis Compassion club/coop for Puna (/showthread.php?tid=5088)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Cannabis Compassion club/coop for Puna - Beachboy - 01-26-2009

Is Puna ready for one? Personally, as a Card holder, I say yes,and I'm willing to help put it in motion too. Our Gov. Linda Dingle(berrie) has left many grey areas for Medical cannabis card holders in the 50th state. By not coming through with her political promise to address these grey areas, we are now faced with only one option. I think we need to move forward in being able to supply medical marijuana patients of Puna & Hilo with or without the support of Gov. Dingle(berrie). Why should they have to go to some seedy part of Hilo, or where ever to find their meds. Is it fair? Not by a long shot!

One thing people here who oppose the use and advancement of medical cannabis need to be educated on it a bit more. Unfortunately our cannabis laws basically haven't been revised since 1971 or so. Lawmakers are going by outdated studies from the early 70's,and I believe Big Island lawmakers are no different!

Medical cannabis does work. It's a very inexpensive way to treat pain ailments that your body has. This alone is a big treat to pharmaceutical companies worldwide! These same companies throw millions of dollars to try to make sure cannabis never sees the light of day in medical environment. It's one part of the Gov's way of blocking the truth. Another is that the Gov. allows so much research annually on Medical cannabis, but it is dominated by DEA backed groups that have no agenda other than to make sure the truth is kept under raps. But our day is coming soon! I mean does anybody out there truly believe the BS videos the DEA/our Gov. try to show the public?

My question to you is. Would you support a cannabis compassion club in Puna to help the medically ill in our community? Make no mistakes, this coop would run within the boundaries set up for coops in other parts of the country, Meaning no minors allowed, nor people without their medical cards.

I'd like your thoughts, because I'm thinking of putting myself on "front street", to make this work for the people ill in our community.

If you support the idea of a cannabis club for the people of Puna & Hilo,and wanna support this idea getting off the ground. Please PM me with your ideas, and what you can bring to the table.

This is 2009, it's been a long time coming. But it's time we support the idea of one of these clubs to keep people from illegally buying cannabis and getting arrested for it just to ease their pain!

mahalo for you views & support

-----------

Let's get together and over grow the government!!!!

RE: Cannabis Compassion club/coop for Puna - Jon - 01-26-2009

Surprise...

Nope I would not support it.
Now if you go get a license to sell dope from the state of Hawaii and donate 50% of proceeds to drug rehab... I might just change my tune...

-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
HBAT

RE: Cannabis Compassion club/coop for Puna - Bullwinkle - 01-26-2009

Not only would I support the creation of a co-op - you may have hit upon a good way to launch the local currency.

Peg the script to an ounce of pot and print cannabis dollars redeemable at the dispensary

I'll take em for small engine / genset repair and home made dog food.

who needs the fed!

Seriously although me thinks the islands socially ready, the current law would need some modifications to allow the California dispensary model to work here.

Although once modified, sales being taxed, most likely would solve our budget deficits.

RE: Cannabis Compassion club/coop for Puna - fastech - 01-26-2009

Count me in. As long as we aren't doing anything illegal.[Smile]

RE: Cannabis Compassion club/coop for Puna - Guest - 01-26-2009

sounds like cccp and that can't be good.

RE: Cannabis Compassion club/coop for Puna - leilaniguy - 01-26-2009

Well,the people I know with permits are growing their own or having it grown by a registered caregiver. In my neck of the woods you don't have to go more than a few hundred feet from home to buy pot.

RE: Cannabis Compassion club/coop for Puna - LeeE - 01-26-2009

While dispensaries would be great to have here, be sure to get legal advice from lawyers and advocacy groups who know this issue.

Compassion Centers in CA. communities like Santa Cruz, S.F., ect., operate with the support of local government. That would be a big consideration, imho. Our law isn't identical to Prop 215, so not sure if legal protection would be there.

In a small place like Hawaii compassion centers would be easy targets for da bad guys with and without badges.

In a more intelligent world, we'd have compassion clubs and coffee shops here in Hawaii. A great idea, but go slow and do yer homework, imho.

Love to see it though.

Perhaps the Obama administration will make good on their promise to end federal repression of the medical cannabis issue on the state level?

RE: Cannabis Compassion club/coop for Puna - Beachboy - 01-26-2009

Not only does California have these passion clubs, Colorado does too. But the difference between Colorado & California? Not one passion club in Colorado has been raided by the feds! So why is Colorado under the radar, and why can't Hawaii do the same? I understand the legal aspect of it. Knowing that it has to start somewhere, I 'm not gonna be an apathetic supporter. I'm gonna take a pro active position on this matter. I would hope the community of Puna that are medical cannabis patients would support, and even get involved to bring this to reality.

On a sad note the first Cannabis Club to get raided under the new Obama Administration happened today in Northern Califronia. Mr. President, I plan to hold you to your pre-elected rhetoric about stopping Cannabis clubs being raided by the feds! Today's actions by the DEA in the Pacific Northwest needs to be addressed by you!!!!

-----------

Let's get together and over grow the government!!!!

RE: Cannabis Compassion club/coop for Puna - james weatherford - 01-26-2009

Some darned well considered points here ...

quote:
Originally posted by LeeE

...be sure to get legal advice from lawyers and advocacy groups who know this issue.

... bad guys with and without badges.

... do yer homework

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park

RE: Cannabis Compassion club/coop for Puna - rasman - 01-27-2009

I think a co-op is a great way for needy patients to receive quality assured, safe medicine. One of the biggest cons to medical cannabis as stipulated by many doctors is that a patient may not know what they're getting in terms of quality, safety and consistency. A co-op could easily address these issues. However as James pointed out, security is a major issue, and without some sort of police or legal protection, the situation could turn vigilante and violent. But this is not the patients fault, it is the responsibility of the State to ensure the safety of it's registered patients, which it has failed to do thus far.

As for Jon's comments: "now if you could get a license to sell dope from the state of Hawaii and donate 50% of proceeds to drug rehab....i might just change my tune..."

Well Jon perhaps you should consider the fact that cannabis is over a 1 billion dollar a year business that is typically tax free. However many of the legal dispensaries there pay anywhere from a quarter to a half a million in just state taxes alone from generated revenue. What happens to that money is up to the state. They could surely you it for rehabs or better yet youth education and prevention programs. Also, a quick question for you Jon: How much money do you suppose the methadone and morphine industry donate to heroin rehabs, 50%, 20%, 0% ?