Punaweb Forum
Mangos favorite way to serve - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Mangos favorite way to serve (/showthread.php?tid=5462)

Pages: 1 2

Mangos favorite way to serve - mella l - 05-16-2009

We have just received some of the nicest Mangos I've ever held.

Just wondering what is your favorite way to eat mangos! Mahalos plenty!

mella l

RE: Mangos favorite way to serve - Devany - 05-16-2009

Mella,

I love to eat them raw more than anything, but when I have a LOT of them I make Mango Sorbet. Also Mango Salsa is a favorite on chicken or fish.

I am sooooooo waiting for mango season to be in full swing again. You can bet when it is, that there will be lots of posts about my favorite ways to use them.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com

RE: Mangos favorite way to serve - Chuysmom - 05-16-2009

Well Mella...After they are really cold in the fridge, I cut one half off the pit, then stand over the sink and slurp it down...then cut off the other half and slurp. Finally, the best part is slobbering the pit until it's all cleaned up! LOL - you asked what's my favorite way...must have paper towels or washcloth![:X][:X]

Carrie Rojo

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com

"Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek." Barack Obama

RE: Mangos favorite way to serve - mella l - 05-16-2009

Thanks you guys! Yes it is chilling and I did eat the ends over the sink first! LOL

Remember when Wyatt, our dear Richard I mean was looking for a mango pitter? He found his and well my sis bought me one and I used it for the first time today. Wow they work grand. After taking the pit out I scored the fruit in each half like you would an avo and then scooped out the yummy parts.

The sorbet sound soo good to.

I'm wondering if putting a bit of lemon juice over like one would do papaya would be a good thing.

mella l

RE: Mangos favorite way to serve - Samdooby - 05-16-2009

I love making mango lassis...

OR

Dice it up and toss it w/ lime and chili powder...
Nice tangy treat...

RE: Mangos favorite way to serve - Carey - 05-16-2009

Mango & vanilla ice cream, mango margarita, mango milk shake, mango raw, mango & bilimbi fruit salad, mango & angel food cake, mango & ling hing mui powder, mango & pound cake, mango salsa on chicken or fish (DH says "mango good!")

RE: Mangos favorite way to serve - allensylves - 05-16-2009

Thai sticky rice and mango (khao neow mamuang). I used to pay the house girls to buy it and bring it to me.

Allen
Baton Rouge, LA & HPP

RE: Mangos favorite way to serve - mella l - 05-17-2009

Well that all sounds lovely! Think the Ling hing mui and mango, mango rum upside down cake! The mango and lemon cake and the thai sticy rice and the mango sink slurp are the way to go this time. Next time I'll do the mango chutney over grilled fishes. Mahalos plenty you all.

mella l

RE: Mangos favorite way to serve - Devany - 05-17-2009

Mella,

You were asking if lemon would work on the mango. Sure. But I prefer lime on fruit. Calamasi (sp?) limes are my favorite. I almost always have a bowl of them on the counter to squeeze into drinks & over papayas/mangoes. I really think it makes the sweet flavor pop. And a little chili and salt on top is good too, but I really just love them on their own most of the time.

There are a couple of really good Mango cookbooks out there if you have an abundance and want to use them in different ways. Check out the Little Mango and Papaya Book, Mangoes, Mangoes, Mangoes Recipes and Art from Hawaii, The Mongo Mango Book and our Island's own, Sonia Martinez's Tropical Taste (self published, but available @ Amazon).

I like dehydrating slices of them too. If you do that, you can slip them into a bath of a little citric acid and water or fruit fresh so that they remain brightly colored.

Mango Mousse is lovely and you can also make the most wonderful popsicles by putting the fruit from 3 or more mangoes an a bit of ginger simple syrup in a food processor, then poured into molds.

Of course there is always Mango Chutney which can be made in a variety of ways, sweet, hot or savory. You can make the kind that keeps in the refrigerator, or can it.

You can take a cup of chopped mango, a tablespoon of lime juice, 3 tablespoons of brown sugar and sauté for 2 minutes, then add 1/4 cup of brandy, stir over heat briefly then FLAMBE at table-side and pour over ice cream, crepes or angel food cake.

Note: You can generally find cases of mangoes at Hispanic and Indian grocery stores for less than $10 on the mainland (lucky you). Here... no such thing as Hispanic or Indian groceries of course.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com

RE: Mangos favorite way to serve - Guest - 05-17-2009

Pickled

---------
Damon Tucker's Blog
FBI Blogs