Punaweb Forum
from the star bulletin - puna fresh foods - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: from the star bulletin - puna fresh foods (/showthread.php?tid=6412)

Pages: 1 2 3

from the star bulletin - puna fresh foods - Bullwinkle - 11-04-2009

Hilo's Sure Save pares work force
Foodland Super Market's acquisition of the lease for Puna Fresh Foods at Keaau Town Center will result in 52 employees losing their jobs Nov. 15.

Foodland will take over the store from Sure Save Super Market Ltd., and plans to reopen it later this month as Foodland Keaau.

A total of 110 employees previously worked at the Sure Save operation, and a notice of the 52 terminations was filed with the state Department of Labor and Industrial Relations to add detail to the earlier filing, said Carl Okuyama, president.

RE: from the star bulletin - puna fresh foods - Carey - 11-04-2009

I have heard from some of the employees that they will be terminated, and must re-apply for their positions... Did the article state that Foodland is going to run the store with only about 1/2 the employee load

I could see that there may not be a need for all of the staff, esp. if there is duplication of services in things like purchasing, HR & such. Gotta admit I never noticed an abundance of staff at the store, & 110 employees for that store seems like a bit more than I would expect.

Even if there were 4 full time shifts ( I don't think there were) that would be over 27 employees on staff per shift... I never noticed that many working... esp. in checking the shelves... but I do admit I started avoiding the place more & more because of the many times I realized they had out of date products on their shelves....

RE: from the star bulletin - puna fresh foods - mdd7000 - 11-04-2009

It may have been a lot of 19 hour a week specials which is why the 110 employee figure. The current Hawaii health insurance has created a large pool of people with no insurance and multiple part-time jobs. I know of people with 2 and 3 jobs that still don't have health insurance and are barely making ends meet.

RE: from the star bulletin - puna fresh foods - Blakeyboy1 - 11-04-2009

This is a real shame. I am all for business being able to run profitably otherwise what is the point. But unfortunately it seems simple sustainability with happy well cared for employees is not an option as double digit growth and pleasing wall street is the only goal. Just one guys observation and opinion.

-Blake
http://www.theboysgreatescape.blogspot.com/

RE: from the star bulletin - puna fresh foods - mella l - 11-04-2009

quote:
Originally posted by mdd7000

It may have been a lot of 19 hour a week specials which is why the 110 employee figure. The current Hawaii health insurance has created a large pool of people with no insurance and multiple part-time jobs. I know of people with 2 and 3 jobs that still don't have health insurance and are barely making ends meet.

That is a shame and it has been going on in the banking sector for 30 years or so.

mella l

RE: from the star bulletin - puna fresh foods - Kapohocat - 11-05-2009

I just love the guy who works in the fish section. He has been there so long and is really nice. I asked him about the change and he said he has to reapply for his job. he said he is sort of lucky that if they dont rehire him (which would be just a shame), he is old enough to retire. He said many of the "kids" wont be so lucky.

RE: from the star bulletin - puna fresh foods - nmorata - 11-05-2009

I'm sure foodland, will not keep their staff levels at a minimum...i know when this develops, i'll probably be doing alot more shopping here than at downtown hilo...the foodland downtown is nice and the one in waimmea is faaaaancy, hope we can get that in keaau.

Noel
plantalohics check out
http://theplantwhore.blogspot.com/

RE: from the star bulletin - puna fresh foods - dcl - 11-05-2009

I plan on shopping there also, as long as they clean it up and keep things up to date for expiration dates that will be an added benefit as well. I used to shop there alot until Malama opened up.

I am looking forward to the change, and hope they do it well.

RE: from the star bulletin - puna fresh foods - kani-lehua - 11-07-2009

there will be changes especially to the refrigeration. yes, all former puna "fresh" employees had to re-apply. some of the current sullivan family of companies' employees will do a lateral transfer, yet some will have to apply for positions.

i believe the "fish guy's" name at PF was poncho. he was always so nice. hope he gets re-hired.

regarding part-time positions: the trend at the sullivan family of companies tends to be 20+ hours per week with benefits for the employee only.

"a great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices."

w. james

RE: from the star bulletin - puna fresh foods - Samdooby - 11-07-2009

One of the things that will sadden me is if the new Foodland discontinue selling the "offal" meats Puna Foods used to sell.

Sweetbreads, bible tripe, smooth tripe, honeycomb tripe, cow tongue, pig tongue, pigs ears, chicken feat, beef cheek, etc etc were specialty meats that were a joy to us that enjoyed it. One of the only places on the Big Island where these meats were sold. It will be a shame if they discontinue these meats try to turn it into a fancy-schmancy Foodland ala Waimea. Puna folks are not Waimeans and vice versa. I tried asking around regarding this issue but no one could give any definitive answers. In any case, I applaud the change while being weary...[xx(]