Punaweb Forum
Mango Pitter - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Mango Pitter (/showthread.php?tid=589)

Pages: 1 2

Mango Pitter - wyatt - 08-13-2006

Saw a Mango Pitter or splitter on the food network today.
Does anyone know where this can be bought on Island. Amazon has it but don't want to pay shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Mango/dp/B000AREB5S/sr=8-1/qid=1155492387/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-3060304-2322534?ie=UTF8

Edited by - wyatt on 08/13/2006 08:02:34

RE: Mango Pitter - Royall - 08-13-2006

If you find one on the island please post it. That looks like it would be great to have in the kitchen.

Royall

What goes around comes around!

RE: Mango Pitter - punagirl - 08-13-2006

Hey Wyatt, I have the Amazon "prime" membership. So I have free shipping even if the item isn't $25. If you want I would be glad to buy it and have it shipped to your address. You could just send me a check if you want. You should check at Sears. I think some of them sell oxo products. It is possible Safeway might have them too. I hate sending anyone to Wal Mart but they might sell Oxo as well.

Atlanta/Pahoa

RE: Mango Pitter - Hotzcatz - 08-13-2006

Aloha Wyatt,

Take a picture of the mango splitter into Garden Exchange and ask them if they have one. They probably don't, but you can ask them if they will send the picture to the people who make the bamboo splitters and maybe they will start making them. Or get the address from the bamboo splitter folks and send the picture to them.

Hmm, wonder how hard it would be to make one? Can a kitchen knife be bent in that much of a curve without breaking? Maybe untemper the steel, bend it, retemper it and then pop rivet the bent part onto another knife bent the other way? That version would probably need another wooden handle put on the other side so you could push down on both sides. I wonder if it could be done by an oval cutting blade held in the middle of the circle with wires which would cut like a cheese slicer? That might be easier.

We don't eat enough mangos for us to make one, but it could probably be done with a bit of creative tinkering.

Ah, here's an easier idea: find the address of the folks who make the mango splitter and ask Garden Exchange or KTA to start selling them. That might be easier than making one and then someone else would be paying the shipping, too.

A hui hou,
Cathy

RE: Mango Pitter - Carey - 08-13-2006

I checked with Macy's late spring (when the oxo pitter was featured in some mag, I think Honolulu??) and they hadn't heard of it, but would look into it. They didn't have it toward the end of July, haven't checked since. Ross also does have some oxo products, but is definately more hit 'n' miss than Macy's.
Aloha, Carey

RE: Mango Pitter - Robin C - 08-13-2006

There's a restaurant supply place in Hilo on Kamehameha. They have that type of stuff.

RE: Mango Pitter - wyatt - 08-13-2006

Hey Punagirl,
Sounds good I will send you a check. Please E-mail me your mailing address.

A great big Maholo
Wyatt

RE: Mango Pitter - Lucy - 08-14-2006

Hi Wyatt,

I did see someone who was a chef do it this way. Take a regular 6 inch knife, a good sharp one, cut off half the mango along the side of the pit, do the same on the other half. With the cut halves laying out with the flesh side up on a cutting board, score each half into bite side pieces, not cutting through to the peel. So first cut them the long way three or four times across and then the short way four or five times. so you in a sense are cutting them into little square shapes which is how a tic tac toe board looks with the lines, being the scores/cutting lines. Then take one half of the scored mango piece and holding it from behind push up on the skin with the flesh facing upward and the pieces all stand up, so you can eat them off of the peel, or just slice them off.
You can save the cash on any fancy knives, but a filet knife that is bent would do for cutting it off of the pit if you really have to have a curved one.

I used to sell Cutco knives and they are a great set, so I love my knives! Watch out!! Lucy is in the kitchen!! LOL

Aloha,
Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheLanai

RE: Mango Pitter - punafish - 08-14-2006

Just stopped by to see if haoleboy found a way to steer the discussion from mango splitters to religion Smile

Gotta admit, never once in my life have I ever considered buying a mango splitter. But now that I've read about the finer points of mango splitting and see that everyone else in this thread seems to want one...well...then it must be good and I think maybe I've gotta have one too! Smile Seriously, look forward to hearing your product reviews...

And Punagirl, your aloha is an inspiration.

Aloha!

Tim
"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands, and then work outward from there." Robert Pirsig

RE: Mango Pitter - rick j - 08-31-2006

The Mango splitter is great. Bought one after reading the post, had it delivered and bought a box of mangos at Costco on my way home !! It is a wonderful kitchen tool !!

My wife & I are in a mango hangover, its fun to use, and very little waste.

Got to go, all this mango talk makes me want another one !!!

We will be on the BI 9-4-06 looking at propertys.

Aloha, Rick J.