Punaweb Forum
Face of Puna - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Face of Puna (/showthread.php?tid=6150)

Pages: 1 2 3

Face of Puna - Hazen - 12-15-2009

So there is always lots of talk here about legalizing pot.

My response; YAWN.

Then i get to thinking about what economic and social changes that would have on our community. Anyone remember what ice did? That was an entirely different drug. Pot could make or break this community. What say you?

Stoners and deadbeats in the streets panhandling, gangsters buying up land to create organized crime farms, increased guns and violence, and stories of displaced Punatics?

OR

Organically farmed, co-op land of plenty, increased arts and culture, massive influxes of revenue and tourism, and sane longterm sustainability?

Nevada just changed its prostitution laws in a minor way that will probably allow for male prostitution. Sounds unsexist right? Lets see what that does. We never know what the longterm or unforseen consequences are going to be.

What say you? Potheads or Peaceniks?

(i know they're not mutually exclusive)

- Entertained Observer

RE: Face of Puna - Kelena - 12-15-2009

Many people travel to Amsterdam for just two things, which they can enjoy simultaneously. Those two things aren't the gorgeous Bruegel paintings and the delicious rijsttafel. There is no question that Puna would become a major center for tourism if people could enjoy Puna Butter while exploring a steamy puka or atop a volcanic pillar that makes you go "a'a". The problem is that Puna is not the master of its destiny. I am sure if it was, its destiny would be even nuttier, greener, more smoke-filled and better policed on the things that matter most. The problem is that Hawaii has outgrown its counties. Hawaii is one County, but it has regional interests that are somewhat at odds with one another. We don't get the taxes anyway. Let's secede and control our destiny. Free Puna! Yes on Smoky, Tourist-filled Dens of Iniquity! (Measure 9).

RE: Face of Puna - Devany - 12-16-2009

I doubt if Hawaii is going to be the leader in legalizing pot. Just not gonna happen. Look for it in the states which have legalized gay marriage first, they are more forward thinking.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com

RE: Face of Puna - leilaniguy - 12-16-2009

We already got stoners & panhandlers in the street. Don't you ever shop at Cash&Carry? As far as big changes, I don't foresee any. Pot has been Puna's biggest cash crop for many years now and will be as long as it's illegal somewhere.

RE: Face of Puna - NWGUY - 12-16-2009

I believe that there are so many pot smokers in the US that if the government were to come up with a feasable way to tax the stuff there would be no federal defecit. Issue commercial, licensed growers permits for a percentage of the crops cash value and have a realistic penalty system in place for those who cheat the system. You will never stop people from using a plant that many feel is a gift from god. Sell joints in the liquor store with a state tax stamp. Think of all the money our state and federal government would have. We might even have enough left over to ensure that our kids will be able to get and education in school.

Just my .02 worth.

RE: Face of Puna - asly - 12-16-2009

Well... I just have to say that never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that Montana would have legalized medical mj - and here we are, popping up all over the state are legal growers, brokers, etc. So, you see, pigs really do fly and someday it may become legal in other states that we think don't have a chance and legal beyond the whole medical mj farce.

Enjoy the day! Ann

Back to blogging at
http://crazypineappledream.blogspot.com

RE: Face of Puna - Del Pranke - 12-16-2009

I'm not opposed to legalization, but let's keep the facts straight. In America, 64% of Americans drink beer. Estimates range between 20 to 45% for the number of people who smoke pot regularly.(Twice a month or more) In Amsterdam only 20% of their citizens reported trying pot. In neither place is there a believable study of how many people actually smoke pot. That means that making public policy about the stuff is guesswork.
My bottom line here is: Pot smokers probably exaggerate the number of people who smoke. They think virtually everyone smokes because they tend to socialize with those of like mind. The authorities on the other hand seem to be driven by a mentality formed from fifties movies like "Reefer Madness". It's surprising how much so-called scientific research has been put out which is biased by the same social attitudes. Not likely that those engaged in an activity which is considered criminal by the courts are going to be part of surveys which might jeopardize their freedom. Until we know what the numbers are, and until unbiased(read not paid for by law enforcement) research is done, we cannot be sure that our fellow citizens are not being railroaded by a beserk legal system. Wouldn't be the first time in America.

RE: Face of Puna - 808blogger - 12-17-2009

Reefer madness is from the 30's, the weed hysteria has been going on since before the 50's, however in the scope of history even US history, its a relatively short time period.

RE: Face of Puna - jon_Brown - 12-17-2009

I think the number of people who actually partake, or rather, would partake, would be different if it were legalized. In theory, that means your job can't fire you for it, right? I know plenty of people who would but can't due to their jobs (excluding medical and law enforcement, i guess...)

RE: Face of Puna - oink - 12-17-2009

quote:
(excluding medical and law enforcement, i guess...)
Why? If it's so safe why would you care if cops and meds smoked off duty? Would you want anyone doing it on duty? Dump truck drivers? Bus drivers? teachers? I guess it would be ok for the bass player.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.