Punaweb Forum
what is the deal with the mail situation here?? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: what is the deal with the mail situation here?? (/showthread.php?tid=561)

Pages: 1 2

what is the deal with the mail situation here?? - mrmustng - 07-29-2006

Hello, I recently moved here,and to my dismay I found out the hard way that I cannot get a PO box at any of the post offices for at least 8 months to a year.So now I am at a loss to get6 some of my bills, because they do not send to General Delivery in MT view...what a crock this is...any thoughts or input would be appreciated. Aloha.

Coz

RE: what is the deal with the mail situation here?? - mella l - 07-29-2006

Hey Coz, We too will be living in Mt. View, but have a PO Box in Hilo to visit perhaps twice a week. The list looked long but we got a box in about 3 weeks or so. I do believe the Mt. View list is about a year long but that is just what I hear, haven't checked it out my self yet. Aloha Mella

mella l

RE: what is the deal with the mail situation here?? - Robin C - 07-29-2006

Hi, Coz.

We faced the same problem in Volcano.
For companies that would not accept just "General Delivery" we gave them our address with both our street address and general delivery:

Joe Smith
19-1111 6th Street
General Delivery
Volcano, HI 96785

The post office reads from the bottom up, so you receive your mail in general delivery. The company is happy because they have a street address.

Also, we found that after the postal employees got to know us our post office kept things as general delivery even if the mail just had our street address. I went in every day to make sure they knew who I was and they have been very accomodating.

Robin

RE: what is the deal with the mail situation here?? - Royall - 07-29-2006

Cathie and I have been here sense last September and have been getting our mail General Delivery Kea'au. They told us up front that it would take a year or more to get a box. We even had the Postmaster at our old Post office call and get us on the list before we got over here. They keep telling us "real soon bra"!

Royall

What goes around comes around!

RE: what is the deal with the mail situation here?? - 1 STOP MAIL SHOP - 07-29-2006

Aloha Coz,
Welcome to Hawaii! Im very shocked to see nobody has informed you of the new mailbox rental store in Pahoa 1 Stop Mail Shop. Its much easier to drive to Pahoa then Hilo. You will be waiting for a PO Box in Mt View for over 1 year. We are across from 7-11 in Pahoa Village. Please call us at 965-1111 for any questions. We will be open this sunday if you would like to come and check us out.
Aloha

Attn Royall,
Kea'au is not to far from Pahoa, how come you would not like to open a box with us at 1 Stop Mail Shop? You get a personal street address, not a po box.....You can recieve packages from all mail carriers.

Kevin Costello & Meghan Wobles

RE: what is the deal with the mail situation here?? - G. Leis - 07-29-2006

Hi Kevin,

As regular members of this forum know, NOBODY has beat the drum for more PO Boxes than moi . . . be they USPS, UPS Store, Mail Boxes Etc, Post Net or independent businesses like yours.

However, not everyone wants to drive 20 miles one-way to pick up mail at a premium priced private facility if there is any viable alternative - and after all he OP stated he was in Mtn. View.

You are going to do fine in your new enterprise, but don't try to be all things to all people and please don't take offense if closer-in options are suggested.

aloha,
Gene

RE: what is the deal with the mail situation here?? - loffelkopffl - 07-31-2006

they DO have general delivery at Mt. View post office

RE: what is the deal with the mail situation here?? - loffelkopffl - 07-31-2006

oopps just realized you were talking about the sender not sending to GD

RE: what is the deal with the mail situation here?? - Les C - 07-31-2006

When we applied for a PO box (Volcano, granted, a relatively small community), we were told that it might take 6 mo. We got one in 3 mo. Sometimes the hardest thing for us to remember is that we're not on the mainland anymore and we should take a deep breath and relax.

Having said that, it is aggravating to not be able to have your billing sent somewhere. Before we moved in to our neighborhood, I was able to use my uncle's PO Box (Mtn View, coincidentally) and a friend's business in Kea'au. Lacking any friends in Mtn View who can help you out, it might be a good idea to try Kevin's shop in Pahoa. It's not close, but any port in a storm....

After we moved in, we had no trouble having our bills sent to General Delivery. This includes credit cards, bank, utilities, insurance, etc. And Robin C's advice on how to format your mailing address is good. I used that for post office deliveries that might not like the General Delivery appellation.

Les C

RE: what is the deal with the mail situation here?? - lkrider - 07-31-2006

Hi,

FYI on my experiences with getting a PO Box. Since I had heard it took a long time, I applied for boxes in both Pahoa and Kea'au- my local Post Office in Steamboat certified the paperwork ID for me. Pahoa called me with a box in less than two months, then were kind enough to hold it for me till my teaching assignment there was confirmed. Still have not heard from Kea'au PO, but I took the Pahoa one since that's where I work. And the pool is sweet BTW!

Linda in HI