Punaweb Forum
Puna novice - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Puna novice (/showthread.php?tid=5396)

Pages: 1 2 3

Puna novice - philipkdick1 - 05-14-2009

Greetings!

I hope I am not intruding here...

My wife & I will be staying at a vacation rental in Kapoho Beach Lots for 10 days very, very soon.

We chose the Puna area because it seems to be fairly "remote" and "off the radar", so to speak, and that is generally what we prefer...

(Our favorite place in England is Lynton/Lynmouth, way up on the north coast of Devon in the southwest... small towns, remote, beautiful.)

It's our first time to the islands and we want to make sure we "fit in" as much as possible.

From reading here on the forum, it seems like it is a good idea to leave the rental car unlocked & not leave items in the car when parked - any other such "safety" suggestions personal and otherwise we should be aware of?

We always make every effort to travel in a very low-key , quiet-but-aware, respectful manner, and try to take our "cues" from the locals we meet. We really don't want to be perceived as loud, self-involved, selfish, self-centered, noisy tourists because that's not who we are at home (Seattle).

We're much more interested in natural beauty and local flavor.

So anyway, hopefully you get the idea.

Any caveats, suggestions, etc. would be most welcome.

Thanks very much!

RE: Puna novice - Rob Tucker - 05-14-2009

I think you are off to a good start and your approach seems smart and respectful. I have always been amazed when traveling in rather poor countries to see tourists carrying about their displays of jewelry, rolexes, camera equipment and then wondering why their stuff got snatched.

On my first visit here I watched and interesting and quiet event take place at Punaluu. There was a tourist car parked with a couple watching the ocean. A small group of local men walked toward them on the beach. They were large and they were brown. As I watched the tourist car's windows went up and the locks went down. The men passed and not a word was spoken. I came away with the feeling that the tourist would return to where ever and sya the locals were unfriendly.

Best approach is to do what does not happen on the mainland. Look at people straight on. Say Hi or Aloha. Recognize their presence and be nice. It works. Assume the best. You can find yourself in some very interesting conversations.

Best wishes and welcome to Punaweb.

Punaweb moderator

RE: Puna novice - mella l - 05-14-2009

Well welcome and I'm sure you'll get lots of responses. Having just returned from a 3 week visit, I put a Love is the Answer sticker on the front windshield to cover the R for rental! LOL

I also keep a current newspaper classifieds section in the passenger or back seat of the car, want ads and job seekers and cars for sale stuff, and a pair of really worn slippahs. Took the rattiest beach towel to the beach!

You will find much natural beauty to enjoy and local favor and if you hang out at a Sunday morning Maku'u market you have fun there also.

Enjoy the snorkeling at the Beach Lots~~Sounds to me like you will fit in just fine so no worries then!

mella l

RE: Puna novice - PaulW - 05-14-2009

Welcome to Punaweb! You've picked the right place, Puna is a great area for a holiday.

As with many places in the world, car break-ins are a problem. Of course don't leave any valuables in the car. Some also suggest leaving the car unlocked so windows don't get broken but I've never had a problem with that.

Be careful at your rental as well, hide any valuables and make sure you lock up.

If you go swimming somewhere, don't leave your car keys with your stuff, you may lose them and your car.

I know this makes it sound like a high-crime area but it's not and I'm sure you won't have any problems. We'd have even less of a problem if everyone made it harder for the crooks.

RE: Puna novice - mdd7000 - 05-14-2009

Most property crimes are considered by police to be "crimes of opportunity" which means that the criminal didn't intend to do the crime, but was enticed into doing it because it seemed so easy.

RE: Puna novice - David Shaw - 05-14-2009

Aloha electric sheep fan:
dunno why you picked Beach Lots for your stay, but just wanted to alert you that a little farther down the red road is Kapoho Kai. Make the left turn and follow the road till it deadends, turn left and you will end up at the 'parking area' for the wonderful Wai 'Opae tidepools, less crowded (except on weekends in nice weather, that is), lots of beautiful corals and many fish varieties to see. Head out to the far right near the rusted chainlink fence and get in there, swim over the 'hump'very close to the get-in spot and begin exploring. If you are adventurous there are several journeys up washes that will take you to a series of ponds each more wondrous than the last.
Also nearby and worth a visit (but be especially cautious w. car keys) is the Ahalanui Hot Ponds just a bit farther up the red road. Continue on and you will end up at Pohoiki State Park which is good for people watching, picnicking, swimming.
Enjoy your stay. (our house info at vrbo.com/79299)

-dwajs

RE: Puna novice - TheodoreJay - 05-14-2009

Dear Philip: Kapoho and tide pool area is pretty tourist friendly. You'll find groceries a short drive to Malama Mart just north of Pahoa and lots of good restaurants there. Don't hang out in Pahoa really late cause fights sometimes break out really late.

If you are walking along the roads at all in Kapoho I'd have a wack stick or umberella to ward off the occasional stray or nasty dog or I like to throw rocks at mean dogs.

Def. if you decide the water is safe to snorkel or soak at hot ponds keep close eye on your keys (prolly put car key on chain around your neck) cause there's been allot of car theft over there. Don't soak in any hot ponds if you have even minor skin abrasions or open cuts (not worth your health).

Yep if you are headed out for the day bring as little as possible in the car and hide all items from direct view if you must bring them and lock the doors. BTW I like to head to Walmart first off and have a second car key made and wear it around my neck cause getting locked out of the car is a major pain.

If you get "stink eye" from anyone just back away peacefully (not worth ruining your vacation over).

You'll find allot of local pick-up truck drivers like to drive really fast so def. pull over and just let them go by.

Pay attention to the safety and warning signs at the Kalapana lava viewing area. Technically you must stay within the designated area or the county could penalize you a hefty amount.

I'm thinking you'll have a great time, if you use normal caution and logic.
Right behind you, my fifth time back to Puna starting May 20 !!!!

Aloha, TheodoreJay

RE: Puna novice - csgray - 05-14-2009

My philosophy in terms of avoiding property crime is "Don't tempt the weak". It has worked well for me all over the country, including here in Hawaii.

Carol

RE: Puna novice - Greg - 05-14-2009

A Scanner Darkely? Cool!

punatoons

RE: Puna novice - Chuysmom - 05-14-2009

Well you now have all the things you need to be careful of...

now enjoy.

It's beautiful in Kapoho...if I could afford to own a house there I would. You will be in the "sunbelt" so it's usually warmer there and swimming is wonderful. Ask the locals for a good spot. The Plumerias are huge down there and the tide pools in front of many of the homes are lovely too.

The hotponds can be precarious if you have cuts or sores. If you are sure you must, then check out the champagne pond in Kapoho where you will be staying...there are always large honu (turtles) resting there.

Check out Akaka Falls - it's a nice hike (not to mention the drive up the highway north is gorgeous). Honomu is a darling little town in that area with an amazing bakery.

Further up the highway you can reach Waipio Valley (gobsmackingly pretty) and the cute town of Honoka'a just before you get to the Valley. (Don't miss out on Tex's drive inn on the way for Malasadas...a real treat!)

There are too many beautiful spots on this island to mention. Hope you make an effort to see them all!!! [:X]

Carrie Rojo

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek." Barack Obama