Punaweb Forum
Hating on the Hawaii Tribune-Herald - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Hating on the Hawaii Tribune-Herald (/showthread.php?tid=586)

Pages: 1 2 3

Hating on the Hawaii Tribune-Herald - glennoid - 08-10-2006

Interesting how people's ignorance really shows when they can be anonymous. This started out as an article about drinking being banned on the beach and has degenerated into all-out gay bashing. They can be reached at (808) 935-6622 or (808) 935-6621 if you have questions or comments about the way their forum is run.

http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/articles/2006/07/28/local_news/local01.txt

[Examples of hate-filled comments deleted]

Edited by - glennoid on 08/10/2006 10:27:45

RE: Hating on the Hawaii Tribune-Herald - Rob Tucker - 08-10-2006

I have to ask if there is any useful purpose in repeating this stuff here.

RE: Hating on the Hawaii Tribune-Herald - Aaron S - 08-10-2006

It might've been better if you didn't post all that hate. Also it might be better that you e-mail them instead, like I did.

http://www.stephensmedia.com/newspapers/hi_hawaiitrib.html

RE: Hating on the Hawaii Tribune-Herald - Carolann R - 08-10-2006

EEK. Makes me wanna cry for every gay person I care about.

Carrie

"The opportunities to reach into the lives of others in an inspiring way arise in countless ways every single day..." Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

http://www.hellophoenix.com/art

RE: Hating on the Hawaii Tribune-Herald - glennoid - 08-10-2006

Sorry for any offense from the comments reposted here earlier today. They weren't mine, obviously, but the purpose in posting them here was to inform people about what the paper is allowing on their forum. I have edited my post not to include them directly.

Time is an illusion, but a handy one. Without it, we would not be able to hear sounds, and without that ability, we would have no music.

RE: Hating on the Hawaii Tribune-Herald - Punamom - 08-10-2006

Whats wrong with free speech? I would appreciate a forum that allows everyone to voice their opinions wether I agree or not,Its my choice if I want to READ it or not, or believe it.
I am grateful that these things can be expressed I like knowing exactly what my "neighbors" think especially if its fearful and disgusting.

RE: Hating on the Hawaii Tribune-Herald - mella l - 08-10-2006

"Passage of this bill will prevent incidents of violence, destruction, and mayhem by individuals under the influence of alcoholic beverages against other citizens and park facilities."

This is an interesting article, however if we are looking for opinions, I feel the people who are violent and raise hell will continue to do the same. No amount of threatening will change peoples basic behavior. If this becomes law then where will the enforcement come from?? There are so many lack of enforcement areas all ready.

I would much rather see DUI drivers who kill people not walk out of jail on OR, no bail, no fine, no penalty! It is unbelievable to me the lackadaisical attitude taken on DUI's! Flabbergasting really.

What is the beach, or the fourth of July for that matter without a beer, or an Odouls in the park or on the beach.

The county is barking up any and all trees looking for money, which I understand but lets put some thought into this shall we.

I'm with Carrie on the comments section of the article, how that is allowed is beyond me, simply unbelievable the ignorance, but in one way perhaps forewarned is forearmed. It's hard to imagine the Tribune isn't aware of what goes on it website, opinions and discussions are one thing unabashed ugliness is something totally different.

mella l

RE: Hating on the Hawaii Tribune-Herald - glennoid - 08-10-2006

I believe in free speech too, but every forum has its rules pertaining to decency and respect. The HTH has its rules too, even though it doesn't enforce them:

Feedback Rules
We urge comment writers to treat this as a public forum where manners matter. Criticism is part of American democracy but insults discourage participation. If contributors follow these guidelines, Lodinews.com will leave this forum convenient, anonymous and otherwise unfettered:

Do not issue threats of any kind.

Do not use profanity or attempt to disguise profanity.

Do not post messages using profane or crude names and identities.

Do not insult someone else's contributions or wit.

Do not disguise or confuse identities by using the names of others.
Comments that violate these rules may be deleted. In cases where tempers and abusive comments become uncontrolled, the comments feature may be turned off. There's no need to insult the author of a badly reasoned, uninformed or silly comment. Just make a better one.
— David Bock, Editor

Time is an illusion, but a handy one. Without it, we would not be able to hear sounds, and without that ability, we would have no music.

RE: Hating on the Hawaii Tribune-Herald - Carolann R - 08-10-2006

I don't believe that expressing a feeling of disgust at the ugliness originally posted was inappropriate. People will use their rights to free speech to enlighten as well as spit venom.

It's been my experience that hate often comes from a base of fear. Oftentimes people are fearful of things they know nothing about. They are fearful they will not get what they want or that they will lose something they feel they own. In any arena such as this forum, the value of the open opinions is far-reaching. It teaches us about that which we need to know, and each of us in turn share our collective wisdom.

I was not disgusted at glennoid, but rather the malignant, hateful way in which people express themselves which carries no value to others. I certainly don't pretend that hate doesn't exist. I'm not that GOOD. LOL! I choose to look toward the light because I feel healthier and happier for it. I know myself well enough to know that it's hard for me to shake that ugliness if I participate.

So, I guess a FEW of those comments woulda done me just fine to get the picture. Just hard to take a swim in that stuff LOL!!

(Besides, I'll just email Mella and vent at her! ROFLOL!!!)

Carrie

"The opportunities to reach into the lives of others in an inspiring way arise in countless ways every single day..." Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

http://www.hellophoenix.com/art

Edited by - carolann r on 08/10/2006 13:48:58

RE: Hating on the Hawaii Tribune-Herald - KeithLee - 08-10-2006

I just practiced my freedom to filter out things I am not interested in by not reading the offending forum. Wink
This is something I practice on this forum as well by selectively reading topics and threads I am interested in.
Everyone's got an opinion and sadly most of us are ignorant of the things that effect other people even when we think we know something.
Hating...Schmating. Ban whatever you want...it's the honest folks that follow the rules anyway. I'm sure the regular offenders will appreciate not having all those honest folks getting wasted and creating trouble for them. Smile

Worthless Movie Quote:
"I'll be takin' these Huggies, and, uh, whatever cash you got." - Raising Arizona