Punaweb Forum
Scrabble - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: Scrabble (/showthread.php?tid=6274)

Pages: 1 2 3

Scrabble - Guest - 10-07-2009

I miss playing Scrabble. I see people playing at Borders but I'm too shy to barge in. I was just wondering who here likes to play.

Not talking competitive level or anything. I do have the official Scrabble dictionary and the lists of two letter words, words using Q without U, and so forth. Bought them last year when I got a portable Scrabble for Christmas.

Sadly, the males in my family cannot spell. They are highly intelligent, but spelling eludes them ... so they won't play with me.

This is meant as survey on who likes to play.
As for actually meeting up to play, I know it's a long shot because I prefer to stay in Hilo, and obviously most of you live in Puna. [Smile]

RE: Scrabble - kani-lehua - 10-07-2009

LOVE it and have played since small kid times. still playing against "maven" on the puter. dont' like playing scrabble blast.

"chaos reigns within.
reflect, repent and reboot.
order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

RE: Scrabble - Carey - 10-07-2009

I used to love playing, too. Haven't for years (more into group games with the monkey... now with less monkey time...

What is playing against "maven'???? What is scrabble blast??? Am I getting old????

RE: Scrabble - missydog1 - 10-07-2009

*sighs in relief*
that makes two of us who are old. I have no idea what kani is talking about. kani please translate for us relics.
Monkey?
<confusion reigns>
I haven't played Scrabble for years either, but I'd like to play because it gives my brain a certain kind of work-out. Which I clearly need.

RE: Scrabble - HiloHaole - 10-08-2009

There a two "official" dictionaries. One is the Player's Edition and the other is the real one that's used in tournaments. The latter has all the non-PC words. You can only order one if you join the official Scrabble organization and pay dues. However, you can find the list off words on the internet. The Player's Edition was created to put in the hands of kids. The company was trying to gain fans and, therefore, sell more units. To me, it's deceptive marketing to use "Official" in the Player's edition -- there's nothing official about it.

RE: Scrabble - kani-lehua - 10-08-2009

maven = is the name of the "computer player" in the cd-rom version of the game.

scrabble blast = an online timed game where you spell the words before bombs go off.

some time ago, one could play a version of scrabble on i think yahoo. but, no longer. there might be a paid version available though?

kathy, carey affectionately calls jim "monkey".

---------------

"chaos reigns within.
order shall return."

RE: Scrabble - Kapohocat - 10-08-2009

I would be interested in getting a group together to play. I used to play a long time ago with a group at the Longhouse in Ainaloa! That was fun!

(I too am saddled with incredibly intelligent but spelling challenged people at my house! )

RE: Scrabble - kani-lehua - 10-08-2009

wondering? when you play a word, do you also have to know its definition? i've been playing hearts lately and had forgotten how much i enjoyed scrabble.

"chaos reigns within.
order shall return."

RE: Scrabble - missydog1 - 10-08-2009

No, you don't need to know what it means. In fact, so many words are allowed now that I doubt people who memorize these lists of words know them all.
Just has to be in an approved dictionary.

RE: Scrabble - Devany - 10-08-2009

They have games and I think I saw Scrabble at the new Hilo Burger Joint.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com