Punaweb Forum
What are you reading? - Printable Version

+- Punaweb Forum (http://punaweb.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Punaweb Forums (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Punatalk (http://punaweb.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Thread: What are you reading? (/showthread.php?tid=6866)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

What are you reading? - Greg - 02-11-2010

I just finished "Camouflage", by Joe Haldeman, who is turning into one of my favorite science fiction authors(He's in some pretty esteemed company)

I'm starting "The Brass Verdict" by Michael Connelly.

I'm very stoked that the Pahoa Library is opened again. [Big Grin]

By the way; The Pahoa School administration had to cut the position of "school librarian" for budgetary reasons. This means that school kids aren't allowed in the library without a teacher, during school hours. I feel bad for the kids, but it does make the place much quieter.

Stoneface

RE: What are you reading? - macuu222 - 02-12-2010

Started reading "Pirate Latitudes" by Michael Crichton(just published last month). Michael Crichton died in Dec 2008. They found this complete manuscript in his home shortly after his death. Not even his publisher knew he had written it. It's about pirates in the Caribbean circa 1640 (kind of like the Movie "Pirates of the Caribbean" with Johnny Depp). Pretty good read so far. I hear that Steven Speilberg is also making it into a movie.

RE: What are you reading? - Samdooby - 02-12-2010

90 Minutes in Heaven by Don Piper

and

A Parrot in the Oven by Victor Martinez

RE: What are you reading? - dakine - 02-12-2010

The Aubrey - Marturin series (Master and Commander being the first in) by Patrick O'Brian.. for the second time. I just can't get enough of (well written) historical (wooden ships) naval fiction. There's just something about that in my blood.. somewhere!

RE: What are you reading? - JerryCarr - 02-12-2010

"Adolf Hitler" by John Toland. First published in 1976 when many of Hitler's associates, household employees, and friends (yes, he apparently had some) were still living, this meticulously researched and footnoted work is considered one of the definitive biographies of the German dictator, although others sold more copies. Toland looked deeply into Hitler's family of origin and his surprisingly banal and middle class social life after he became Chancellor of Germany. Despite the dark subject matter, it's actually an entertaining read.

RE: What are you reading? - csgray - 02-12-2010

"The Lacuna" by Barbara Kingsolver. It's got early 20th century Mexico, Trotsky, Diego Rivera, Frida Kahlo, and the Red Scare in fifties United States. Excellent read from one of my favorite authors.

Carol

RE: What are you reading? - holahan - 02-12-2010

"What the Buddha Taught," by Walpola Rahula. Easy understanding of the Buddhist teachings...

Alohaz... :?)

RE: What are you reading? - KeaauRich - 02-12-2010

At first glance, I thought Holahan was reading a book called "What the Bruddha Taught"...thought it might offer good insights about Island life Smile

I'm reading "Game Change" by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin. It's a behind the scenes look at the last presidential campaign. Lots of verified juicy gossip, but reminds me of the saying "those who love sausage should never watch it being made..."

RE: What are you reading? - holahan - 02-12-2010

Along the lines of "What the Bruddah Taught," could be the story of Eddie Aikau "Eddie Would Go." It's a great read too and Eddie's story is a great one... Smile

RE: What are you reading? - Devany - 02-12-2010

Just finished Jack London in Paradise by Paul Malmont. I also just finished Cleaving by Julie Powell (Julie and Julia)and right now I am reading the Song of the Exile by Kiana Davenport. Next on the shelf is The Wilder Shores of Gastronomy (assorted food writers).

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com