Punaweb Forum
Moving forward: The Digital Era on the Big Island - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Moving forward: The Digital Era on the Big Island (/showthread.php?tid=5638)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Moving forward: The Digital Era on the Big Island - Guest - 05-09-2009

Anyone want to discuss moving forward on the Big Island in this new "Digital" world that scares many people on the Big Island?

If we don't start adapting to things in the real world... we will continue to be behind.

Is this what we want?

Had a conversation about putting children's pictures on my blog... with a few people... obviously people are freaked out on the net here on this Island.

Today... ended up signing an agreement as a parent with Kamehameha Schools that our kids beginning at Kindergarten would be on on the internet... don't like it... Tell us now... and your child won't be accepted.

Now you tell me... looking at almost $200,000 in money paid towards my son's education through Kam Schools in the next 13 years and I'm gonna tell them... "No...don't put my son's picture on the internet"

Well needless to say I signed my son up.

Do we continue to hold back on the big island?

What is feared by technology?

I don't understand why so many fear the internet... and this INCLUDES OUR OWN GOVERNMENT here on the Big Island.

Let's get real... anyone want to start a dialog on the digital revolution that we are going through on the Big Island without throwing arrows?

Funniest thing... we as parents were watching the Kamehameha video that they give to new students at Kam...

Well the kids there learn how to write a blog in elementary school....

And all of the teachers have blogs already... I'll let you find them.

---------
Damon Tucker's Blog
FBI Blogs

RE: Moving forward: The Digital Era on the Big Island - Guest - 05-09-2009

Ok...looking back at this post... I need to ask the question.

What and why do people fear about the internet?

We are now many years into this whole cyberworld. I hear about friends, classmates, and relatives hooking up with people online.

Technology and the way we communicate is changing.

What can we as Puna Residents do to help progress our community in this digital era?

Do we sit content on our hands and pretend that we want/don't want growth?

I see people asking questions... I see answers... and I see some people working on answers.

How can we really start using the digital world here in Puna to start benefiting all of us?

Punaweb is a great resource... but we need to start thinking outside of Punaweb... And No!!! I'm not talking Blogs!

Let's move way past blogs as those will soon be a thing of the past... what can we really do?

We are an impoverished community here in Puna and we should be able to get money into our area to help with developing more of a digital community in this area.

Is this just too much to think about?

Are people just content with replying on a message board or commenting on a blog? How can we as a community really use the tools that are out there in this digital world to make Puna/Pahoa/East Hawaii/etc... a better place?

I'm playing with different things all the time... but I'd sure like to hear from others on what their vision of a "Digital Puna" area is?

---------
Damon Tucker's Blog
FBI Blogs

RE: Moving forward: The Digital Era on the Big Island - mdd7000 - 05-09-2009

I like this question.

In researching our move to the island, I have noticed the lack of government info and services that are offered via the web. Hawaii could be some much more efficient - saving significant tax dollars - if they came up to the speed of some of the other states.

I was stunned to read about all the steps involved in getting my drivers license and cars inspected and licensed. The county web page advises calling the county office to get the information! That is a huge time waster for government employees.

I know, everyone says "Don't tell someone in Hawaii how it is better somewhere else" but.... Illinois lets you do almost all drivers license activities via the web, including renewal. No need for a visit to their offices. I just renewed my license for 5 more years and will get my new license in the mail any day now.

Side Note:
My mother (age 67) has a computer, uses email, plays on-line bridge, etc. but absolutely refuses to buy anything on-line. She says someone will steal her money. So, when she wants something, I have to go to her house and buy the item for her, with my freakin' credit card! Of course, it is apparently OK if someone steals my money....

The island as a whole must have better access to broadband whether it be DSL, cable or wireless broadband. Satellite is kinda pricey for lower income people, has too many speed quirks, etc.
I have seen that their is a wireless broadband company in the Puna District that offers real high-speed - but they want $1200 for the install and a minimum of $80 a month! $300 of equipment is what they install. I know because I have done a lot with wireless broadband for rural business and residential.

School. We also have had to sign yearly internet access/usage/policy papers.

Students must be taught how to use it, how it works, etc. or they will be left far behind their peers in other schools, states, countries.

My 8th grader just spent a semester learning HTML. All students in 8th grade take this class. They also make their own web site as a part of their grade. I am really amazed at how much he learned and what he accomplished. I should be subbing him out when I get to the island for web design. Maybe he can make me some money for a change! Smile

RE: Moving forward: The Digital Era on the Big Island - PaulW - 05-10-2009

"We are an impoverished community here in Puna and we should be able to get money into our area to help with developing more of a digital community in this area."

I couldn't agree more. Once telecommuting becomes more accepted and people can live wherever they want, then I'm guessing a large number of them will be choosing Hawaii, and Puna. I already know of a couple of people who would be living here aready were it not for the poor internet infrastructure. These are not bad people to have - they usually have good jobs, pay lots of taxes and don't clog up H130.

Telecommuting has so may benefits for companies as wll, it's only a matter of time before it's more widespread. Puna, IMHO, should be investing now to get their share of the telecommuters.

RE: Moving forward: The Digital Era on the Big Island - Guest - 05-10-2009

quote:
Originally posted by mdd7000

The island as a whole must have better access to broadband whether it be DSL, cable or wireless broadband. Satellite is kinda pricey for lower income people, has too many speed quirks, etc.
I have seen that their is a wireless broadband company in the Puna District that offers real high-speed - but they want $1200 for the install and a minimum of $80 a month! $300 of equipment is what they install. I know because I have done a lot with wireless broadband for rural business and residential.

The legislatures and the ISP providers squabbled so much that the legislation to provide faster services to everyone in Hawaii died out this session.

I don't think people in Hawaii realize how slow are "Roadrunner" speed is compared to the Mainland.

And compared to Japan... our speeds are about 1/10th as fast.

People are banking off our time...

Time is money and those that use the internet a lot would be able to be so much more efficient with their time.

How many times have you stood at a cashier or window counter and have to wait because the clerk says something to the effect of...

"Please be patient... I'm letting the computer catch up..."

Or better yet... how long does it seem to take to swipe your card at many businesses?

If our infrastructure was better... you wouldn't sit their and wait for something to be approved... it would be instant feedback.

Sheesh... many businesses still dial in to have credit card companies read their cards.

I get frustrated when we have two or more people trying to download something at the same time on our one RR account split with a router to 4 computers.

---------
Damon Tucker's Blog
FBI Blogs

RE: Moving forward: The Digital Era on the Big Island - mdd7000 - 05-10-2009

I can hardly wait until the move...

I just ran a speedtest during a congested time of day here and got 4303 kbps down and 4727 upload speed! All this for $20.95 a month with no install fee and no contract and no download limits. We routinely watch Netflix and Comcast movies with a S-Video cable connected to the big TV from the computer. There are no delays or pauses.

RE: Moving forward: The Digital Era on the Big Island - Guest - 05-10-2009

mdd...

I'm so disgusted w/ our speed tests here in Hawaii that I quit doing them about 5 or more years ago.

I believe Aaron over at "The Kona Blog" is still doing them at least once a month.

I don't know whether to give up on the issue or push forward.

It seems like many people don't even know what they are missing... or don't care that we are receiving internet services that are crappy.

I guess I'm more frustrated by the mindset of a lot of people and the fact that no one really knows that we are basically being treated like second rate citizens by our ISP providers and Legislatures.

They say "No Child Left Behind" in Education has been a farce with NCLB.

I'm saying "No PERSON Should be LEFT BEHIND".

I truly believe the internet services should just be a common utility needed by all.

Just as Water, Electricity, Roads, etc... everything else is subsidized with tax money... I think that the Internet should be FREE to all no matter what type of income you make.

It really isn't that difficult to do as far as infrastructure goes.

I believe there are some people that don't want an equal playing field and this does go down the old society path of the "Rich Get Richer... while the poor get poorer" thinking.

I think I may begin a bit of a push towards this on my blog.

mdd or Aaron if you are reading... which sites are good speed tests sites... it's been so long since this has been an issue for me... and since I really don't even use bandwidth the way I used too... it's not really as big of an issue.... but I do understand for some "Businesses/Photographers/Videographers/etc" and people that do rely upon the internet that they could be more productive if the services they were using weren't so "Third World".

---------
Damon Tucker's Blog
FBI Blogs

RE: Moving forward: The Digital Era on the Big Island - Obie - 05-10-2009

On the mainland they have fiberoptic cables buried along all the main streets.

Could that be done here ???

Copper wire can only carry so much bandwidth.

The vocal minority always has their way here and would never allow the Aina to be desecrated in this way.