Punaweb Forum
Hapuna Beach Hotel - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hapuna Beach Hotel (/showthread.php?tid=5118)

Pages: 1 2

Hapuna Beach Hotel - macuu222 - 02-04-2009

Went to Hapuna Beach last Friday. It was beautiful. We walked along the beach and decided to walk up to the Hapuna Beach Hotel that borders the beach for a beer since alchohol isn't allowed on the beach. We knew it would be expensive there...but what we didn't realize was how expensive. We ordered 2 bud lights and they delivered them in "cans" for $7.00 a piece plus 15% gratuitiy automatically added to the bill for a total of $15.50!

I don't know if its just me...but I thought it was overpriced even for a oceanside hotel. I know I'll never go there again. I thought hotels were hurting and encouraging locals to visit them with lower prices?

RE: Hapuna Beach Hotel - missydog1 - 02-04-2009

Lower ROOM rates.

The food and beverage is what it is and always has been, exorbitant, and priced for people who are staying there and will pay for the convenience of what's offered on site.

You're buying a ticket to enjoy the view.
You'll pay about the same at any of the resorts, with the Marriott the most affordable. But since the Marriott moved it's beach bar up to the main hotel, it's no longer worth it.

I have to say that Bud Light is a waste of money ... at least get a Fire Rock or Longboard Lager and get some alcohol and flavor at those prices!

It may be a recession, but Brown's Beach House at the Fairmont still costs circa $45 an entree for dinner, a la carte.

When we first moved here we lived on the west side and would occasionally go to the hotel bars for a treat, like a little mini-mini vacation, and in order to use the hotel parking and access. Those days are over ...

RE: Hapuna Beach Hotel - greywolf74 - 02-04-2009

obviously they are not hurting bad enough. You could have bought a six pack for that. Good for you for not going there again. Too bad so many tourists pay the prices, that only allows them to continue gouging everyone. Kamaaina?? Yeah, right!

RE: Hapuna Beach Hotel - missydog1 - 02-04-2009

Don't kid yourselves, the Kohala hotels are not interested in having residents bring down the "look" of their resorts. However, if you can get a cheap room, the smart thing is to go eat somewhere else, like Kawaihae shopping center or go up to Hawi.

My son, who worked in the restaurant business a long time, says that alcohol is where any restaurant makes its money. Food is almost a break even proposition. So when they are losing money on rooms, don't expect them to slash the price of alcohol; that's their chance to recoup ...

I'm not a fan of the hotels or anything, but to expect them to be anything than what they are, operations attracting tourists, is unrealistic. Besides which they employ a lot of people and contribute to our economy.

RE: Hapuna Beach Hotel - Guest - 02-04-2009

I hope Former Council Candidate Timkona will weigh in here on how he got a "Rum and COKE" at a PEPSI promo at the Waikoloa!

It's got to be the funniest story in the world... but only he could say it the right way.

Damon Tucker's Weblog

RE: Hapuna Beach Hotel - macuu222 - 02-04-2009

Actually that would almost buy a case if it was on sale!

RE: Hapuna Beach Hotel - Greg - 02-04-2009

You can always tell the locals at the Kohala resorts by the large coolers they carry in! That's what I do, no shame.

RE: Hapuna Beach Hotel - Guest - 02-04-2009

Greg -

You know their local when the rice cooker is on top of the cooler when they are coming in.

I used to spend about a week each year at the Waikoloa. Talk about stocking up on supplies before you even get to the hotel.

The real killer at most of these Ritz hotels... is that concierge bar in your room where a freaking shot of alcohol will run you $6.00 - $8.00 bucks depending on the Drink. (And don't forget the $2.00 candy bars and the $3.00 packs of coffee).

The worst catch at the Waikoloa... especially if you have kids or a dolphin lover... is they have this stuffed dolphin in your room that you are welcome to take home with you after your visit...Of course this dolphin costs between $25-$35 bucks and once your kid has been playing with it during the stay... it's hard to leave it behind!

Damon Tucker's Weblog

RE: Hapuna Beach Hotel - Laughing_girl - 02-04-2009

We are going to Hapuna Beach Hotel on Friday (although I like the Mauna Kea's architecture better). The room rate is $159 plus $20 for two for the breakfast buffet at the restaurant on the beach. (of course we are only staying one night and meeting all our family on the beach on Saturday!)

Yes we are Punatics but at least my ice chest looks like luggage so we can sneak it in without alerting the staff to our Punatic status immediately. I pick up a small pupu platter at Safeway or maybe Foodland in Waimea and we are good to go.

We go to dinner in Kawaihae and go hear music there also, have a drink and no drive home. Cant beat it for a mini vacation and no airport wait.

The Batik at the MKBH is no more expensive than any good high end restaurant in LA or SF. Just dont order the Louie as an after dinner brandy!

RE: Hapuna Beach Hotel - Johnnycake - 02-04-2009

You think that's bad...we went for a weekend getaway with the family to the Hilton Waikoloa. They had some decent Kamaaina room rates, which by the way the rooms where nothing special..anyhow we went to one of the various bars they have around the joint and my partner and I each had a Martini..yes it was a choice vodka. When we got the bill for the two drinks it was $46.00!!! with out tip![Sad!] I nearly chocked on that martini.