Punaweb Forum
Mail Delivery - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Mail Delivery (/showthread.php?tid=5091)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Mail Delivery - Laughing_girl - 01-31-2009

When the masses in Puna whine Puna residents lament having PO boxes instead of street delivery - check out this article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28897426/?GT1=43001

RE: Mail Delivery - JerryCarr - 01-31-2009

Yes, they are considering cutting back a day. The reason so many complain in Puna is that they don't do home delivery AT ALL in most locations. Big difference between one day a week less and having to drive to town to get your mail every time. And there's generally a waiting list for a box at the post office.

Cheers,
Jerry

RE: Mail Delivery - kani-lehua - 01-31-2009

yep. the waiting list is at least 1 year as told to us by the mountain view and kurtistown post offices.

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

RE: Mail Delivery - Sean - 01-31-2009

Laughing girl, I think there's some info that you're missing. I was given the choice of general delivery Keaau, which means waiting in line at the post office, or paying for a PO box up at Volcano where I work. I'm on the waiting list for a PO box down here in HPP, but until then I can get my mail typically M-F when I'm at work.

So, I guess I'll keep on complaining that I'm not being properly served by the US Postal Service. I know plenty of people in rural areas that get mail delivered. Upstate New York farm areas get their mail delivered, ranchers in the middle of nowhere Hammil Valley, CA can get there mail delivered, but I can't even get a PO box near where I live. I was told by one USPS employee that the good folks on the Kona side who complained to their congressman got PO boxes installed, perhaps if enough of us complain or whine over here we too can get PO boxes installed.

Cheers,

Sean

Hmmm Since I get mail during the work week, can I say that effectively my mail is "delivered" 5 days a week?

RE: Mail Delivery - Seeb - 01-31-2009

I think the idea solution would be for HPP to get it's own post office. it would clear the back log in pahoa and keaau. and the people in hpp wouldn't have to take a 30min round trip to get there mail.

RE: Mail Delivery - Carey - 01-31-2009

One of the big problems with the east side mail delivery is that when most of the east side (and some of the west & south end) subdivisions where planned out in the '50's, they were private subdivisions with private roads.

Most farmers & ranchers have there homes & get their mail delivered on PUBLIC roads. The post office delivers on publicly maintained roads, not privately maintained roads.

When the US Post Office installs Highway Contract Route (HCR) boxes in private subdivisions, the HOA's are to maintain them... That is often not done here.... mostly because none of the HOA's have any rules or regulations in place for this (and many have no way to collect maintenance fees for anything other than road work, & most HOA's here cannot even get the road money from all of the landowners......

SOOO the USPS has reduced all of the maintenance work on the boxes (some may have noticed this....) & is no has no plans to install more HCRs that have no maintenance....

If you live in an area without publicly maintained roads, home delivery of your mail is probably not gonna happen.
If you live in an area with unmaintained HCR's..... you may not have as many options as before....
If you think that Postal cutbacks will not effect you because you do not have home delivery???? the delivery schedule changes may not matter to you, but other cutbacks will be felt by everyone...esp. if you are waiting for a mail box close to home to become available

RE: Mail Delivery - Guest - 01-31-2009

I live less then a mile from the downtown Pahoa Post office and the mail doesn't come to our culdesac that has been in place before statehood!

Damon Tucker's Weblog

RE: Mail Delivery - Jon - 01-31-2009

Damon, we already know the postmaster does not like you.

-----------------------------------------------------------
I do not believe that America is better than everybody else...
America "IS" everybody else.
HBAT

RE: Mail Delivery - Erlinda - 02-01-2009

Please be careful what you wish for. I could have home delivery here in the heart of Silicon Valley in CA, but don't. Why? Important mail was being ripped off from the mailbox on my front porch. And I have plenty of neighbors close by! I have a Post Office box now and would never go back.

RE: Mail Delivery - Chuysmom - 02-02-2009

Another plus for Hawaiian Shores Recreational Estates - we get mail delivery!

Carrie Rojo

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek." Barack Obama