Punaweb Forum
super easy homemade bread - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: super easy homemade bread (/showthread.php?tid=6521)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

super easy homemade bread - csgray - 11-25-2009

I stumbled across an article on baking no knead bread on a day whenI once AGAIN discovered mold on a loaf of bread I hadn't gotten a single piece of. When I am paying up to $6 a loaf for high quality bread it really pisses me off when it molds right away. I think a lot of bread sold here was bagged warm and that increases the mold risk.

As a former professional baker a gazillion years ago, the thought of bread you don't knead was totally counter intuitive, but I figured the proof was in the pudding, so to speak. I was blown away by the results! This is good bread, and while it requires advance planning, it doesn't take much time or baby sitting. There now are a ton of variations, but this bread recipe started as a 4 ingrediant round loaf, which is baked in a dutch oven on 450. So far I've done one of those, a whole grain sandwich bread variation, and tonight started the dough for a cibatta loaf and pizza.

Do yourself a favor, and Google no knead bread, the online videos are especially helpful, and recipes for variations abound. I figure each loaf is costing me about half a buck, including electricity.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!.

Carol

RE: super easy homemade bread - Royall - 11-25-2009

Bread baking is an addiction! I started baking about 3 months ago and have gone though almost 50 pounds of flour!! The "no knead" bread is OK, but I like to work with mine to get a better crumb and flavor. Love making the artisan breads! I made homemade pizza and sauce tonight for dinner and topped them with pepperoni, mozzarella, mushrooms, pineapple, and Parmesan cheese! Just a little better that Pizza Hut '^)

Royall

RE: super easy homemade bread - Carey - 11-25-2009

As a taste tester for the pizzas, WAY better than any PH, or any other flat pizza* (the herb infused dough was yummy!).

*(disclaimer) Being from the Chicago area, I will not judge the flats with Chicago style, just wouldn't be fair....
and Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinders is one of the most unique & a favorite for us in the Chicago style...

RE: super easy homemade bread - Chuysmom - 11-25-2009

Aw c'mon yous guys - nothin' like a New York pizza, where I come from! And we don't call 'em "Buffalo Wings" in Buffalo! LOL

Seriously Carol, anyway to cut the cost of your bread here is good by me! If you like it - and it's easy, go for it!

I too like snooty bread like our Royall makes, but it's all good.

By the way - I am always floored over what LOVES Bakery charges for freakin' bread crumbs for stuffing! Either I make my own loaves in my machine, or like today I bought three loaves of artisan french bread at Safeway (2.19 per 1 lb. loaf) and they are staling in the oven as we speak...I refuse to get gouged on bread crumbs!!

Carrie

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it." Galadriel - LOTR

RE: super easy homemade bread - dcl - 11-25-2009

This is a super easy and simple bread that I have been doing for months. It is best the first day, normally I will half it and make just one loaf, It looks like a french bread loaf when done. I can have it ready and on the table in less than two hours from start to finish. I have used it for pizza dough, cinammin rolls, dinner rolls. Credit goes to gumpsgirl on BYC message boards.

Just make sure you roll it out like it says at the end, this is the secret to getting it to set up right for baking.

2 cups warm (almost hot) water
4 tsp. yeast
1 Tbsp. sugar
-Combine together and let rise for 5 minutes

1/4 cup oil
5 cups bread flour
2 tsp. salt
-Add to yeast mixture and knead until smooth and elastic. (I use my KitchenAid mixer w/ the dough hook to do this. If you have a mixer with a dough hook, it makes this process MUCH easier!)

Cover and let rise for 20-25 minutes. Beat dough down and make into loaves (this recipe makes 2 loaves). Here's the trick to get your bread to come out right. You need to roll out the bread into a rectangle, then roll up into a loaf, like you would when making cinnamon rolls. Lightly slice top of bread to get diagonal cut look when baked. Let loaves rise (I put my loaves on separate cookie sheets) for 20-25 minutes. Bake on 350* for 20-25 minutes, until top of loaves are golden brown. Let bread cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing.

RE: super easy homemade bread - KeaauRich - 11-25-2009

All you potential bread bakers should check out a book called "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day" by Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois. Scrumtious bread that is sooooo easy. You mix the ingredients in the "master recipe" (no kneading), let it sit for 2 hours, then shape, rise and bake a loaf if you like. The recipe makes 4 1 lb loafs, so whatever you don't bake on day 1, you leave in the fridge for up to 2 weeks! The longer the dough sits in the fridge, the more "sourdough" flavor it develops. When you want bread with dinner, you scoop out a softball size lump of dough, shape it, let it rise for 45 minutes and bake. Using Jeff's baking method, the loaf comes out crusty and tasty! Once you've mastered the generic recipe, there are variations for making all kinds of breads and pastries using the same premise.

RE: super easy homemade bread - Youser - 11-25-2009

We NEVER buy bread here - it's too sweet, too full of transfats, too expensive, too 70's and just plain awful. And I mean all the bread here, not just grocery store bread. Someone could make a killing with a half decent bakery.

We make our own in a bread maker - it takes a few tries to find the right mix of ingredients for your location but once you have it figured out, it's easy. Home made bread goes stale in a day so you have to freeze it if you don't eat it all at once.

If you don't have a breadmaker try Jim Lahey's easy recipe:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

- but don't use as much water as he says! You have to just add enough to get a "shaggy" dough, (it does take a little experimenting). It's a great way to make bread if you don't like breadmakers and don't want to spend hours kneading dough.

This bread has a great crust and is full of air, because you let it knead itself by letting it sit for 18+ hours. Time does all the work.

RE: super easy homemade bread - mella l - 11-26-2009

Well some of the best bread I've had was eaten right there on the East side! Yep the "Lamont Ranch" bread is some of the very best. I recall the most yummy slice of semi toasted homemade bread with a vein of dried chopped mango, papaya, coconut, raisin and nut on the front porch with a large latte. Um.

Wow Royall be careful you might just get snagged up like a good catch and so multi talented!

Happy bread making all, thanks for the ideas and Happy Thanksgiving!

mella l

"New York London Paris Hilo"

RE: super easy homemade bread - Hotzcatz - 11-26-2009

There is a bakery for sale, but it is up in Hawi. Kinda a long trek to Puna.

My current favorite bread cookbook is called "Bread Alone". It is mostly about rustic chewy crunchy crust breads.

It's been years since we've had to eat store bought bread. Last year we got a grain grinder so now we can get more flavor in the flour, too. Slow food is the best food. Sometimes I make quick breads that are done in several hours, other times, it is a long twelve to sixteen hour process to let the yeast flavor the bread more. Each loaf is always different since baking bread is fun to experiment with.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

RE: super easy homemade bread - Royall - 11-26-2009

What do you pay for wheat and where do you buy it? I don't know if I'll get that far into it but sure sound interesting to do your own grinding!

Royall