Punaweb Forum
HPH -Free Spay & Neuter for Feral Cats - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: HPH -Free Spay & Neuter for Feral Cats (/showthread.php?tid=5388)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

HPH -Free Spay & Neuter for Feral Cats - waipili - 03-17-2009

Aloha Animal lovers,
Hui Pono Holoholona is a 501 c 3 non-profit animal organization dedicated in decreasing animal overpopulation humanely, is offering free spay and neuter for feral cats. If you are a care giver of any feral cat colony, please contact me ASAP "Frannie", at 968-8279.
HPH, supports Trap-Neuter-Return-Manage of cat colonies. If you are feeding a feral cat colony, HPH wants to help you get them spay and neutered. Best & Humane way to stop kittens births!
Included in the free surgery is - Antibotic, and 1st Vacination.
If you don't know how to use a trap or need to borrow one for our free S/N program, HPH will teach and/or loan one to you.
***We are in need of a 8 or 10 quart or larger pressure cooker. If you have traps to donate, please kokua and call and donate. Mahalo, frannie pueo, 968-8279.

Protect Animals Rights:Kindness, Love & Respect

RE: HPH -Free Spay & Neuter for Feral Cats - waipili - 03-20-2009

To find more about Hui Pono Holoholona, we have brocheres about us at various places, Dels, Hilo Veterinary Clinic, Kilauea Veterinary Services, Mirandas, etc. If you see anyone taking care of feral cat colonies, please pass along my phone number, so we can help them out-. To fund what we do, we do yard sales, so if you are cleaning out your home, and have stuff for our yard sale,call 968-8279.

Protect Animals Rights:Kindness, Love & Respect

RE: HPH -Free Spay & Neuter for Feral Cats - JWFITZ - 03-20-2009

Where do you release those cats when you're done?

RE: HPH -Free Spay & Neuter for Feral Cats - gtill - 03-20-2009

Especially with the latest reports of Hawaii being confirmed as loosing nearly all it's bird species via national media!

RE: HPH -Free Spay & Neuter for Feral Cats - PaulW - 03-20-2009

Re-releasing the neutered cats in the same location cuts down on kitten births (as stated) and helps control the cat population. If you just kill them then other cats will just move in. The idea is to have an ever-increasing proportion of the feral cat population unable to breed.

RE: HPH -Free Spay & Neuter for Feral Cats - Guest - 03-20-2009

Would not euthanizing them be ultimately better?

Better for birds.
Also a neutered male cat will get slaughtered by a big tom cat that is jacked up on testosterone.
While well intended, it is just a cruel feel good project.

RE: HPH -Free Spay & Neuter for Feral Cats - Guest - 03-20-2009

quote:
Originally posted by PaulW

Re-releasing the neutered cats in the same location cuts down on kitten births (as stated) and helps control the cat population. If you just kill them then other cats will just move in. The idea is to have an ever-increasing proportion of the feral cat population unable to breed.

Well then you are just delaying the inevitable.
Would not the cats comeback after the neutered ones dies of natural causes?

It seems to me that a bounty on them will give the most positive and long term results.

It wouldn't be better. Cats are territorial; better to have territory occupied by neutered cats than non-neutered ones.

Best of all would be to capture and kill all feral cats but it's just not feasible.

RE: HPH -Free Spay & Neuter for Feral Cats - JWFITZ - 03-20-2009

I've lost a dozen chickens to cats dumped out here on my road. Who is liable for that?

The irresponsible people who let cats breed without having them neutered as soon as possible.